OFFICIAL HEARTS JUGGERNAUT THREAD 2020-

No, absolutely agree it with you that it shouldn’t be beyond the clubs capabilities but it is beyond mine so I’m reticent to vehemently want Neilson out and take another roll of the dice after it coming up plumbs last time.

The proposition that “we could get a better manager than Robbie” is certainly true in theory but it’s just as true that we could do a lot worse.

On the whole I’d rather we risked giving managers a bit too long than not quite long enough.

Otherwise you’re going to force decision making into a short term mentality and incentivise quick fixes at the expense of longer term progress

Obviously a club can be too patient but I’d suggest that few clubs are in a league where Nielson and Callum Davidson are now the longest serving managers in their 2nd seasons

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

The proposition that “we could get a better manager than Robbie” is certainly true in theory but it’s just as true that we could do a lot worse.

On the whole I’d rather we risked giving managers a bit too long than not quite long enough.

Otherwise you’re going to force decision making into a short term mentality and incentivise quick fixes at the expense of longer term progress

Obviously a club can be too patient but I’d suggest that few clubs are in a league where Nielson and Callum Davidson are now the longest serving managers in their 2nd seasons

My thinking on this one is more medium-term. I think the short-term view is to look at it and say we're going to finish third so all is well.

Next season I think it's fair to assume Hibs and Aberdeen will probably be improved. At least one of them, surely. And maybe another club has a good season too.

Looking at his existing results against sides like that, and the performances, I don't think Robbie's the man to stand up to that.

I know this point has been made before, but it cannot be overlooked that we're third in an absolutely dreadful division this season. It's not vintage stuff.

2 year deal for Halliday. That's fucking mental.

I’d presume (really hope) his wages are low and that being the case I’m fine with a 2 year deal. Steady enough squad player who should be a baseline for buying players better than.

My thinking on this one is more medium-term. I think the short-term view is to look at it and say we're going to finish third so all is well.
Next season I think it's fair to assume Hibs and Aberdeen will probably be improved. At least one of them, surely. And maybe another club has a good season too.
Looking at his existing results against sides like that, and the performances, I don't think Robbie's the man to stand up to that.
I know this point has been made before, but it cannot be overlooked that we're third in an absolutely dreadful division this season. It's not vintage stuff.

It’s a bit reminiscent, to me at least, of when McInnes was the manager up here. Fairly shite but very steady.
It’s the easy option to stick with Robbie tbh. Play it safe and as long as we’re 3rd I find it difficult to argue against…as much as I would love a new manager who comes in, cements 3rd and has us playing wildly attacking football I can’t see that happening so probably risk averse after the last time

I would personally have rather seen him move on, but I'd understand a 1 year extension for continuity and he is a reasonable backup. 2 years though, I don't get that.

Haring better get at least offered a deal.

Aye, I’d rather he was moved on but we can always agree his release if he’s unhappy not playing regularly and someone wants him.
I’d have preferred Haring was confirmed instead of Halliday so I’m guessing Handsome Pete will be away sadly

9 hours ago, paranoid android said:

Seems weird to me that RN says publicly that we haven't made our mind up about Haring - why would you even say that?

Best hypothesis is that the amount Haring, or his agent, thinks he's worth is enough to make Hearts pause for thought but not enough to make them abandon the notion entirely. 

8 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Best hypothesis is that the amount Haring, or his agent, thinks he's worth is enough to make Hearts pause for thought but not enough to make them abandon the notion entirely. 

Folk were saying last week that Haring was the obstacle due to the amount of games he's starting on the bench these days.

I guess it could mean that Hearts haven't made their mind up re what he's looking for financially, as you say. 

47 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

Folk were saying last week that Haring was the obstacle due to the amount of games he's starting on the bench these days.

I guess it could mean that Hearts haven't made their mind up re what he's looking for financially, as you say. 

I think I read that he might want to return home himself as well. I like Big Pete and I think he brings something to the team that Beni and Devlin do not, but if those two are going to be the favoured first pick midfielders for the defensive side of things, then we really need someone who is an upgrade on McEneff that can hold down a starting slot. Maybe we could get one using the wages saved on McEneff and Haring? I wish we had more threat coming from the middle of the park, as it is a bit too easy to set up to stop us when all of our attacking play comes from out wide.

1 hour ago, Dubford don said:

Used to own my old local in Aberdeen,really nice guy

Aye, he ran the Wheatsheaf pub in Dalkeith back in the day - my brother and his pals used to go to his pub before games - everyone spoke very well of him, and he was always happy to share and listen to fitba' stories.