Post lockdown pubwatch

Post your experiences here.

Thread inspired by my first proper day/night tour after the lockdown.

The Graeme Hotel. One way system for entry and exit, hand sanitizer and table bookings in place. Other than that, normal pub experience despite being quiet. 7/10

Behind the Wall. Absolutely shite. Humourless staff offering flimsy excuses for having less than half of their beers on tap, forcing you to order drinks via app. Welding masks and acting like you had done an Ebola shite in their breakfast. Shite pub experience. 2/10

Monterey Jack's. Fine. Exactly as you would expect food wise, plastic cutlery and glassware. That aside, dod their best to make it normal. 7/10

Wellington Bar. Similar to Greame Hotel above and Railway Tavern below. Perspex in place for bar staff but other than that pretty normal. Bar staff diligent but not over the top. 7/10

Railway Tavern. As above. 7/10

A night out in Falkirk will be sans-Behind the Wall for the foreseeable as it was fucking rancid.

What can we expect from pubs around you P&B? Where is doing well and where is doing badly?

West Brewery. They’ve chucked loads of extra tables on the grass outside, so the “beer garden” is huge now. Drink being sold from a van outside, limited menu. Pints in plastic cups. Place was mobbed.

Balloch House - Queue at the door before being taken into a side room to register online with their app, before you’re allowed in. All table service. Tennents lager was sold. All round pleasant experience.

Visited two Hamilton establishments at the weekend,

Firstly Manhattan, pretty much the same as always, poor pints of Tennents poured by busty wenches. Only difference was no standing at the bar.

Secondly went to The Courtyard which was a completely different experience. Got their about half seven, had temperature checked at door and signed in, drink served from behind a perspex screen, perspex screens separating all the tables and the pub closed at 8pm to sanitize for the 9pm - 1am slot. A better pint than Manhattan it has to be said.

Still waiting on The Vaults reopening so I can get a decent pint.

The Fleet Bar.... usually my favourite T experience, barman was there himself, said they had no T as T had fucked up the order, said he only had B Best, left straight away gutted. -10/10

Contented Sole....A big wire drum turned over with artificial grass over it and empty kegs to sit on, a brilliant effort. Pints were glorious,  as I like it, sat on my tod. 8/10

Tavern.... Sunday lunch and dare I say the carlsberg was outstanding. Picked the table furthest away from other humans, the owner went out her way to make you feel safe. 9/10

I wont be going in any pub just now, but sitting outside with table service is acceptable and delightful 

Edited by heedthebaa

Mayfly - utter shite. Nothing to do with lockdown but it seems to have become a bar for fat 50 year olds in RL polos

Innes & Gunn - utter shite. Have a booking system but took 20 minutes to get in and another 25 minutes to get a drink. Very limited selection of drinks. Staff completely disinterested in serving. Fucking stupid toilet system where you have to ask for key behind bar.

Phoenix - Perfect. Like nothing has changed 

Windsor buffet, Leith Walk - notes on the tables with a qr code and link to sign in. No perspex up but only half the normal seats available and masks on if away from your seat. Key for the loo in a Tupperware full of Dettol on the bar is strange, especially as it doesn't actually lock the door it's purely symbolic. No T so a few pints of neck oil were enjoyed.

Station Hotel - One served at a time and contactless or card payment only. Tennants on tap but served in plastic cups. Beer garden massively expanded. However no contact details taken - 7/10

Twa Tams - table service only, went for food here also. Beer garden was dead bar one other table in use. Tennents on tap served with glass. Toilet was a one in one out job. Contact details taken for all party members. 7/10

The Auld Hoose - only place where temperature taken and contact details. Very busy with all tables taken and people being turned away. Improved without the karaoke machine in the corner. 8/10

The Bank - Scan a code to gain access and enter details and shown to a table, however no bar service and have to wait for people to come and serve at the table which took an age. 5/10

The King James - busy, we were lucky to get a seat and a drink, one way system for the bar. Again improved by no music machine blaring shite chart music. 8/10

First foray back to the pub was actually up visiting her relatives, so Plockton Hotel, sitting outside as it was a nice-ish day, but indoors it was perspex on the bar and every table separated with wood/perspex as well.  We managed to get a steady stream of cold pints of T on the go and the view was not bad. 

zSxBP1J.jpg

Although tonight, i'm attempting a few beers in Glasgow city centre, interested to see how this will go as it all seems to be a big unknown. Pubs you think would be open are not, no clear indication if you need to book or can just walk in for the ones that are open. Have one place booked and the rest will just be walking in and see what happens. I'll report back tomorrow. 

Also, last train home for me is just after 9pm apparently! No idea when pubs will chuck people out. 

Edited by thistledo

Visited two Hamilton establishments at the weekend,
Firstly Manhattan, pretty much the same as always, poor pints of Tennents poured by busty wenches. Only difference was no standing at the bar.
Secondly went to The Courtyard which was a completely different experience. Got their about half seven, had temperature checked at door and signed in, drink served from behind a perspex screen, perspex screens separating all the tables and the pub closed at 8pm to sanitize for the 9pm - 1am slot. A better pint than Manhattan it has to be said.
Still waiting on The Vaults reopening so I can get a decent pint.
Standing at the bar at the Manhattan is difficult at the best of times. I didn't think they'd be able to implement any kind of measures due to its size so it's reassuring that they're just... not.

Myself and the other half are staying in Edinburgh tonight (Jurys Inn using loyalty programme points, so it’s the only time I’ll ever get a cheap night this time of year!). Does anyone know what it’s like in Rose Street or Royal Mile for a beer?

As an aside we were in Portpatrick for 2 nights this week and the bar in the Crown Hotel was fine. Staff in masks, one way in & out with 2 folk allowed at bar to be served. Same in couple other hotel bars and only issue was there wasn’t a mask in sight by any of the tourists being worn anywhere, albeit I suppose the beach and harbour areas are fine as long as folk stay distanced.

In the Graeme Hotel beer garden last night for a good couple of hours, not really any notable differences other than the closing times. A nice place to enjoy a pint of T.
To top it off, I woke up this morning without a hint of roughness. Lovely.
I didn't. I am fucking dying here.

Are pubs mostly just trying to avoid groups mingling while allowing the groups themselves to forgo social distancing as if they were a household (I've worded that terribly)?
From my experience, yes.

Guest bernardblack

Tickety Boos.

App to order and the staff bring the drinks out on a tray and let you take them off.

One way system for the toilet and sanitising stations.

Best pint of tennents in Dundee

10/10