Mighty Montrose FC Thread

25 minutes ago, Brummo said:

Thanks for the update. Really enjoy your posts. It's early days but maybe, just maybe, we are starting to shake the monkey of last season's disappointment off our backs. Petrie may just have managed to get a team together which delivers.

Next week will help confirm this.

Thanks 👍

With Steeves and Waddell still to come back, they are definite improvements to Mo, and if Petrie can get the best out of Evan you can maybe find the previous season's strength across the backline. Will need that solid foundation to get back into the promotion playoffs imo.

Kane will definitely get goals in L1. Lyons, Thompson and Brown have quality on the ball and Masson does the hard grind in the middle. 

Hopefully you spend the Rory money and find a capable striker (free agent or more likely loan). If that happens you should have as good a chance as any of the clubs looking to sneak into the promotion playoffs.

3rd and 4th will be up for grabs for a few clubs I feel

Edited by CoveRangers1922

The other player doing well for us consistently is Machado.  We had two central direct free kicks in the first half taken abysmally by 1. Paul Watson and 2. Miller Thomson (both of whom played well otherwise).  I would have liked to see the Brazilian step up......

Secure performance yesterday from our young goalie, Ross Matthews.  The clean sheet will have done his confidence a lot of good and he will be an able replacement if Cammy starts to slip up at all.

Finally the team morale and balance seems much better without Rory, just saying.

That's all

14 minutes ago, broomiesniper said:

@CoveRangers1922 do Cove not publish highlights?  Would like to see Craig Brown’s goal from the angle the cameras would have caught it

I haven't seen highlights from us in along time to be honest. We're videoing games and analysis performances but our YouTube channel is just full of post match interviews sadly.

Some strike, leathered it into the top corner.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, broomiesniper said:

Just found the highlights of SPFL website, shocking camera work for Miller Thomson’s second goal. The entire run, and nearly the finish, was missed by focusing on a player lying on the pitch 

They’re taken from the Edinburgh City highlights package which are usually absolutely excellent - up there with the best in the lower leagues. Would give them a break on that and ask why Montrose haven’t done a highlights package themselves.

Edinburgh City ones above which have extended coverage which I’m sure you’ll all enjoy 

2 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

They’re taken from the Edinburgh City highlights package which are usually absolutely excellent - up there with the best in the lower leagues. Would give them a break on that and ask why Montrose haven’t done a highlights package themselves.

Edinburgh City ones above which have extended coverage which I’m sure you’ll all enjoy 

Listen to the commentary.  The guys has no clue what is going on but that doesn't stop him talkin complete nonsense.  I gave up listening at half time - SO BAD.

1 hour ago, Brummo said:

Cockiness apparent in spadefuls from home fans of this weekend's fixture. Let's hope Ryan Williamson proves proves his detractors' optimism unfounded.

I think it's true that some Falkirk fans are perhaps, not unsurprisingly given recent form and performances optimistic about Saturday, however, there are at least as many, if not more extremely wary of both Montrose recent form and our shaky recent record against you. 

There are also quite a few mo fans optimistic too. The mo guy on the Falkirk daft podcast spoke really well in detail about why you guys could get a result too 

Ps for what it's worth I liked Ryan Williamson and thought he got more crtisicm than he deserved.

2 hours ago, Brummo said:

Cockiness apparent in spadefuls from home fans of this weekend's fixture. Let's hope Ryan Williamson proves proves his detractors' optimism unfounded.

Just had a look at the match thread to seen what you were on about and I don't see one post that could be described as 'cocky' apart, perhaps, from the very last one.

2 hours ago, Brummo said:

Bollocks!

For the first time in years we are looking like a decent football side but we recognise that Montrose are a difficult opponent.

It is also true that Williamson can be an effective wing back (when going forward) but he has the turning circle of a supertanker and has not made a tackle any time in living memory.

Edited by Reggie Perrin

2 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

Just had a look at the match thread to seen what you were on about and I don't see one post that could be described as 'cocky' apart, perhaps, from the very last one.

That would be the cockiness in spadefuls being referred to. Not one Falkirk post on that thread since then, (6 hours ago and counting) suggesting anything to the contrary.

Agreed he is an outlier in terms of suggesting the Mo being well beaten, which they may well be, however many Falkirk posts slagging off Williamson's vulnerability as a defender, which is fair enough based on his time at Falkirk.

In terms of my post, I think it is entirely fair for me to suggest that Falkirk supporters saw him as a soft target and likely to be a channel for leaking goals.

Edited by Brummo

18 minutes ago, Brummo said:

That would be the cockiness in spadefuls being referred to. Not one Falkirk post on that thread since then, suggesting anything to the contrary.

Agreed he is an outlier in terms of suggesting the Mo being well beaten, which they may well be, however many Falkirk posts slagging off Williamson's vulnerability as a defender, which is fair enough based on his time at Falkirk.

In terms of my post, I think it is entirely fair for me to suggest that Falkirk supporters saw him as a soft target and likely to be a channel for leaking goals.

Pointing out Williamson’s deficiencies is not cockiness.

24 minutes ago, Brummo said:

That would be the cockiness in spadefuls being referred to. Not one Falkirk post on that thread since then, suggesting anything to the contrary.

So, one post from however many there are amounts to 'cockiness in spadefuls from home fans'? Many of the Falkirk fan's posts before the one in question could be described as contradicting that one.

Giving our opinion on Williamson during his time with us doesn't amount to cockiness IMO.

Your last line is fair enough, it's based on our experience and opinion on the man. Again, doesn't amount to cockiness though.

22 hours ago, Brummo said:

That would be the cockiness in spadefuls being referred to. Not one Falkirk post on that thread since then, (6 hours ago and counting) suggesting anything to the contrary.

the big lebowski drinking GIF

23 hours ago, Brummo said:

Mate, Williamson is fucking rubbish.

Ach, Williamson has been fine enough - he took a fair few games to get going, but seems more settled now. He's certainly no Cammy Ballantyne, but he's better than anything we tried last season. So far, so good on the fitness/injury front, unlike some of our other defenders...