WoSFL Premier Division thread

1 hour ago, Vanderbilt said:

Pitch inspection at 9am at the Darvel swamp.
Clubs with crap grass pitches shouldn’t be allowed in the league.

Do you honestly prefer astro to grass, slenderbilt?

1 hour ago, Vanderbilt said:

There is a pitch inspection at 9am - FACT

Darvel had no game last week though so no football at all.

Must be something far wrong with the park as there  has hardly been a drop of rain this week 

13 minutes ago, Vanderbilt said:

It’s better than unplayable swamps 

So you wouldn't prefer to have your team play on a well maintained natural surface? The way football had been intended on being played on? I think atmosphere at games is worse when on astros. 

Other than training facilities during winter, I really don't see the need for teams to have them for games. 

A club as well supported as Clydebank should be on grass. Astros are horrible surfaces to watch games on. 

33 minutes ago, Darvel legend said:

Must be something far wrong with the park as there  has hardly been a drop of rain this week 

If pitch inspection needed then something is up with park, very little rain forecast tonight. Being no more than average rain fall this week either. 

I can't see why the pitch wouldn't be playable. Imo it should be in good nick this weekend. Fairly mild this week other than a couple of mornings with light frost. 

31 minutes ago, rhubarb1974 said:

So you wouldn't prefer to have your team play on a well maintained natural surface? The way football had been intended on being played on? I think atmosphere at games is worse when on astros. 

Other than training facilities during winter, I really don't see the need for teams to have them for games. 

A club as well supported as Clydebank should be on grass. Astros are horrible surfaces to watch games on. 

How many "well maintained" natural surfaces are there at this level? Apart from Talbot, which is always exceptional, there aren't too many others, especially this deep in the season. 

So if you are asking would I rather watch my team on a good quality astro, on on the "problem pitch" that is Darvel, or the mountain slope that is Beith, then yes I would rather watch on astro. 

I bet there's a big overlap between the "I ❤️ Astro" gang and those who are permanently beelin' at any mention of Junior football. Weirdos who adopt bitterly entrenched positions on daft shite. 

I don't hate astro as much as I used to but it's inferior to the real thing. Astro proponents used to be able to argue that elite teams were adopting it and they were being progressive in getting it too, but that trend has reversed dramatically and it is seen as - at best - a necessary evil because you can just ask the cleaner to run the Henry Hoover over it and it's good to go for the local ammies.

Well after an underwhelming performance last saturday beaten only by the Willy Wonka Experience down the road in terms of disappointment im hoping the Bankies can get things back on track and get right into Darvel. Always a difficult place to go and play football with that pitch and what not but hopefully we can get 3 points. 

Just now, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Well after an underwhelming performance last saturday beaten only by the Willy Wonka Experience down the road in terms of disappointment im hoping the Bankies can get things back on track and get right into Darvel. Always a difficult place to go and play football with that pitch and what not but hopefully we can get 3 points. 

Get the excuses in early, I am sure the last couple of season youv'e played us down here our pitch was in top condition so are you saying your players struggled when the pitch was good, do they need a bad pitch to help win a game? Maybe the surface will play into your hands then if it isn't as good as what it was the past couple of years?

33 minutes ago, DanMan said:

How many "well maintained" natural surfaces are there at this level? Apart from Talbot, which is always exceptional, there aren't too many others, especially this deep in the season. 

So if you are asking would I rather watch my team on a good quality astro, on on the "problem pitch" that is Darvel, or the mountain slope that is Beith, then yes I would rather watch on astro. 

Take away KRR and Arthurlie, I would say the rest of the natural grass pitches are all to good level even at this time of year. Beith is on a slope however that is an issue more to do with land than surface. 

1 minute ago, rhubarb1974 said:

Take away KRR and Arthurlie, I would say the rest of the natural grass pitches are all to good level even at this time of year. Beith is on a slope however that is an issue more to do with land than surface. 

So you enjoy teams shooting up and down a hill. Away and give me peace. 

Good level? Darvel, hardly any rain in the last 2 weeks, but needs a pitch inspection. Glens, a mud heap at the best of times. 

10 minutes ago, DanMan said:

Good level? Darvel, hardly any rain in the last 2 weeks, but needs a pitch inspection. Glens, a mud heap at the best of times. 

If Beith want to get their pitch level, they'd need to undertake a large cut and fill exercise, that doesn't change if the go to astro you still have same problem. 

I personally can't see why we need an inspection, I have made comments on the matter before, it is a concern if the club has spent considerable money on the pitch and the drainage has failed this soon. I don't know anything else about it or what is causing the trouble. That again is no different to if a new astro is installed and the drains fail on it, you would be left with a bigger issue as you have less natural drainage on an astro.

Although the drainage is ultimately Darvel's issue I don't think it would be fair to blame the club for this, they brought in a reputable contractor to install the new pitch, the club never cut corners etc...or hired a one man band with no experience in doing the work, if the drains have failed it is fault of the contractor not the clubs. 

1 hour ago, Shanner said:

I bet there's a big overlap between the "I ❤️ Astro" gang and those who are permanently beelin' at any mention of Junior football. Weirdos who adopt bitterly entrenched positions on daft shite. 

I don't hate astro as much as I used to but it's inferior to the real thing. Astro proponents used to be able to argue that elite teams were adopting it and they were being progressive in getting it too, but that trend has reversed dramatically and it is seen as - at best - a necessary evil because you can just ask the cleaner to run the Henry Hoover over it and it's good to go for the local ammies.

In fairness truly elite teams moved onto "hybrid grass"

1 hour ago, rhubarb1974 said:

Get the excuses in early, I am sure the last couple of season youv'e played us down here our pitch was in top condition so are you saying your players struggled when the pitch was good, do they need a bad pitch to help win a game? Maybe the surface will play into your hands then if it isn't as good as what it was the past couple of years?

That makes no sense. Did the Bankies not win 3-0 on your "good" pitch.

5 hours ago, Darvel legend said:

Somebody must have gone on it last week going on it when it was far too soft and got stuck in there machine leaving massive tracks on it 

18 hours ago, DanMan said:

Glenaftons pitch has had a fair amount of investment and professional input over the past few years and is in better condition for this time of year than I've ever seen it.