OFFICIAL HEARTS JUGGERNAUT THREAD 2020-

5 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Good post mate. I guess all I was saying is that if you think there’s a chance we could win on Saturday, then surely we also ought to be considered potentially for 3rd place given that we’d only be a point behind you and still to play you at home after the split. 
Especially given that other than a minor slip up at the start of the season, we’ve pretty much owned Aberdeen this season. 😀
Like I say though, if we lose (or probably even draw) on Saturday, then we can forget about that 👍

I think the split is going to be pretty exciting tbh. Both our clubs as well as Hibs and Aberdeen vying for European places with games vs the OF thrown into the mix. Every point is going to be crucial. Then again, even Livi might still bag a top 6 spot.

I'm worried about my own teams position atm. Saturday's game is massive. We need to just try and stay in front of Aberdeen as much as we can really. I think if we lose 3rd in the next few weeks, we won't get it back.

17 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

That puts us in the same boat then doesn’t it, because I wouldn’t display that level of arrogance either. 
As a St. Mirren supporter of most of my 57 years, I’m well aware of that distinct possibility.

Not sure where you’d have got it from that I thought differently? Would it be because I dared to suggest that there is also a possibility we could finish 3rd? Imagine me even considering that possibility. 🙄

I was saluting your optimism in good faith

But let's draw a line under that . To be quite frank. If I wanted to discuss St Mirren's prospects I'd be on the St Mirren thread

I know it doesn't always work out exactly how it should but IF we finish top six, (which is still a big if) the fixtures should be relatively kind to us.

Hearts, Aberdeen and Rangers at home

Celtic and Hibs away.

That would be a much better outcome than having to go to Tynecastle and Pittodrie post split for me. There's a reason about 75% of St. Mirren fans are writing off Saturday regardless of the form of our hosts.

1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

The fact that was largely this basis of your argument is neither here nor there. The arrogance comes from the assumption that you are the only two teams in the hunt. 
That said, go back a few weeks and the Jambos were so arrogant they thought they were the ONLY team in the hunt. 

I’ve literally said in this thread I think we’re still unlikely to get 3rd. It would probably be disingenuous to then start talking up st mirrens chances. 

But I can do, if that’s what you’d like. 

5 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

St Mirren are poor away from home and their next two games are Hearts and Rangers away.

They can't be ruled out completely, but I'd say they're more likely to be 7th than 3rd at the moment.

Hoping for a Hearts win (to at least keep Livi in with a chance of top 6), but with Ross Stewart in goals, i'm not too confident of you getting it. 

Craig Gordon is a brilliant keeper, Zander Clark is decent, Ross Stewart though, ooft, he'll let in goals the other two wouldn't, and if you're stuck with him i don't think you'll finish 3rd.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Craig levein is bringing out the ‘careful what you wish for’ chat. 

Seemingly still upset that Aberdeen sacked mcinnes, not sure he’ll ever recover if you get rid of robbie. 

I like Levein, but I'm struggling to think what value I could bring to a discussion if asked in an interview for broadcast whether I thought a guy I'd been mates with for years, working closely with in various roles, should lose his job.

Just pointless. Why even ask him?

9 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Hoping for a Hearts win (to at least keep Livi in with a chance of top 6), but with Ross Stewart in goals, i'm not too confident of you getting it. 

Craig Gordon is a brilliant keeper, Zander Clark is decent, Ross Stewart though, ooft, he'll let in goals the other two wouldn't, and if you're stuck with him i don't think you'll finish 3rd.

I don't think Ross Stewart being pish is news to any Hearts fans, to be honest.

It's one of the mitigating factors for Neilson that we really couldn't have been much more unlucky with injuries this season, or in the run up to last season's cup final. Ending up needing to play our third choice keeper in the run in would be the cherry on top. And, to be honest, how many non-OF clubs have a third choice keeper they'd be happy to play for an extended period? Far less a crucial time like this.

Whether Stewart is bad enough to cost us Europe on his own is something we'll find out. I'd argue he's unlikely to be as damaging as months of tactical failures though.

Edited by VincentGuerin

9 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I like Levein, but I'm struggling to think what value I could bring to a discussion if asked in an interview for broadcast whether I thought a guy I'd been mates with for years, working closely with in various roles, should lose his job.

Just pointless. Why even ask him?

Agreed, but vacuous and zero value journalism isn’t exactly a new thing…

1 hour ago, the jambo-rocker said:

St Mirren get 'Anime bad' level nosebleeds every time the heady heights of top 6 beckons and I expect they'll only pick up 1 point in their remaining 3 fixtures (it will be against us naturally). 

They've been a funny team in that they've always been sniffing about the European places without ever really convincing anyone that they are likely to get one. I've never felt they were going to qualify for Europe.

If they beat us on Saturday, fair play and that changes. And I think it'll be tough. We struggle with them.

11 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

we really couldn't have been much more unlucky with injuries this season

Christ you're going to have the usual suspects all over this

"Do you think Hearts are the only team with injuries?!?!?!"

Our Away form hasn't just been poor but dire. However we have had 3 good Away performances this season with Tynecastle being one of them where we should at least have had a draw. So for the first time in years I believe we can get something from today's game. Whether we do is a different matter. We won't get Third but 5th is a real possibility if we manage to get over the line into top 6 and have 3 Home games after that. As for 3rd I reckon Hearts have the stronger squad but have no momentum. Today is massive for them to establish confidence and credibility.