Post lockdown pubwatch

In order

Outdoors:

Church on the Hill - 4/10 they definitely had distancing down but they had promised stuff like temperature checks etc and we went on day 1 and had already binned it, they were supposed to be booking only and someone rocked up and saw their pals and came in without being contact traced 🙄.  Avoiding.

Hotel 10 - 7/10 wee bit expensive and only losing points for that, nice space outside, order on an app and it's brought to you, tables all spaced out.  Would return outdoors

Rum Shak - 9/10 I had never been in for food before so I didn't realise how good it was, I'd never managed to get a real seat out the back before so that was grand.  When you get in they go through all their rules etc.  Would return outdoors

Indoors:

Bell Jar - 10/10  been in twice both times I just felt comfortable, some faces behind the bar I haven't seen in ages is nice too, one way system and table service, masks on when you are away from the table.  I decided after night one and asking around about what other places were doing that I was just going to stick to the one indoors pub. 

32 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Even at the best of times why does anyone go to Dows when there are decent pubs a few yards away?

Laughing at the railway flotsam and jetsam is about all I can come.up with.

Bring back The Vale, I say!

The Vale is much missed but other than that Queen Street has long been a black hole in terms of decent pubs, at least when you're doing the crossover from Central. 

11 minutes ago, superbigal said:

Been playing footgolf in groups of 6 at Drumoig and retiring back to mate with biggest back garden. Decent seats and weather. Beer sub £1 a can/bottle. Partaking in petanque. Takeaway delivered from TajMahal.
Really is so much better than the boozer life.
I'm carrying on this way.

The Scottish climate will decide otherwise soon enough.

Ended up in just two pubs last night -

Tay Bridge Bar - Very clear about their rules and it felt quite organised. First time I had been in a pub since March so wasn’t sure what to expect but they were very good at organising things, with staff constantly wandering to direct folk and help people.

At this stage it was just me and one other so we were told to sign in and then order at the bar before collecting our drinks and being sat at a table. They were mixing folk in a little bit meaning that two others arrived in the pub and ended up sitting across from us, but we didn’t know them.

Once more of our group started to appear a couple of people were sent on a mission to find another pub...

Hunter S Thomson - couldn’t have been more different. No sign in sheet, little sanitiser, no real ordering system and not much in the way of information signage or organisation in comparison to the Tay Bridge Bar. It wasn’t awful but felt basically like a normal pub experience.

We ended up as a table of 8 but when more arrived we were actually given the function/old gig bit of the pub downstairs so it ended up being perfect in terms of space and having somewhere to sit and drink without worrying about being moved on. There was little in the way of social distancing and it is quite a tight pub anyway so that went out the window fairly early on and the pub in general was quite busy.

It was fantastic catching up with friends but I did feel a bit self-conscious and nervy at times. It also meant I maybe didn’t drink as much as I would normally and I was probably more cautious than usual (which is the point I suppose). It could have just been the worry of not used to being out and amongst a large group.

Will not be rushing back to a pub anytime soon but was glad to experience it. I’d go back if asked but I’m in no rush to organise a night out or another large gathering. I do feel a bit more attached to the outside world having caught up with friends, so that is a plus!

In order
Outdoors:
Hotel 10 - 7/10 wee bit expensive and only losing points for that, nice space outside, order on an app and it's brought to you, tables all spaced out.  Would return outdoors
Rum Shak - 9/10 I had never been in for food before so I didn't realise how good it was, I'd never managed to get a real seat out the back before so that was grand.  When you get in they go through all their rules etc.  Would return outdoors
Indoors:

I went to Hotel 10 the week before indoor pubs reopened. Can't criticise the setup but the service on that day was really, really slow. Place was full and at that point they weren't prepared for the demand. Took nearly 40 minutes from arrival to get my first drink, and they later ran out of draught lager. Wouldn't rush back on that basis.

Haven't been to the Rum Shack since it reopened, but last I heard they had only opened the outdoor space? Thought that was odd as it isn't huge and they've got the "downstairs" area as well as the bar they could use.

20 minutes ago, virginton said:

The Vale is much missed but other than that Queen Street has long been a black hole in terms of decent pubs, at least when you're doing the crossover from Central. 

The Scottish climate will decide otherwise soon enough.

Loads have reasons not to go. I like the Shilling Brewing Company for the beer, but if it gets busy the customers annoy me. Never took to The Horseshoe, prefer Yes if I'm in that area or continue on to Waterloo St, there's a few not bad ones. Bottom of Hope Street if I'm in a sniggering behind my hand mood.

I admit familiarity breeds contempt in a lot of cases.

There is a real dearth of decent pubs in Glasgow city centre at the best of times. The Rhoderick Dhu and State Bar are good but you're struggling outside of that. A couple of the Irish bars are decent in fairness.

Strangely, the bar in Tinderbox/the Ibis does possibly the best pint of Tennents I've ever had.

29 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

There is a real dearth of decent pubs in Glasgow city centre at the best of times. The Rhoderick Dhu and State Bar are good but you're struggling outside of that. A couple of the Irish bars are decent in fairness.

Strangely, the bar in Tinderbox/the Ibis does possibly the best pint of Tennents I've ever had.

Never been in that, it looks very good for a hotel bar. I do wonder about the name though. There was a few serious fires over the years just round the corner.

Wallyford miners welfare club - members only at the moment, with a touch card entry system on the door, so your details are stored on the system. 3 different drinking areas, including benches around the sides of the bowling green. 2 staff at each serving area, and plenty sanitisation points. And only £2.65 for a pint of tennents. 10/10.

So far we've been to:

Brel on Ashton Lane - book a 2 hour slot or turn up and wait for a table to possibly go free. Service was done by looking for what you wanted off the website and then asking a server who was usually milling about before essentially a bingo caller would call your table number and you'd go grab your drinks. It was fine. The best pint I've had but the food wasn't great. We all had burgers and the buns were wet? 7/10

Locale at Charing Cross - Not really a big fan of the beer garden which is basically just chucking benches where the bins would normally be in a group of tenements but the service was decent. Order it all online and then pay when it's served. Decent enough selection and since one of us knew the management we had the seats all night. I think other groups were allowed to stay for longer as well as there wasn't enough passing traffic to justify a changeover. Food looked nicer and drinks on offer were good. 7/10

SWG3 - One of us knows somebody fairly high up in the staff again lol so we were able to turn up without a reservation and get a seat immediately. Definitely taking it the most seriously as the other two places did social distancing and let us in without checks. Here you have to get a thermal temperature check and if you fail that three times then you get a core temp check? They do give you plenty of opportunities to pass though and apparently the only person they've had to knock back for repeatedly failing was someone from the licensing police. 😅  Inside they've covered a lot of bases with corresponding tables in the yard and the Galvanisers so you can easily move inside if it starts pissing down with the stuff inside basically free for passersby if they don't mind getting shunted if folk come in. All the tables are clearly marked to keep people separated and all the paths to the toilets etc are clearly marked to keep people moving on a set path. Seen on the news a lot that they're fully booked but they've fucked up the booking processes as well and there's loads of empty tables if you're willing to turn up and chance a half hour wait. 

Food was good, a few different vans with a good variety of stuff and they're silling tinnies and bottles alongside pints, cocktails and spirits. They've got the best selection of stuff I've seen so far and had a DJ the time we were there playing some decent house, techno and some classic indie and trance. Definitely the best place I've been to. Only issue is cause it's so massive and well-known it had a few fannies but god dang social distancing is a blessing for avoiding these people. 9/10

22 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

So far we've been to:

Brel on Ashton Lane - book a 2 hour slot or turn up and wait for a table to possibly go free. Service was done by looking for what you wanted off the website and then asking a server who was usually milling about before essentially a bingo caller would call your table number and you'd go grab your drinks. It was fine. The best pint I've had but the food wasn't great. We all had burgers and the buns were wet? 7/10

Locale at Charing Cross - Not really a big fan of the beer garden which is basically just chucking benches where the bins would normally be in a group of tenements but the service was decent. Order it all online and then pay when it's served. Decent enough selection and since one of us knew the management we had the seats all night. I think other groups were allowed to stay for longer as well as there wasn't enough passing traffic to justify a changeover. Food looked nicer and drinks on offer were good. 7/10

SWG3 - One of us knows somebody fairly high up in the staff again lol so we were able to turn up without a reservation and get a seat immediately. Definitely taking it the most seriously as the other two places did social distancing and let us in without checks. Here you have to get a thermal temperature check and if you fail that three times then you get a core temp check? They do give you plenty of opportunities to pass though and apparently the only person they've had to knock back for repeatedly failing was someone from the licensing police. 😅  Inside they've covered a lot of bases with corresponding tables in the yard and the Galvanisers so you can easily move inside if it starts pissing down with the stuff inside basically free for passersby if they don't mind getting shunted if folk come in. All the tables are clearly marked to keep people separated and all the paths to the toilets etc are clearly marked to keep people moving on a set path. Seen on the news a lot that they're fully booked but they've fucked up the booking processes as well and there's loads of empty tables if you're willing to turn up and chance a half hour wait. 

Food was good, a few different vans with a good variety of stuff and they're silling tinnies and bottles alongside pints, cocktails and spirits. They've got the best selection of stuff I've seen so far and had a DJ the time we were there playing some decent house, techno and some classic indie and trance. Definitely the best place I've been to. Only issue is cause it's so massive and well-known it had a few fannies but god dang social distancing is a blessing for avoiding these people. 9/10

Mods ffs

6 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

For the "life" drawing?

jason segel dancing GIF

1 minute ago, superbigal said:

I see someone has been huckled for dipping their cock in the fishtank in the Jahangir in Dundee.

Not sure this is the new normal.

Clearly not watching you only live twice last night.

It was Tuesday or Wednesday he done it.