Cancel culture

2 hours ago, bennett said:

Midwives have been told to say “chestfeeding” instead of “breastfeeding” and to replace the term “mother” with “mother or birthing parent” as part of moves to be more trans-friendly.

Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust is the first in the country to formally implement a gender inclusive language policy for its maternity services department, which will now be known as “perinatal services

Staff have been instructed that “breastmilk” should be replaced with the phrases “human milk”, “breast/chestmilk” or “milk from the feeding mother or parent”.

Other changes include replacing the use of “woman” with “woman or person” and “father” with “parent”, “co-parent” or “second biological parent”, depending on the circumstances

This has genuinely angered me.

I'm all for inclusivity, and the use of gender neutral terms where required, but as a blanket policy it borders on ridiculous.

There will be an incredibly small number of people that this would have offended. Where do we draw the line?

Edited by Todd_is_God

I guess I am old and outdated because reading that statement by Charisma I am thinking "what's the problem?". We have all had absolute shitcunts as bosses. Weinstein got cancelled for being a serial rapist. This guy just sounds like a dick. She says he "weaponized my womanhood against me" but not everything is  a Machiavellian scheme. Sometimes, people simply are just dicks. You cannae go around canceling people for being dicks, can you?

9 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

What is nerd culture?

It used to be just an interest in things like video games, Japanese animation, science fiction & fantasy...pretty much anything niche that people get a bit (or a lot) obsessive about, barring manly things that real manly men do, like drinking, sports, winching burds, etc.

Since a lot of these things have become mainstream pop culture, it's developed an element of defensive protection of geeky interests from perceived outsiders, especially anybody who thinks that maybe sexualising all the female characters in everything is more than a little weird and creepy..

2 minutes ago, Lofarl said:

She also did a topless photoshoot and starred in a remake of Bound so I’m told.  Not that I’ve seen any 04:02 length videos or anything.

Thankfully, it doesn't look like it's a remake of the Wachowski's classic Bound, although I've just realised that's a quarter of a century old now and probably ripe for a remake jesus christ.

2 minutes ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

I guess I am old and outdated because reading that statement by Charisma I am thinking "what's the problem?". We have all had absolute shitcunts as bosses. Weinstein got cancelled for being a serial rapist. This guy just sounds like a dick. She says he "weaponized my womanhood against me" but not everything is  a Machiavellian scheme. Sometimes, people simply are just dicks. You cannae go around canceling people for being dicks, can you?

She says he made her come into work whilst heavily pregnant at 1am as a retaliation for going down to reduced hours due to the pregnancy.

Also, pulling a newly pregnant woman into your office and asking “are you keeping it?” is completely unacceptable and deserving of being shunned.

1 minute ago, Aladdin said:

Gina Carano also the latest to fall victim.  Lost her spot on the Mandalorian for being a raging Trump supporter and all round batshit crazy conspiracy theorist.

The final straw was announcing to the world that Trump supporters are being treated like the Jews in Nazi Germany.

Not being herded into camps and executed; no, that would be batshit. She just meant that Trump supporters are being badmouthed in the same way as people slandered Jews before the physical assaults and genocide started, and that the Dems will be coming to do all that stuff soon. No biggie.

What a fucking moron.

4 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

She says he made her come into work whilst heavily pregnant at 1am as a retaliation for going down to reduced hours due to the pregnancy.

Also, pulling a newly pregnant woman into your office and asking “are you keeping it?” is completely unacceptable and deserving of being shunned.

I think it's cause he also self-consciously traded on his image as being a forward thinking feminist directly off the back of shows like Buffy. Turning out to be a pretty crass workplace bully that makes misogynistic comments towards the women on your show undermines that.

ETA: Nothing but respect to Gina Carano throwing away literal bags of money because she couldn't stop posting.

Edited by NotThePars

10 minutes ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

I'm OK with dicks being outed if it means that they have to watch their behaviour or find themselves overlooked for positions of responsibility. No idea why we should be protecting these people.

But then, I have it on good authority that your former colleagues thought you were an absolute cow, your ladyship. Maybe work on the people skills, eh?

2 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I'm OK with dicks being outed if it means that they have to watch their behaviour or find themselves overlooked for positions of responsibility. No idea why we should be protecting these people.

But then, I have it on good authority that your former colleagues thought you were an absolute cow, your ladyship. Maybe work on the people skills, eh?

Aye, of course, I am down with dicks being spoken about and avoided, but people like Weinstein are absolute irredeemable pariahs for doing unspeakable, inhuman acts, and I am not sure your standard issue dickhead should get spoken about with the same vicious reprobation. But I don't actually know who this guy is so maybe there's context I am missing.

3 minutes ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

Aye, of course, I am down with dicks being spoken about and avoided, but people like Weinstein are absolute irredeemable pariahs for doing unspeakable, inhuman acts, and I am not sure your standard issue dickhead should get spoken about with the same vicious reprobation. But I don't actually know who this guy is so maybe there's context I am missing.

Weinstein deserved, and got, worse. He's spending the rest of his life in the jail.

Joss Whedon's just starting to have his former work colleagues reveal to the world who he is, now that most of them are deep enough into their careers that they don't have to give a shit about being blackballed anymore. Seems fair; he wouldn't be complaining if he'd treated them decently and they talked about it.

1 hour ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

I was wondering where the abuse was going to start. He does sound like a bullying twat (from hearing one side of the story) but that's trivialising the word "abuse" and doing a disservice to people who have suffered actual abuse.

Maybe there's more to it, i don't know. 

Edited by coprolite
Realised it says "accused" and that he abused his power. So my rant is aimed at something that no one said. What a cock.

Well, the word derives from Old English mid, "with," and wif, "woman," and so meant "with-woman," that is, the person who is with the woman (mother) at childbirth. So no, it shouldn't

I disagree. Bennett is right here.

If the terms “breasts” or “breast feeding” are offensive or non inclusive to some people, so much so that some bright spark thought it was necessary to introduce these terms to our language - then why have they not gone a step further and changed midwife?

I think it’s fucking ridiculous tbh. Why are things like this being introduced to appease a tiny group of oddballs who get offended by this stuff? I think it is very strange and I don’t get it.