Dundee Utd, Raith & Cove wanting us all to contribute towards legal fees

I've been a supporter of my team for over sixty years and can honestly say that this request is the biggest piece of bare faced cheek I have come across.

Not content with being "awarded" promotion for a campaign that none of them had actually won, the three teams United, Raith and Cove, now want the rest of us to fund a legal action that they didn't need to get involved in in the first place!

I would like to think that if my team was in the same position as Hearts, Thistle and Stranraer they would be taking the same action 

As an old Naval friend of mine was wont to say  "Foxtrot Oscar".

In terms of Cove Rangers, I assume they have some sort of benefactor ploughing money into them given the players and management team they employ vs their average attendance figures.

It seems like a real brass neck to be asking your rivals, from a league that you just bought, to help fund your legal battle to confirm your promotion from said league. If that’s the route they wish to take and it leads to success then fair play to them but I sincerely hope all the other League 2 clubs tell them where to go. 

6 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

In terms of Cove Rangers, I assume they have some sort of benefactor ploughing money into them given the players and management team they employ vs their average attendance figures.

It seems like a real brass neck to be asking your rivals, from a league that you just bought, to help fund your legal battle to confirm your promotion from said league. If that’s the route they wish to take and it leads to success then fair play to them but I sincerely hope all the other League 2 clubs tell them where to go. 

I'm pretty sure clubs like the wee Rovers and Elgin are just desperate to find a home for that spare £1,000 that's burning a hole in their pockets.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

If Belgian law was in force in Scotland, aye.

The issue in Belgium was they suspended the top flight, but allowed the second tier to continue. The relegated top flight side obviously had a decent argument there.

54 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I'd assume that would be the case. Given the way things have been for a lot of clubs up North, I'd imagine that they'll be like Ross County and patch the cost off to a wealthy benefactor in the energy industry who'll make a sizeable donation. 

4 hours ago, Hammer Jag said:

Celtic fan pontificating about clubs behaving in a proper manner?

Please stop. 

Partick will pay dearly for this one way or the other.

You'll regret getting into bed with the junior **** and being their bitches.

Begging for money from them too.

Minter.

Edited by Romeo

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

The issue in Belgium was they suspended the top flight, but allowed the second tier to continue. The relegated top flight side obviously had a decent argument there.

...how?!  How did they work out it was safer to play one than the other, and then picked presumably the one that mattered less?  Just different club decisions?  I know Belgian football's an absolute clusterfuck, but still.

5 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

If your club are going to contribute, I hope you ask for a repayment when they do get the resources.

I have no idea if my club will contribute, although I will point out that they voted for reconstruction the last time.

Would agree in general that asking for other clubs to donate is a bit of a minter though.

7 hours ago, Elgindiamond said:

I've been a supporter of my team for over sixty years and can honestly say that this request is the biggest piece of bare faced cheek I have come across.

Not content with being "awarded" promotion for a campaign that none of them had actually won, the three teams United, Raith and Cove, now want the rest of us to fund a legal action that they didn't need to get involved in in the first place!

I would like to think that if my team was in the same position as Hearts, Thistle and Stranraer they would be taking the same action 

As an old Naval friend of mine was wont to say  "Foxtrot Oscar".

Were you a Clydebank supporter until 2002?

12 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

If Hearts & Partick win their case at arbitration then the the compensation these clubs are asking for will essentially be paid for by the rest of the clubs. The SPFL don't have £10million salted away in some bank account, it'll come out of prize money etc. United have a bit of a cheek considering they've just spent on a new manager and will probably do the same on new players. I have sympathy for Raith and Cove however. 

Ultimately Hearts and Partick have behaved in disgraceful fashion. Personally I hope they both lose the case (likely) and are expelled from the league for bringing the game into disrepute. Hearts going to the wall as a result would be a pleasing bonus also. 

You just go and worry about your shambles of a club heading for the financial buffers( again).

...how?!  How did they work out it was safer to play one than the other, and then picked presumably the one that mattered less?  Just different club decisions?  I know Belgian football's an absolute clusterfuck, but still.

They'd already played the first leg of the second tier promotion play-off, so decided to try to schedule the second leg so that they could decide who should get promoted.

The issue is that they have two separate halves to their second tier season, and the two winners play-off to decide who goes up (Leuven and Beerschot). The alternative would be to promote the team with the most points overall, but that is a third club (Westerlo) which obviously adds an extra level of confusion.

Imagine that in League 1 you had the title race between Raith and Falkirk, but then a consequence of stopping the season was that Airdrie went up, and you can see why the Belgians might do it that way.

1 hour ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

You just go and worry about your shambles of a club heading for the financial buffers( again).

Sounds like Partick might not be doing so well on the financial front. I suppose if Hearts are bankrolling them they should be safe for the time being,

13 minutes ago, Tenkay said:

I think the 3 teams, Dundee United, Raith Rovers and Cove **** are actually right to ask for help with legal fees, but are going about it the wrong way asking lower league clubs who are worried about their own finances at this time.

The 3 teams were top of their leagues on merit and shouldn't now be having to worry about raising money to fight for their rightful promotions.

Either the SPFL should be dealing with this for them, or fuking Hearts that are causing all the problems for everyone else should pay the bills.

They didn't have to get involved its their choice. They could quite easily have left it to the spfl to get on with it.  Once they made the choice its up to them to fund it and not everyone else in the league. Again going by the amounts mentioned if that's going to put any of them under then they really are in big trouble. They're just not wanting to have to reduce their playing budgets to pay for this thats all.

2 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Were you a Clydebank supporter until 2002?

Absolutely wiped the floor with me there.

Did you think that up all by yourself?

Didn't mind the Bankies at all.

Played them in the one and only Spring C

up final at Firhill in a classic game.

Cheers