Obesity

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Aye, wish I had a freezer! Although glad I haven't as I would have eaten so much ice cream. A mental amount and would be in worse condition than I am.

Never had a Nando's. One advantage of having no friends to eat out with, but it also seems like a massive rip off.

I’ve not indulged either but know the prices as folk at work ordered them. The chicken and rice is reasonably healthy compared to McDonald’s but as you say a rip off. I get the mayo and the sriracha sauce and make my own.

Found that once I started eating clean I didn’t have the urge to eat rubbish but have occasional treat like some ice cream or a bit cake maybe.

3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

You can get bags of frozen vegetables that can be taken straight for the bag and cooked in about five minutes. They're very cheap (usually about a pound) and can last a decent bit. I'd be stocking up on that shit if I had a freezer!

Appreciate what Jambomo is saying. It can definitely be tough for a lot of people, but how many people does that apply to? According to stats circa 67% are overweight to some extent, but are 67% struggling for money and time?

There will always be extremes and levels of adversity, but I sincerely doubt that 67% of folk are left with just £5 to feed themselves for a week.

P.S. I got a loose onion on Sunday. It was 16p, although it was a red onion.

I buy bags of Frozen chopped onions and peppers and also the Mediterranean veg. Chuck them in a pan with tin of tomatoes then blitz it so kids don’t moan! 

When I’ve got the kids I tend go home cook from scratch but I’m useless when it’s just me in the house. 

21 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Nando's is overpriced, overhyped shite.  

Aye, that's my impression. I have (had?) a pal at work who loves Nando's. He'd go often for a 'treat', almost every Friday at one point.

I don't doubt it's fairly tasty, but the prices look ludicrous and as you note it seems like it's more a place younger folk want to be seen to be going to rather than a quality place. Basically it's the 'trendy' restaurant for younger folk.

f**k I sound old!

1 minute ago, RH33 said:

I buy bags of Frozen chopped onions and peppers and also the Mediterranean veg. Chuck them in a pan with tin of tomatoes then blitz it so kids don’t moan! 

When I’ve got the kids I tend go home cook from scratch but I’m useless when it’s just me in the house. 

I've seen those and they look ace. Would love to have a freezer to be able to fire bags of those in to. They look pretty good and can be used in so many things!

Ha, I live alone and for so long have been lazy and shite with food. Think I'm starting to finally get it together and planning ahead and making a meal plan for the upcoming week, along with an ingredient list, looks like it will be a winner. Starts on Monday but think it will work.

Appreciate you're in a totally different situation though, but think you're doing great.

11 hours ago, virginton said:

What is needed in the country is a greater emphasis on cooking, budgeting and other mandatory practical skills in the schools system because this stuff is really not difficult to pick up at all.

Do you really think there is a lack of emphasis on cooking, good eating and healthy lifestyles in the U.K. in 2020 though? Someone else was banging the education drum earlier but I think the information is so readily available on social media with no shortage of people willing to help others out for free when it comes to easy meals or free work outs you can follow on your phone. I find it very difficult to want to blame society when you have fully grown adults in the country who don’t know how to boil rice for themselves and can’t follow simple recipes, people have to do better for themselves and are responsible for their own health. 

13 minutes ago, RH33 said:

I’m a fairly competent cook but still can’t do rice right!

My Mrs always seems to somehow make a c**t of it every time she attempts it as well - I don’t go with quantities for the boiling water I just get it nice and covered and then boil for 10-12 minutes and stir it occasionally. You also need a bit of salt otherwise it turns to shit.

14 minutes ago, throbber said:

Do you really think there is a lack of emphasis on cooking, good eating and healthy lifestyles in the U.K. in 2020 though? Someone else was banging the education drum earlier but I think the information is so readily available on social media with no shortage of people willing to help others out for free when it comes to easy meals or free work outs you can follow on your phone. I find it very difficult to want to blame society when you have fully grown adults in the country who don’t know how to boil rice for themselves and can’t follow simple recipes, people have to do better for themselves and are responsible for their own health. 

There's never been more information available on any subject, but lots of people seem to be unable, unwilling, or too thick to access it. Cooking is just one of them.

Just now, Sergeant Wilson said:

There's never been more information available on any subject, but lots of people seem to be unable, unwilling, or too thick to access it. Cooking is just one of them.

Exactly - some people refuse to help themselves and it’s nobody’s fault but their own. I don’t even blame the tories for this.

The worst thing for me or any life coach to hear is people saying they didn’t know the risks of a poor lifestyle when they are so obese they can’t lift themselves out of their bed in the morning but it’s happening all too often. 

14 minutes ago, throbber said:

Exactly - some people refuse to help themselves and it’s nobody’s fault but their own. I don’t even blame the tories for this.

The worst thing for me or any life coach to hear is people saying they didn’t know the risks of a poor lifestyle when they are so obese they can’t lift themselves out of their bed in the morning but it’s happening all too often. 

It must be very frustrating.

4 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Had a throbber approved keto breakfast of two fried eggs and streaky bacon, all fried in butter.

Are you actually doing keto or is this just for the sake of it? I am not doing the keto diet just now but think I’ll give it a bash next week.

Are you actually doing keto or is this just for the sake of it? I am not doing the keto diet just now but think I’ll give it a bash next week.

I’m not specifically doing a ketogenic diet but I’m cutting sugar and reducing carbs as I can’t exercise at the moment.

I also quite like Keto style food. Fat is king.

38 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I’m not specifically doing a ketogenic diet but I’m cutting sugar and reducing carbs as I can’t exercise at the moment.

I got a book on it recently but the cook book doesn’t have pictures of the recipes - is that quite annoying for most people or am I just being childish? I have cut out carbs before for a while but haven’t done full keto as have always eaten bananas and would still drink a bit at the weekend . Don’t think I’d last long before getting pissed off with it tbqh.

12 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Aye, wish I had a freezer! Although glad I haven't as I would have eaten so much ice cream. A mental amount and would be in worse condition than I am.

Never had a Nando's. One advantage of having no friends to eat out with, but it also seems like a massive rip off.

This is a good thing.

12 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Aye, that's my impression. I have (had?) a pal at work who loves Nando's. He'd go often for a 'treat', almost every Friday at one point.

I don't doubt it's fairly tasty, but the prices look ludicrous and as you note it seems like it's more a place younger folk want to be seen to be going to rather than a quality place. Basically it's the 'trendy' restaurant for younger folk.

You should. 

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

How not? 

I find it very difficult to want to blame society when you have fully grown adults in the country who don’t know how to boil rice for themselves

I’m a fairly competent cook but still can’t do rice right!

My Mrs always seems to somehow make a c**t of it every time she attempts it as well

I love this site