OFFICIAL HEARTS JUGGERNAUT THREAD 2020-

A few thoughts on where we are...

1. As was obvious after last week, third is 100% gone if we keep Neilson beyond today (if it isn't anyway). I'm not a fan of sacking managers ostensibly after a short run of poor results but the truth is anyone who's followed football has seen this thousands of times before: when the players have visibly chucked it, it's time up. And this run of results has been coming.

2. How did it come to this? It goes back to an underwhelming summer transfer window. Despite the money that came in, very little was done to improve the starting XI and a series of injuries left us weaker than last season. The good thing was that all the long term injuries (Baningime, Halkett, Gordon, Boyce) were known about by the 1st of January and we were in a decent position in the league to kick on. Then, while our rivals crashed and burned and then took the opportunity to remedy their flaws, we got a run of good but flattering results and then rested on our laurels. At no point did we have an unassailable lead in 3rd and at no point were we producing consistently convincing performances, but we did very little in the transfer window and persisted with shit tactics that had been found out until well after the rot had set in. The scenario we find ourselves in was predictable by anyone paying proper attention and we had multiple opportunities to avoid it, but here we are.

3. There is precisely nothing in the way the club has been run over the last decade to suggest they will recognise any of the above. It's just a few poor games. Injuries have cost us. We're still in the fight for third. Neilson got us there last year. Past evidence suggests we'll wait until October when we're sitting in 11th before anything happens.

It's all shite just now, but Hibs normally have a habit of cheering us all up. 

Perhaps now that we've dropped to fourth and are doing the chasing, things might improve.

Plastic Straw Sustainability: Why Straws Are Problematic

On 05/04/2023 at 11:42, topcat(The most tip top) said:

You've got to have a dream, if you don't have a dream then how you going to make a dream come true?

Happy Talk? Is that the lyrics? 

Get the voice ready for the end of season karaoke  @TPAFKA Jersey 2

Weirdly a hit by the guy below who knows the score when it comes to supporting Scottish football teams!

IMG_1252.thumb.jpeg.cc132d2815befb0f7f0abdbf6a16bdb9.jpeg

I always associate Hearts fans with “I’m forever blowing doubles!!” after that lovely period in Scottish football history in May 1986.

10 minutes ago, Molotov said:

I always associate Hearts fans with “I’m forever blowing doubles!!” after that lovely period in Scottish football history in May 1986.

I no longer blame St. Mirren for getting stuffed 5-0 at home by Celtic on the last day of the season.  I don't think your players lay down to them like arse licking bitches at all, they were just much better than you.   Counselling finally working for me.🫠

4 minutes ago, Mr. X said:

I no longer blame St. Mirren for getting stuffed 5-0 at home by Celtic on the last day of the season.  I don't think your players lay down to them like arse licking bitches at all, they were just much better than you.   Counselling finally working for me.🫠

Especially if you were to look at the team Celtic had. It’s all ancient history but Sandy Clark, Craig Levein and co need similar counselling help.

Especially since your results against relegated Clydebank and St Mirren did more harm than that day at Dens.

Plus we had that tosser Jim Stewart (ex Rangers) in goal.

3 hours ago, DC92 said:

A few thoughts on where we are...

1. As was obvious after last week, third is 100% gone if we keep Neilson beyond today (if it isn't anyway). I'm not a fan of sacking managers ostensibly after a short run of poor results but the truth is anyone who's followed football has seen this thousands of times before: when the players have visibly chucked it, it's time up. And this run of results has been coming.

2. How did it come to this? It goes back to an underwhelming summer transfer window. Despite the money that came in, very little was done to improve the starting XI and a series of injuries left us weaker than last season. The good thing was that all the long term injuries (Baningime, Halkett, Gordon, Boyce) were known about by the 1st of January and we were in a decent position in the league to kick on. Then, while our rivals crashed and burned and then took the opportunity to remedy their flaws, we got a run of good but flattering results and then rested on our laurels. At no point did we have an unassailable lead in 3rd and at no point were we producing consistently convincing performances, but we did very little in the transfer window and persisted with shit tactics that had been found out until well after the rot had set in. The scenario we find ourselves in was predictable by anyone paying proper attention and we had multiple opportunities to avoid it, but here we are.

3. There is precisely nothing in the way the club has been run over the last decade to suggest they will recognise any of the above. It's just a few poor games. Injuries have cost us. We're still in the fight for third. Neilson got us there last year. Past evidence suggests we'll wait until October when we're sitting in 11th before anything happens.

Agree completely.

Before the game today a mate of mine was saying he'd heard a German journalist talking about why Bayern had sacked Nagelsmann when they did. He'd said that although the timing looked odd to many observers, the way Bayern do things is to identify a weakness and get rid of it before it starts to show in results. Gave loads of examples of players and other coaches etc.

In the UK we focus far too little on analysis like this of where a team or club actually are. We're obsessed with what Co Adriaanse used to moan about as 'scoreboard journalism', where all analysis is basically based on results. Hearts fans have been called entitled and moaners and been given the 'CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR' pish for about two years now about Neilson because we were getting away with carrying this substandard coach. The problem with carrying someone who isn't good enough is that it's always going to catch up with you.

Celtic did the same when they ridiculously decided to stick with Neil Lennon for their TIAR season because his side scraped past Hearts in a cup final. They paid the price by blowing a decade's worth or work, when any amateur could have told you he had taken the team backwards.

Neilson should have been punted last summer. Instead he got a new contract. He absolutely has to go. Like you, however, I think the club will stick with him. Hearts have blown a huge opportunity to build a position of strength, and it's been blown in the boardroom by tolerating their chum instead of recognising the problem and hiring a serious coach.

7 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Agree completely.

Before the game today a mate of mine was saying he'd heard a German journalist talking about why Bayern had sacked Nagelsmann when they did. He'd said that although the timing looked odd to many observers, the way Bayern do things is to identify a weakness and get rid of it before it starts to show in results. Gave loads of examples of players and other coaches etc.

In the UK we focus far too little on analysis like this of where a team or club actually are. We're obsessed with what Co Adriaanse used to moan about as 'scoreboard journalism', where all analysis is basically based on results. Hearts fans have been called entitled and moaners and been given the 'CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR' pish for about two years now about Neilson because we were getting away with carrying this substandard coach. The problem with carrying someone who isn't good enough is that it's always going to catch up with you.

Celtic did the same when they ridiculously decided to stick with Neil Lennon for their TIAR season because his side scraped past Hearts in a cup final. They paid the price by blowing a decade's worth or work, when any amateur could have told you he had taken the team backwards.

Neilson should have been punted last summer. Instead he got a new contract. He absolutely has to go. Like you, however, I think the club will stick with him. Hearts have blown a huge opportunity to build a position of strength, and it's been blown in the boardroom by tolerating their chum instead of recognising the problem and hiring a serious coach.

Whats Up Stare GIF by NBA

For me Neilson has to go tonight, the club must act now, it's not even about 3rd anymore its more about the fact that we are going backwards, the club stuck with him (neilson) after we lost to brora 2 years back and I wanted him gone then, It almost looked like the club was proven right when we got third place last season but now it is as clear as day that Neilson has lost the dressing room, we are now down to 4th after being clear in 3rd and at one stage 11 points ahead of the team who are now 3rd, that is completely unacceptable and its actually a capitulation, Robbie thank you for a couple of third place and finishes and getting us out the championship but you are not the man to take us anywhere, it's time up.

He has to go. I fail to see any scenario he gets the fans back onside. They've turned and he's lost any ability to get a reaction from the players. 

Even his biggest fans at the club must realise he's not getting people back onside here.

We cannot go to Easter Road with him in charge.

5 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

He has to go. I fail to see any scenario he gets the fans back onside. They've turned and he's lost any ability to get a reaction from the players. 

Even his biggest fans at the club must realise he's not getting people back onside here.

We cannot go to Easter Road with him in charge.

It's actually the only fixture I'd give us any chance of winning with him in charge, simply because we could win there in any circumstances whatsoever.

But he's definitely toast. The players' attitude at the moment is shocking, but we can't sack all of them. Robbie's had his time, he's had way too much time.

11 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

It's actually the only fixture I'd give us any chance of winning with him in charge, simply because we could win there in any circumstances whatsoever.

But he's definitely toast. The players' attitude at the moment is shocking, but we can't sack all of them. Robbie's had his time, he's had way too much time.

I agree I could see us churning something out, but equally if we lose which is not beyond us, the atmosphere could be horrific.