Conspiracy Theories

3 minutes ago, coprolite said:

With only that information, it sounds unlikely that it would be the government. Their track record of riding roughshod over environmental rules to do what they like suggests that they wouldn't have to bother. 

There were probably a number of potential contractors, landowners and general spivs involved as well as government personnel not acting entirely in a government capacity. 

Would a more plausible explanation not be that he found some scam or corruption that threatened someone's livelihood or reputation? 

That wouldn't rule out police/government complicity in keeping a lid on it. 

I didn't want to bore everyone with every aspect of the case, but what I've outlined is largely how it's been left. You could be right that it's not government related, but the actions of the police in the investigation increases my cynicism there. I really don't understand how a guy with a bullet in his head gets his case left undetermined either, but I concede my knowledge of the inner workings of police investigations is limited to TV and film, there may be a valid reason the case gets left that way.

7 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

The only article I've read about that was on some random's blog about 10 years ago. Describes events exactly as you do right here. On face value it appears to stink to high heaven, but then I think you have to be wary about these types of sources taking liberties with facts. 

I think with that, I ask myself "why has nobody heard of this?". I mean we don't really have many people being found with bullets in their head by the side of the road, it's a pretty unique case for Scotland and no murder investigation. Numerous requests for information about the case have been denied, numerous calls for the investigation to be re-opened have been ignored and barely anyone in modern day Scotland has heard of him. It looks like a well worked cover up to me.

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I think with that, I ask myself "why has nobody heard of this?". I mean we don't really have many people being found with bullets in their head by the side of the road, it's a pretty unique case for Scotland and no murder investigation. Numerous requests for information about the case have been denied, numerous calls for the investigation to be re-opened have been ignored and barely anyone in modern day Scotland has heard of him. It looks like a well worked cover up to me.

I tend to agree with @coprolite, in that I think it's more likely he discovered something likely to be hugely problematic for a specific individual or group, rather than the government/intelligence services assassinating him because of his anti-nuclear work.

If you want to talk UK cover ups, look no further than the lengths successive UK governments have gone to to obstruct and deny Abdelbaset al-Megrahi's various appeals. They're doing this in broad daylight, for no discernible legitimate reason. They really, and I mean REALLY REALLY do not want the general public asking questions about that trial, conviction, and the related political and economic shenanigans that went on between the US, UK, and Gaddafi's Libya. "Libyans did it, now STFU and get back in your box" basically.

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

I didn't want to bore everyone with every aspect of the case, but what I've outlined is largely how it's been left. You could be right that it's not government related, but the actions of the police in the investigation increases my cynicism there. I really don't understand how a guy with a bullet in his head gets his case left undetermined either, but I concede my knowledge of the inner workings of police investigations is limited to TV and film, there may be a valid reason the case gets left that way.

My default position is that if a conspiracy appears to have been successful, it probably wasn't the government. 

Assuming that a suicide could be ruled out, it does sound shady.

I also have little idea what factors the police will take into account. I expect budget and difficulty feature highly. 

4 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

I tend to agree with @coprolite, in that I think it's more likely he discovered something likely to be hugely problematic for a specific individual or group, rather than the government/intelligence services assassinating him because of his anti-nuclear work.

I don't rule that out at all, it's plausible. What is clear is the case deserved a better investigation than it got.

1 minute ago, coprolite said:

My default position is that if a conspiracy appears to have been successful, it probably wasn't the government. 

Assuming that a suicide could be ruled out, it does sound shady.

I also have little idea what factors the police will take into account. I expect budget and difficulty feature highly. 

That's fair, I don't necessarily agree that the government wouldn't be capable of a successful cover up though.

On the suicide, it's clear it wasn't. Suicide is the easy option for closing the case but McRaes fingerprints not on the gun and he wasn't wearing gloves, so unless he's shot himself in the head then wiped down his gun/took his gloves off it's impossible for him to kill himself. Again, I'm not a police investigator but if a guy has a bullet in his head he either put it there himself or someone else done it for him - once, you've ruled out the former the latter is the only logical explanation. To rule that it's "undetermined" how a bullet got into someones head is bizarre to me.

Having become an expert by looking at the Wiki page, I think it's possible that it was a botched suicide. The gun was found a short distance from the car, 18 metres. He was still alive when he was found, estimated to be 10 hours after the shot. He could have found the spot to end it all, shot himself at the wrong angle or with a faulty bullet, dropped the gun and staggered back to the car. There could be any number of other explanations of course, including murder.

P.S. I don't think the lack of fingerprints rules out suicide, maybe he held the gun with a rag or hanky? Maybe unlikely but he may not have been in a rational state of mind. If it was a professional hit, you'd have thought the killer would have made sure he was dead, particularly as they were in the middle of nowhere with no witnesses.

Edited by welshbairn

Willie McRae was executed, of that I have no doubt.

He kept funny company though. As well as investigating the nuclear industry he was actively engaged in trying to get the provisional IRA involved in the Scottish independence movement and was certainly a cog in the wheel for gun running between Glasgow and Belfast.

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Having become an expert by looking at the Wiki page, I think it's possible that it was a botched suicide. The gun was found a short distance from the car, 18 metres. He was still alive when he was found, estimated to be 10 hours after the shot. He could have found the spot to end it all, shot himself at the wrong angle or with a faulty bullet, dropped the gun and staggered back to the car. There could be any number of other explanations of course, including murder.

P.S. I don't think the lack of fingerprints rules out suicide, maybe he held the gun with a rag or hanky? Maybe unlikely but he may not have been in a rational state of mind. If it was a professional hit, you'd have thought the killer would have made sure he was dead, particularly as they were in the middle of nowhere with no witnesses.

I find it difficult to believe he's tried to kill himself then staggered back to his car with a bullet in his head (which is later determined to have cause huge brain damage). Why would he be holding a rag or a hanky round the gun when trying to kill himself? 

1 minute ago, invergowrie arab said:

Willie McRae was executed, of that I have no doubt.

He kept funny company though. As well as investigating the nuclear industry he was actively engaged in trying to get the provisional IRA involved in the Scottish independence movement and was certainly a cog in the wheel for gun running between Glasgow and Belfast.

I wasn't aware of the IRA angle. That opens things up a bit.

33 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Why would he be holding a rag or a hanky round the gun when trying to kill himself? 

To to make it look like he had been murdered. Life insurance and stuff. Or he didn't want to get his hand dirty, unsound of mind? I'm not saying that's what happened, just that you can't rule it out. Just seems a bit weird that if he was murdered they would leave the gun a short distance away from where he was found. You'd think they would have left it either where it would be unlikely to be found or by the body to suggest suicide. And if he'd been shot earlier and somehow managed to drive to where he was found, what was the gun doing there?

P.S. Bumbling hitman is probably the answer.

Edited by welshbairn

8 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I find it difficult to believe he's tried to kill himself then staggered back to his car with a bullet in his head (which is later determined to have cause huge brain damage). Why would he be holding a rag or a hanky round the gun when trying to kill himself? 

I wasn't aware of the IRA angle. That opens things up a bit.

Makes government involvement way more likely for a start. 

Unless invergowrie arab is throwing out misinformation on behalf of his handlers. 

4 hours ago, coprolite said:

Makes government involvement way more likely for a start. 

Unless invergowrie arab is throwing out misinformation on behalf of his handlers. 

I dunno. From a govt PoV I think exposing his connections to the IRA and his alleged role as SNLA quartermaster would be more damaging than offing him. More likely to be the RA themselves if one of their lot had gone rogue and got involved with McRae, Busby and other assorted incompetents and weirdos.

There is also the possibility of some sort of double agent stuff going on.

In also not entirely convinced it was the nuclear angle just because nothing that has come out since is probably worth shooting someone over. 

I know everything today is paedo rings but I think it's establishment paedo rings. He was a detailed to Mountbatten  when he was in the navy.

He was a homosexual (different times), a raging alcoholic, short tempered and prone to public outbursts. I wouldn't be surprised if he had Kompromat on people, knew secrets about either the govt or people in Scotland or Ireland.

I think the most likely explanation is somebody somewhere thought he was a liability.

25 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I think it's establishment paedo rings. He was a detailed to Mountbatten  when he was in the navy.

Like Great Uncle, like err... nephew(?) as they say.

Amazing the number of historical no-righters in that family. The Queens' uncle was a right 'character' anaw. Not Edward VIII, no, he had an even more sketchy brother.

Edited by Boo Khaki

On 27/08/2020 at 15:03, The Moonster said:

What do folk think about the case of Willie McRae? Lawyer and SNP activist found dead in his car with a gunshot wound to the head. McRae was vocally/actively against trident and was at the time apparently working to counter plans for a nuclear waste dump into the sea. A dodgy police investigation leaves the death "undetermined" but the evidence rules out a suicide. SNP investigation hits "a brick wall" as police refuse to give access to certain information. Appears to be strong evidence McRae was under surveillance with a retired private investigator coming out in 2006 to say he was "anonymously employed" to watch McRae just weeks before his death.

British government killing a guy who had plans to thwart a waste dump or am I batshit crazy?

I watched a play about this at The Fringe last year. Was very interesting and was adamant about it not being a suicide, but then afterwards the actor talked for a bit about it and revealed he’s been coming to The Fringe for about 20 years doing this play and it was clear we were getting a very biased view on things. 

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I always thought the 8chan owner would look a bit like this.

EgTVAF1UcAMuBNf?format=jpg&name=900x900

I presume by the look of him that this man is a member of our website as well.