Serious incident in Glasgow

Hrhm. 
If I had to guess then ordinarily when someone gets a bit stabby, once the police show up they either surrender outright or drop the knife and bolt? Considering an officer ended up in hospital after getting stabbed I highly, highly doubt there was any viable alternative but to shoot with lethal munitions to end the threat to the public.
afaik non-lethal stuff like rubber bullets and tazers haven't got anything like the stopping power of proper guns. edit: im pretty sure even low calibre actual firearms can be remarkably shit at incapacitating somebody, for example
I would hazard a guess that in most knife crime incidents in Scotland that the perpetrator has long departed the scene by the time the police show up.

Just now, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

The most harrowing part of the whole episode is the damage to my eyes and brain caused by the new worst portmanteau in history, “Refuweegees”.

Disgusting. Should be added to the banned word filter.

Refuweegee has been running as a charity for 5 years, based in various places on Byres Road (now in the old FOPP), and has done some tremendous work.

I'd agree with you. Apparently a police officer was stabbed in Wishaw a couple of weeks prior, however that didn't merit an armed response team of that magnitude (This is according to someone on that thread btw, would be easy enough to search for it in the news). I think the response was justified; as you say, this was someone who was intending on killing a decent number of people, and not just attacking a police officer. 

Two were stabbed, however what happened there was a sporadic incident where the police came across the man with the knife whilst dealing with something else, no one phoned the police reporting ‘man with a knife’ which meant no consideration for sending firearms was made initially. No body actually knew the police officers needed help until a member of the public grabbed the injured officers radio and got them help. By that point it still wasnt clear what was happening so all available police in the division etc responded meaning the cops probably got the guy disarmed or he gave up when he saw how many police officers turned up.

Whereas this incident in Glasgow appears to be a call directly relating to the use of a deadly weapon which meant firearms officers were probably on their way to a set Rendezvous point awaiting ratification, meaning they were in a position to move in. From what i’ve read online a taser was used in the Glasgow incident yet had no impact (ive yet to have that 100% confirmed). Also bolstered by the fact its less than a mile from the main armoury.

But both the wishaw and glasgow incident or any incident involving a deadly weapon would justify the use of a firearm or the deployment of it.

46 minutes ago, madwullie said:

I agree with most of this, but like someone said earlier in the thread, if someone has stabbed 5 people and a polis, I don't think it's that out of order to get the guns out. It really doesn't mean that any wideo that pulls a blade gets shot, and it isn't because he's an asylum seeker he got shot. It's because he showed that he was willing to commit mass murder. Shit as things have been for them (and the really really have, it's a fucking disgrace imo) the police can't really be expected to take that into consideration when 6 folk are bleeding out. 

Yes he was obviously a danger to residents, staff and police and I see why he was taken out. I posted it more for the info on the situationthat the asylum seekers have found  themselves in. the ferret article I posted gives a first hand account of folke getting removed from homes and flung in these hotel set ups.

I don't see how the police can distinguish between a berserk weegie, a committed Al Qaeda operative or a badly treated refugee who's lost his tether, if there's blood everywhere, 6 people on the floor, he's looking for the next victim and you have a gun. 

32 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

Racial subtext to the firearms response? 

To be fair I don't think there's even been a multiple stabbing incident of this nature in Scottish history before either, so I guess everybody's on new ground here...not that we haven't historically had issues with knife crime especially around Glasgow, but by and large anything fatal is either a drug/gang related in-house job, a domestic or just a  couple of drunk neds out their depth.

I feel for the cops who are in a no-win situation in this instance...if the had taken their time in responding or had held back resulting in more casualties they'd just as predictably be being castigated from many of the same sources as they are at the moment.

Just now, welshbairn said:

I don't see how the police can distinguish between a berserk weegie, a committed Al Qaeda operative or a badly treated refugee who's lost his tether, if there's blood everywhere, 6 people on the floor, he's looking for the next victim and you have a gun. 

No mate, what’s happened is that the emergency call has gone in and the responder has asked the crucial question ‘what colour is the attacker?’. After learning that the attacker is, in fact, non-white, he has hit the ‘send armed response unit’ button as opposed to the ‘send social services’ one. It’s clear as day. ACAB

To be fair I don't think there's even been a multiple stabbing incident of this nature in Scottish history before either, so I guess everybody's on new ground here...not that we haven't historically had issues with knife crime especially around Glasgow, but by and large anything fatal is either a drug/gang related in-house job, a domestic or just a  couple of drunk neds out their depth.
I feel for the cops who are in a no-win situation in this instance...if the had taken their time in responding or had held back resulting in more casualties they'd just as predictably be being castigated from many of the same sources as they are at the moment.

Im sure the officer who took the shots is being supported, those at the incident are being looked after and David is being treated well (as are all the victims).
Theres so much people can speculate on but how about this fact, whatever happened, in a time of crisis, the first people to assist David and the other injured were asylum seekers, people who could have run away and got to safety, stayed, provided first aid and helped police carry those hurt out the hotel, thats why we help asylum seekers, they are good people, they have worth as humans and we should absolutely welcome them here. Who knows right now what led to that incident, it may be a while before everything comes out, but f**k me please please please dont let the far right make capital out of this.

In this day and age, someone indiscriminately knifing folk in a city centre is getting shot. Theres no ifs or buts about it. Theres not enough info available to the police fast enough in that scenario for them to be sure there arent lots of lives at risk, be it through willingness to die for the cause, or in worst case, a suicide bomb.

I dont think all police should be armed, but I dont think theres a choice for the armed lads in this type of scene. Happy to be proved wrong as details emerge but unfortunately, one of the 'successes" of theis type of terrorism is that it puts people on edge because it can happen anywhere with no notice. No police force are going to try and talk that situation down anymore.

ETA of course the whole response must be fully investigated but if the Police thought he was going to get even one more dig at a victim he had already hit or get to someone else then shooting him is ok with me. His life for an innocent bystander is a fair trade.

17 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Yup. And I'm all for anybody going around blading folk to get shot right between the eyes. 

13 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

No mate, what’s happened is that the emergency call has gone in and the responder has asked the crucial question ‘what colour is the attacker?’. After learning that the attacker is, in fact, non-white, he has hit the ‘send armed response unit’ button as opposed to the ‘send social services’ one. It’s clear as day. ACAB

No responder would ever ask that question.

11 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Im sure the officer who took the shots is being supported, those at the incident are being looked after and David is being treated well (as are all the victims).
Theres so much people can speculate on but how about this fact, whatever happened, in a time of crisis, the first people to assist David and the other injured were asylum seekers, people who could have run away and got to safety, stayed, provided first aid and helped police carry those hurt out the hotel, thats why we help asylum seekers, they are good people, they have worth as humans and we should absolutely welcome them here. Who knows right now what led to that incident, it may be a while before everything comes out, but f**k me please please please dont let the far right make capital out of this.

100% this, do not give those racist arseholes a single inch, spouting uninformed rhetoric & coming out with the sort of nonsense that that girl did allows them to recruit weak minded fools to their "cause".