OFFICIAL HEARTS JUGGERNAUT THREAD 2020-

18 hours ago, DukDukGoose said:

Wages are the exact starting point for a fee.

If a player is bought for £1m then he's going to get a wage that goes some way to reflect it.

Nonsense. Are you suggesting sevcos new signing is on treble raskins wage because he cost 3 times as much? 

Or Cal Roberts was on 3x as much as Ramadini? 

Age is a factor, the place they are coming from and most importantly their own demands. The former clubs valuation has nothing to do with it. 

7 minutes ago, gazelle83 said:

Nonsense. Are you suggesting sevcos new signing is on treble raskins wage because he cost 3 times as much? 

Or Cal Roberts was on 3x as much as Ramadini? 

Age is a factor, the place they are coming from and most importantly their own demands. The former clubs valuation has nothing to do with it. 

No, I'm obviously not suggesting that.

If someone comes in as the marquee summer signing then any agent worth his salt  is obviously going to want their client paid as such.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Will you be going with Craig Gordon as assumed number 1 this season? 

I would doubt that - reckon it will be Clark with Harry Stone to begin with - if Gordon is able to play, that'll be a Brucey bonus.

I feel the same way about Baningame, Boyce and Halkett coming back - there's every chance they could break down at any time - even if they get past the injury, will they be as effective as they've been?

I'm naturally pessimistic - goes with the territory of being a Hertz fan. 

2 hours ago, Gorgie greatness said:

Are we just going with wot we’ve got ? 

32 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

I feel the same way about Baningame, Boyce and Halkett coming back - there's every chance they could break down at any time - even if they get past the injury, will they be as effective as they've been?

I think we'll be taking a bit of time to assess how this lot are looking, which I think is fair enough. If they are back close to full capacity, Hearts will be a good side next season. If not, then the transfer targets obviously change a bit.

No real issue with a bit of caution. There are loads of players out there.

1 hour ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Penalty merchant & he won’t even be that at Hearts.

I’d be very underwhelmed if Aberdeen signed him based on the last 2 seasons.

Pretty much how I see him.

From what I can tell, he's basically Jorge Grant. Tidy player, nice passing stats, good at scoring penalties (which he won't take here), but wouldn't worry me in the slightest if he was playing for the other team. 

Like Grant, I've also no idea how he fits in with the 4-4-2 Naismith was playing last season, so hopefully it's just Twitter shite that's grown arms and legs.

7 minutes ago, DC92 said:

Pretty much how I see him.

From what I can tell, he's basically Jorge Grant. Tidy player, nice passing stats, good at scoring penalties (which he won't take here), but wouldn't worry me in the slightest if he was playing for the other team. 

Like Grant, I've also no idea how he fits in with the 4-4-2 Naismith was playing last season, so hopefully it's just Twitter shite that's grown arms and legs.

Was Naismith not playing a 4-2-3-1 with Shankland as a “10” off Ginnelly? 

11 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

That was my reading of it - Grant, if he was to play, would be on the left of the 3 - possibly ahead of McKay if he doesn't buck up.

I wonder if McKay is suffering from the Samson complex - get the blond hairpiece back on, ffs!

Edited by paranoid android

5 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Yeah, but I think you could also look at it as a 4-4-2 with one striker dropping deeper.

I definitely couldn't see McGrath playing the Shankland role and we've also got Boyce who pretty much played the same role with Simms the season before.

18 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Better than Grant, IMO, even if you exclude penalties.

mcgrath.thumb.png.42cc6fbc6197ccb0f3a295c40689a4a2.png

Cheers. Although are they all that different based on that?  Aside from McGrath being better at ball carrying and slightly more creative, but less "goal threat"?

I'm not sure how it might affect the numbers, but I think Grant mostly played CM for us rather than his preferred attacking midfield. Which is my main problem, I don't really see where either of them fit in.

Edited by DC92

10 minutes ago, DC92 said:

Cheers. Although are they all that different based on that?  Aside from McGrath being better at ball carrying and slightly more creative, but less "goal threat"?

I'm not sure how it might affect the numbers, but I think Grant mostly played CM for us rather than his preferred attacking midfield. Which is my main problem, I don't really see where either of them fit in.

Yeah how theyre used definitely affects there, so McGraths carrying figures will be up due to playing as a winger.

But then is he only playing as a winger because he can carry the ball well?

You tie yourself in knots thinking about it 😅

McGrath is under-rated IMO, not as good as the hype he got years ago but better than the "penalty merchant" stuff put his way. If its Barrie McKay whos place hes apparently looking at (just based of comments on this thread, as i never saw much of you under Naismith to know how you set up), then youll probably have someone whos far more consistent but more average too.

2 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Penalty merchant & he won’t even be that at Hearts.

I’d be very underwhelmed if Aberdeen signed him based on the last 2 seasons.

I agree I'd be underwhelmed if we signed him after the last two seasons he's had. He'll cost a decent enough fee too.

Having said that, I actually think he'd perform better for a club like Hearts where he'd be surrounded by a better group of players. Not sure how he'd deal with the pressure at Hearts especially if he was feeling it at Utd. He'd surely be an improvement on Kio and Grant.

Speaking of which how much did Hearts actually pay for Grant and Kio?

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah how theyre used definitely affects there, so McGraths carrying figures will be up due to playing as a winger.

But then is he only playing as a winger because he can carry the ball well?

You tie yourself in knots thinking about it 😅

McGrath is under-rated IMO, not as good as the hype he got years ago but better than the "penalty merchant" stuff put his way. If its Barrie McKay whos place hes apparently looking at (just based of comments on this thread, as i never saw much of you under Naismith to know how you set up), then youll probably have someone whos far more consistent but more average too.

Fair enough. 

Could be wrong, but is the general thinking on McGrath not that he's more effective as a #10 than out wide? Whereas I'd say McKay is better playing off the left and moving inside. The latter definitely has better assist numbers over the last couple of seasons, although I appreciate the quality of the assistee influences that..

We've been linked to a couple of wingers this window, Silvera and Okunuki. Both direct, right-sided players who play off the left, like to dribble and chip in with goals. IIRC they both had strong numbers for winning the ball in the final third as well. Obviously we missed out on them but McGrath would seem a bit of a departure from that profile.

7 minutes ago, DC92 said:

Fair enough. 

Could be wrong, but is the general thinking on McGrath not that he's more effective as a #10 than out wide? Whereas I'd say McKay is better playing off the left and moving inside.

Thats my thinking, of what ive seen of both. McGrath a bit more direct, in terms of he'll get the ball and instantly try and do something with it, so can cope central, while McKay needs the space you get out wide as it allows him more time with the ball and more chance of getting 1v1 situations with defenders. McKay is definitely better for me, FWIW, genuinely think hes one of the best players in the league but im a sucker for that type of player.

Just took the McKay stuff from a mention on here, ive genuinely not a clue how Naismith set you up/intends to set you up, to say where McGrath might fit. If youre saying youve been after direct, proper, wide types then aye, McGrath definitely doesnt seem to be that.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Thats my thinking, of what ive seen of both. McGrath a bit more direct, in terms of he'll get the ball and instantly try and do something with it, so can cope central, while McKay needs the space you get out wide as it allows him more time with the ball and more chance of getting 1v1 situations with defenders. McKay is definitely better for me, FWIW, genuinely think hes one of the best players in the league but im a sucker for that type of player.

Just took the McKay stuff from a mention on here, ive genuinely not a clue how Naismith set you up/intends to set you up, to say where McGrath might fit. If youre saying youve been after direct, proper, wide types then aye, McGrath definitely doesnt seem to be that.

A lot of people have gone off McKay after last season, but I'm still a fan. Yeah, it's annoying that he looks a bit sullen and always does f**k all against the Old Firm, but I just wouldn't bother playing him in those games. He's still extremely useful as a flat track bully and that seems to be taken for granted now. Our home record against non-OF teams over the last two seasons is very good and he's one of the main reasons for that.