Marcus Rashford

Also when Ross Greer and him collided over Churchill i don’t have a problem with Morgan’s stance in that argument as it’s clearly what he believes in and he gave Greer plenty of opportunity to get his point across.

No he didn’t, he literally cut him off while live on air.

But I kind of get what you’re saying, Morgan has been very outspoken against the government recently which makes a change from him usually being a c**t.

Tories really are reprehensible scum. How can anyone be against free meals for poor kids?

Starmer should be hounding them every minute of the day until they change their stance. The useless fud is probably still trying to come up with a strongly worded statement about the Cummings saga though.

1 hour ago, John Lambies Doos said:
3 hours ago, NJ2 said:

Looking at figures from the Scottish government for between 2013-18, white British people in relative poverty was 18% while “mixed, black or black British and other” was 38%. Poverty spans all races but more BAME people are in poverty than white.

Not disputing that at all. The BLM movement is pushing for equality and breakdown of institutional racism which is progressive and right. However this article is about feeding children who are in poverty or in unsafe environments across the UK. Appreciate that %there will be more black than white but overall there will be more white. I'm just questioning why he needs to mention race here.

The UK Gov has came out with some of its usual wishy washy nonsense about helping BAME people after the BLM protests. Marcus Rashford is using his position to show an area where the BAME population are, again, holding the shitty end of the stick in greater proportion than white folk. He doesn't "need" to mention race but it seems quite obvious that he's got an opportunity here to highlight more disparities and force the government into action

23 hours ago, peasy23 said:
On 15/06/2020 at 11:31, NJ2 said:
Rashford really is a decent young guy. Unfortunately the Conservative party see things like the rise in food bank usage as an example of how good the food banks are rather than a failing on their behalf. The poor can look after themselves or die, as long as we continue to get richer. We won’t change the tories but we have to try to change the public perception of them and get people seeing them for what they are.

Dominic Raaaab said the people who use food banks aren't poor, they just have a cash flow problem.

FTFY. (Sorry, can't stop myself!)

33 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

No he didn’t, he literally cut him off while live on air.

But I kind of get what you’re saying, Morgan has been very outspoken against the government recently which makes a change from him usually being a c**t.

I’m not sure  cut him off exactly Greer was saying about how so many of Churchill’s cabinet were disgusted by him and had finished talking when Piers tied it up with “you know what I find disgusting ... you!” It wasn’t like Greer didn’t have his fair chance to speak and it was an enjoyable debate.

Again I never minded him being a smug p***k, he was always good at opening up debate. He has been relentless from the start of this outbreak and doesn’t give a shit about who he upsets so fair fucks to him.

3 hours ago, 101 said:

Morgan has been outstanding during the pandemic. Obviously made horrible mistakes in the past but he's second to none at the moment.

3 hours ago, throbber said:

Yeah he has been great, I never was one for taking offence to him before as he always spoke his mind and came across as being genuine rather than trying to pish any sort of agenda.

3 hours ago, 101 said:

I don't think after the phone hacking scandal he can be described as always great. But agree he is usually above pushing an agenda, he's a journalist that won't let anything stop his pursuing a story, that is usually important but sometimes there needs to be boundaries.

Morgan has always been and will always be a grade A cúnt. No amount of saying what is popular at a specific point in time will change that. Whether it's mocked-up photos of squaddies, phone hacking, insider trading (throwing colleagues under the bus as well) or his lengthy affair with the Orange Mussolini over the pond, he'll never be anything else.

Back on topic- UK Govt now doing a U-turn. LBC giving credit to Rashford, but I think Sturgeon coming out first must have been a factor.

Have we discovered something which can actually embarrass these cúnts?

Not really a follower of English English fitba but Marcus Rushford makes more sense than most politicians do, a lot of politicians generally don't a have clue about the real world. Far too many areas have never recovered from the decline of industry and if we head into another recession it's only going to get worse.

I wonder if any of his fellow pros will come out and add to this.

24 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Marcus Rashford getting more results against the Tories than any Labour politician has managed since 2010.

The Labour Party should be ashamed of themselves.

Keir Starmer should appoint Rashford as his new political adviser.

Labour don't need to oppose anything tbh- just wait until the government gets criticised in the papers and they cave just about every time. They keep giving the rope and the government continues to hang itself. 

It was a daft thing to oppose but refusing and having another u-turn when the criticism rolled in shows you just how weak Johnson is, even with a massive majority behind him. Other than leaving the EU regardless of a deal or not being in place, I am struggling to think of something else where he's actually shown conviction. 

Hang on, I forgot about Cummings. There we are - there is something else he can show conviction on! 

Edited by Michael W

4 hours ago, 101 said:

Morgan has been outstanding during the pandemic. Obviously made horrible mistakes in the past but he's second to none at the moment.

His entire shtick is jumping on something he thinks is popular, running with it and then shrieking at people who disagree. He was like this with Trump and then that weird "I identify as a penguin" argument he got into.

It's certainly not principles that do this - anything he can use to self-promote himself. 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jun/16/marcus-rashford-politicians-nurses-footballer-ministers

Marcus Rashford is 22 years old and the reason desperate families will now continue to receive free school meal vouchers during the holidays. During lockdown, this prodigiously talented campaigner has started a charity that has raised millions to feed 400,000 children, partnered on a drive to counter homelessness and now wants to stop 1.3m British children going hungry this summer. Any other CV points – minor interests, hobbies, stuff like that? Ah yes, hang on: he also plays as a forward for Manchester United and England. Today, in a powerful plea that has succeeded in forcing a government U-turn - Rashford wrote: “I don’t claim to have the education of an MP in parliament, but I do have a social education.”

And we’ll come to Gavin Williamson, the 43-year-old secretary of state for education, in due course. Suffice to say Gavin has gone so missing in the biggest game of his career that the coastguard has called off the search and it has now become a matter for the Hubble telescope. As for the prime minister … shortly before Marcus Rashford was born to a single mother who he idolises for her tireless work and sacrifices, Boris Johnson was writing that single mothers were producing a generation of “ill-raised, ignorant, aggressive and illegitimate children”. Which, let’s face it, means so much more coming from him.

For now, a reminder of where we were two-and-a-half months ago. Taking the podium at a government press conference, even as Covid-19 was ripping silently through the care homes he’d later lie he’d put a “ring of steel” around, Gavin’s cabinet colleague Matt Hancock was very keen to show he had his priorities in order. “I think the first thing that Premier League footballers can do is make a contribution,” Matt proclaimed. “Take a pay cut and play their part.”

Well there you go. It must have seemed such an easy win, for politicians who know nothing about footballers, or indeed about football. Or, increasingly, about winning. Just a reminder of where the “world-beating” UK currently is: we have the third highest death toll in the world, the OECD has predicted we will have the worst-hit economy in the developed world, and we are on course for one of the slowest and most socially painful exits from lockdown. If this is world-beating I’d hate to see us lose. I don’t need to tell you that during this entire shitshow, under their exclusive management, the government has only suggested a single group in our society should take a pay cut: Premier League footballers.

To dispense with the more irrelevant end of the housekeeping first: Premier League players were going to take a pay cut anyway when Matt was going for his headline; they announced the 30% reduction within hours; and have since contributed in a vast and mostly unpublicised number of ways to social and charitable initiatives within their communities and beyond. But even if they had done absolutely none of that – genuinely unthinkable – imagine Matt Hancock, secretary of state for health in a time of pandemic, spending even one minute having a view on what footballers were doing. Because that actually happened. I know the buzzphrase is “easy to say in hindsight” – but on the basis that I wrote about it at the time, I’m going to have to go with “easy to say in sight”. This is not a matter of retrospect – it was always a matter of spect.

As is the observation that what is happening right now to children – most particularly the vulnerable, but far beyond too – will be a disgraceful stain on this government. Schoolchildren in this country are in crisis. A fifth have done little or no schoolwork at home, with four in ten having no regular contact with teachers. When Tory MPs are being besieged by constituents asking them where on earth the Nightingale-style plans for schools are, let alone the Nightingale schools themselves, then something has gone catastrophically wrong, for which Gavin Williamson at the very least should be taking a 100% pay cut.

Why has the government failed children so incredibly badly, in ways that will damage many of them for ever? Did they think people wouldn’t notice? The negligence is so enormous that it demands several interlinked theories. For what minuscule amount it’s worth, I have one for the set. The men – and it is almost exclusively men – who have stood behind Downing Street podiums for months telling us what a great job they’re doing have a somewhat unreal understanding of what has been happening in the domestic sphere since lockdown, because this has never been how they themselves have lived. My suspicion is they have wives who have done huge and disproportionate amounts of home and childrearing work for them, while they have climbed the greasy pole. This has insulated them from the realities of how others live, and consequently from forming anything like an informed appreciation of how they might currently be living under the privations of lockdown. What ends as the failure of a generation of children began simply as a failure of imagination.

That would certainly fit with the Sunday that Dominic Cummings spent in No 10 not getting sacked. Then, you might recall, he contrived to persuade Boris Johnson and Michael Gove that driving to Durham was a rational and normal response to maybe having to do some childcare while ill. On the one hand, Johnson’s government would have attempted to keep Cummings if he’d explained he’d driven to Durham in order to carry out a series of ritualistic sex murders. On the other, he had perhaps found two perfect individuals to sell this particular bridge to. Boris Johnson and Michael Gove have the air of guys who would genuinely think driving hundreds of miles in high lockdown was reasonable on the basis of something they would regard as a unique situation. Seriously, what else could Dom do? Certainly not his own childcare, like other human earthling parents.

At the end of the day, to fall back on a football commentary staple, it’s guys like this who have failed schoolchildren and vulnerable children. The lives other families have been forced to lead during lockdown haven’t felt in their purview, even when – in the case of Williamson – it is literally their official purview.

So we are left with a 22-year-old footballer having to point out the realities to men whose job it is supposed to be to know. The one thing people love to say about footballers is how many nurses’ salaries their contracts could pay for. Oddly, nurses and footballers seem to be the only two currencies traded on this exchange – which must be to the great satisfaction of politicians. And yet, purely in terms of moral worth and strategic competence, how many Gavin Williamsons would you have to amass before you were even close to the value of one Marcus Rashford? How many Matt Hancocks? How many Boris Johnsons? Perhaps it’s time to move the goalposts and ask those questions instead.

Marina Hyde is a Guardian columnist

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

1 hour ago, bennett said:

Not really a follower of English English fitba but Marcus Rushford makes more sense than most politicians do, a lot of politicians generally don't a have clue about the real world. Far too many areas have never recovered from the decline of industry and if we head into another recession it's only going to get worse.

I wonder if any of his fellow pros will come out and add to this.

1 hour ago, ICTJohnboy said:

The Labour Party should be ashamed of themselves.

Keir Starmer should appoint Rashford as his new political adviser.

Maybe if the media gave the likes of Angela Rayner, for one, a fair hearing...

It's the fucking electorate who should be ashamed of themselves.

Fair play to young Rashford - following in a fine tradition of footballers remembering where they came from. I wonder if johnson would have buckled if Sturgeon hadn't acted, though.

9 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Maybe if the media gave the likes of Angela Rayner, for one, a fair hearing...

It's the fucking electorate who should be ashamed of themselves.

Fair play to young Rashford - following in a fine tradition of footballers remembering where they came from. I wonder if johnson would have buckled if Sturgeon hadn't acted, though.

I don't believe the Scottish electorate have anything to be ashamed of.