Can the Old firm stranglehold be broken?

The main difference between the Scottish league and most of the ones mentioned is that eventually the dominant team collapses and some of the others get to pick up some trophies. Norway, for example, has had six different champions since Rosenberg's 13-year stretch.

Without financial doping, nobody other than Celtgers is winning our league again.

Edit: also, the Champions League has destroyed top-flight domestic football. FACT.

Edited by BigFatTabbyDave

7 minutes ago, Tutankhamen said:

The main difference between our European neighbours is a team in Scotland has won multi leagues, twice.

The colts haven't been allowed in yet, m9.

3 hours ago, Tutankhamen said:

Celtic are fighting it out with Juve to be first to get to 10 in row.

Closely followed by Bayern Munich with 8 in a row.

Fighting it out suggests that those clubs and their supporters might give some thought to Celtic's progress or Rangers attempts to stop them. Unless they get drawn against them in Europe, I doubt they give it any thought at all.

6 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

I actually had this discussion with my mates yesterday. It's unlikely ever to happen but if someone with significant wealth was to put a decent amount of money into a Scottish team then I think it could be done. I'm talking an owner that would run the club properly rather than some of the charlatans that have been in charge of Scottish clubs over the years.

The example we discussed was Bournemouth who are owned by a Russian billionaire. He'll have no doubt pumped millions into them over the last few years and he's now left with a Championship club. I've never really understood why someone like that doesn't put their money into Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen or any Scottish club really. To be successful in Scotland they would only need to spend a fraction of what they spend in England and if they spend the money wisely they could have a genuine title contender and the possibility of Champions League football.

The above may be viewed as utter pish in the eyes of many so feel free to ridicule.

I'd imagine it's because most owners don't want trophies, they want financial return on their investment. Owning a Bournemouth team floating about the bottom half of the EPL would be substantially more lucrative than buying over, say, Aberdeen and winning the league here.

It’s almost impossible due to the financial gulf between the clubs, Rangers and Celtic also have the lion share of media coverage and televised game which allows them to hoover up most of the armchair fans meaning it’ll probably never change. There’s two ways the strangle could be broken.
1. A plucky underdog (Aberdeen, Hearts or Hibs) gets lucky and brings through great youngsters along with some awesome dealings in coaching and transfers. Even then they’d need both Glasgow teams to have a nightmare season with injuries and even then they’d need to reject bids for their players from the OF and English clubs so highly unlikely..
2. Some crackpot billionaire or a company like Red Bull buy a Scottish club to play fantasy football with like Gretna on Roids. More likely to happen than the first scenario but Scottish football just isn’t attractive to this type of scenario.
Sadly I think we’re stuck with Celtic hoovering up everything until Rangers eventually break their hold, rinse and repeat.

6 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

I actually had this discussion with my mates yesterday. It's unlikely ever to happen but if someone with significant wealth was to put a decent amount of money into a Scottish team then I think it could be done. I'm talking an owner that would run the club properly rather than some of the charlatans that have been in charge of Scottish clubs over the years.

The example we discussed was Bournemouth who are owned by a Russian billionaire. He'll have no doubt pumped millions into them over the last few years and he's now left with a Championship club. I've never really understood why someone like that doesn't put their money into Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen or any Scottish club really. To be successful in Scotland they would only need to spend a fraction of what they spend in England and if they spend the money wisely they could have a genuine title contender and the possibility of Champions League football.

The above may be viewed as utter pish in the eyes of many so feel free to ridicule.

Winning the Scottish League won't cut much ice with your oligarch/Arabian royal family pals though. You might persuade one to buy up some golf courses to show off, but telling them you own Tynecastle and all its contents won't get them excited.

3 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

It’s almost impossible due to the financial gulf between the clubs, Rangers and Celtic also have the lion share of media coverage and televised game which allows them to hoover up most of the armchair fans meaning it’ll probably never change. There’s two ways the strangle could be broken.
1. A plucky underdog (Aberdeen, Hearts or Hibs) gets lucky and brings through great youngsters along with some awesome dealings in coaching and transfers. Even then they’d need both Glasgow teams to have a nightmare season with injuries and even then they’d need to reject bids for their players from the OF and English clubs so highly unlikely..
2. Some crackpot billionaire or a company like Red Bull buy a Scottish club to play fantasy football with like Gretna on Roids. More likely to happen than the first scenario but Scottish football just isn’t attractive to this type of scenario.
Sadly I think we’re stuck with Celtic hoovering up everything until Rangers eventually break their hold, rinse and repeat.

As well as Gretna itself, Dundee, Dundee United and Hibs show that there are certainly crackpot millionaires having a wee go at the fantasy football. We just need a better class of crackpot.

How do you end up with a million out of Scottish football?

Start with 10 million 

I suppose if I won the Euromillions tomorrow it would be easier for me to put money into a club like Dunbar United or Haddington Athletic. Near enough to Edinburgh to pick up decent players, growing towns, and could probably build a new ground next to the A1 without too much planning hassle. If my largesse led to East Lothian's first Scottish League club then I'd be a legend. 

Whereas if I put my money into say, Dundee, to chase League glory there'd be plenty of torn faced guys saying I wasn't spending enough. And that wouldn't be limited to just Dundee, it applies to a lot of teams.

This might be why some prefer to put money into Cove, Kelty and Brora rather than Aberdeen, Dunfermline and Ross County.