Live Aid

My sis in law was staying over on Saturday, we got talking about it being 35 years since live aid, and dug out the DVD to watch a bit. It shows where Queen's standing in the music world at the time was when they were on in late afternoon, with Elton John and Paul McCartney being the bill toppers at Wembley. Whatever you think of Queen, they were the band that stole the show and had the biggest bounce in sales etc after the event. U2 weren't far behind, although the rest of the band thought Bono had fucked it after going walkabout, leading to a 12 minute unscripted version of Bad, meaning they only played 2 songs in their slot instead of the 4 had planned.

I watched it right through from start to finish, too young to realise the significance of Led Zeppelin playing together, but they were utterly shite on the day. Watched their performance on Saturday and it is cringeworthy.

There was a documentary on the other night about it and this was confirmed as a fallacy. Geldof's actual words were "give us the money" but absolutely everyone remembers it as "give me your fucking money" because of how animated he was at the time. 
U2 said they nearly chucked Bono out of the band for that dancing bit too as they didn't know where he'd gone or what the f**k they were meant to be playing whilst he was pissing around with a fan. A real chance missed there and I personally hold the other members of U2 responsible for the years of shite we've had to endure from Bono since.
EDIT - The documentary really hammered home how much a shambles the day was too. Getting Paul McCartney on stage for the first time in 6 years and the crowd not being able to hear him until the last chorus being a particular hilarious f**k up.
Tbf, The Joshua Tree, Rattle and Hum, and Achtung Baby were all post Live Aid, so for all that he is a pretentious p***k these days, it wasn't all bad.

2 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

I watched it right through from start to finish, too young to realise the significance of Led Zeppelin playing together, but they were utterly shite on the day. Watched their performance on Saturday and it is cringeworthy.

That documentary I mentioned earlier was hilarious when discussing this. Phil Collins in full "I'm not shite, they were shite" mode. Led Zep have apparently put a fair bit of effort into removing all video evidence.

Just now, peasy23 said:

My sis in law was staying over on Saturday, we got talking about it being 35 years since live aid, and dug out the DVD to watch a bit. It shows where Queen's standing in the music world at the time was when they were on in late afternoon, with Elton John and Paul McCartney being the bill toppers at Wembley. Whatever you think of Queen, they were the band that stole the show and had the biggest bounce in sales etc after the event. U2 weren't far behind, although the rest of the band thought Bono had fucked it after going walkabout, leading to a 12 minute unscripted version of Bad, meaning they only played 2 songs in their slot instead of the 4 had planned.

Far be it from me to suggest that this might have been some artistes' main motivation, but fúck me, Adam Ant? Howard Jones? Nick bloody Kershaw?

That documentary I mentioned earlier was hilarious when discussing this. Phil Collins in full "I'm not shite, they were shite" mode. Led Zep have apparently put a fair bit of effort into removing all video evidence.
They aren't on the official DVD, so must have blocked being on that, but it's still on YouTube.

4 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
18 minutes ago, The Moonster said:
There was a documentary on the other night about it and this was confirmed as a fallacy. Geldof's actual words were "give us the money" but absolutely everyone remembers it as "give me your fucking money" because of how animated he was at the time. 
U2 said they nearly chucked Bono out of the band for that dancing bit too as they didn't know where he'd gone or what the f**k they were meant to be playing whilst he was pissing around with a fan. A real chance missed there and I personally hold the other members of U2 responsible for the years of shite we've had to endure from Bono since.
EDIT - The documentary really hammered home how much a shambles the day was too. Getting Paul McCartney on stage for the first time in 6 years and the crowd not being able to hear him until the last chorus being a particular hilarious f**k up.

Tbf, The Joshua Tree, Rattle and Hum, and Achtung Baby were all post Live Aid, so for all that he is a pretentious p***k these days, it wasn't all bad.

Achtung Baby was shit, Rattle and Hum survived on covers and new versions of old tracks (though it wasn't a bad listen), and The Joshua Tree was a decent album at the time but, in hindsight, shows the first signs of "we're not a band, we're a phenomenon" self-aggrandissement we'd come to know and detest from the egotistic wee midget.

Fair enough, Band/Live Aid was a phenomenon and did at least some good*,.
*But nowhere near as much as you'd have hoped.

There is a case that Live Aid caused more deaths than it prevented. A lot of the money raised was passed through the Ethiopian Government, who were a major cause of the famine. This helped them and probably elongated the civil war by several years, causing thousands of deaths.

I went as Freddie Mercury to a charity fancy dress thing a few years ago.

I was goaded into miming I want to break free on the stage.

I occasionally still wake up in a cold sweat about this.

45 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

34 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

U2 were meant to play Pride (In the Name of Love) after Bad but as it went on for ages (and included a few bars of Ruby Tuesday, Sympathy For The Devils Satellite of Love and Walk On The Wild Side for some reason) was scrapped.  Bad was a bit of a strange choice as well - you'd have thought they'd have gone for something more up-tempo like I Will Follow.

Edited by Highland Capital

Me and my sisters got banished to the back room to watch it on the b&w portable TV while dad (whose musical taste was more The Corries than pop) watched something else on the colour TV in the front room 

I can remember Queen and, err, Dire Straits 

It was also hot and sunny in Edinburgh. I think at one point I went out to muck about with my mates.

22 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

They aren't on the official DVD, so must have blocked being on that, but it's still on YouTube.

Jeezo, faults all round but what song did Phil Collins think he was thrashing along to? Worst drumming ever.

Early doors at Wembley, Sade.

U2 were meant to play Pride (In the Name of Love) after Bad but as it went on for ages (and included a few bars of Ruby Tuesday, Sympathy For The Devils Satellite of Love and Walk On The Wild Side for some reason) was scrapped.  Bad was a bit of a strange choice as well - you'd have thought they'd have gone for something more up-tempo like I Will Follow.
Bono fucked off stage and left the band still playing Bad, they could probably have squeezed in another song if he had hung about.

The shambles continued after the show. A story I heard is a major tractor manufacturer in the UK got a phone call from the people distributing the money. I'm paraphrasing and the numbers aren't right but - 

"How much is a tractor?"

"Depends what you want it to do"

"Just a basic tractor"

"What do you want it for?"

"We're Live Aid and we want as many tractors as we can get for £1million to send to Ethiopia"

"OK, there's three ways you buy tractors outright. As you're shipping them abroad, I'd recommend the tractor unit plus full tools and spares and a service agreement. Cost is £80,000 each"

"We want cheaper"

"Hmm, for £70,000 we can supply the unit with the toolkits and the most common spares but you'll really need to train people up to maintain them"

"Cheaper, how much for just the tractor - no spares, no tools, no service"

"£50,000 but we really, really do.."

"Done. We'll take twenty"

9 months later

"Hey you, all those tractors you sold us have broken down"

"Well we did tell you"

"You have to go and fix them at your cost or we're going to go to the press and tell them your crap tractors have all broken down and poor Ethiopians are starving"

"Go f**k yourself"