Mighty Montrose FC Thread

9 minutes ago, A Username With Mo In It said:

I did wonder if that was a hint on the Mo logo on the Facebook page.

344896247_571246994851951_926924682219806281_n.jpg

I’m a big fan of it based on the photo, not very often that I buy a shirt but I think I’ll probably grab one of these.

17 hours ago, mo83 said:

Davie Larter is not in it for the money,but yeah fair old trek from York back and fourth.

I wasn't suggesting he was in it for the money, he's up at plenty games anyway it's just the midweek training sessions that you'd think would be a hassle.  His wife must be very understanding as well!

40 minutes ago, Terry_Tibbs said:

What are the expectations for this season?

Hard to say at this point, still a few clubs need to sort out their recruitment but I’d imagine we’ll be looking to push for the play offs again 

On 20/06/2023 at 09:09, broomiesniper said:

so different shirt sponsors for home and away kit, no Carnegie Fuels any more?

With the extra national exposure Montrose are getting this season, by way of the woman's team playing in the SPWL, it could be a shrewd bit of business by InterMoor to sponsor the club as a whole.

Another forward signed Craig Batchelor from Carnoustie Panmure,don't know much about him personally but do know he has been training for months so he has must have done well enough to earn a contract looking forward to seeing how this pans out.💪💪💪💪

5 hours ago, mo83 said:

Another forward signed Craig Batchelor from Carnoustie Panmure,don't know much about him personally but do know he has been training for months so he has must have done well enough to earn a contract looking forward to seeing how this pans out.💪💪💪💪

Evan Towler in from Aberdeen, talk to me @Super Elgin City @CoveRangers1922

31 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Evan Towler in from Aberdeen, talk to me @Super Elgin City @CoveRangers1922

He was barely 17 when he joined us on loan and was taking Harry's position. Tough boots to fill given the latter was perhaps the best ever player to play for us and is SPL standard.

What I saw of Evan was he is raw but ahead of the curve for his age, and for his age and size is tenacious in the challenge, almost too much so. Like Cammy B he will rack up a few yellows. He has got potential no doubt. In my opinion he's more a left back than a left wing back. Was a big ask to jump from L2 to the Championship when we were going through a period of change and uncertainty under McIntyre but in L1 he could do well for you. 

He must have only played about 6-10 games in all competitions for us before we took in Max Johnston (RB) on loan and then Shay went LB. After that he barely played.

You have Steeves so interested to see where Evan will fit in.

From what I've seen there's not much of a difference quality wise between a lot of the LB youths at Aberdeen, i.e Ngwenya, Hancock (now released) and Evan. 

Edited by CoveRangers1922

13 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

He was barely 17 when he joined us on loan and was taking Harry's position. Tough boots to fill given the latter was perhaps the best ever player to play for us and is SPL standard.

What I saw of Evan was he is raw but ahead of the curve for his age, and for his age and size is tenacious in the challenge, almost too much so. Like Cammy B he will rack up a few yellows. He has got potential no doubt. In my opinion he's more a left back than a left wing back. Was a big ask to jump from L2 to the Championship when we were going through a period of change and uncertainty under McIntyre but in L1 he could do well for you. 

He must have only played about 6-10 games in all competitions for us before we took in Max Johnston (RB) on loan and then Shay went LB. After that he barely played.

You have Steeves so interested to see where Evan will fit in.

From what I've seen there's not much of a difference quality wise between a lot of the LB youths at Aberdeen, i.e Ngwenya, Hancock (now released) and Evan. 

Our announcement on the club website has him as a left sided central defender who can also play full back, which if true is exactly what we’ve needed for a while now.

Stewart Petrie spoke about wanting to play Hester and McCallister together, I wouldn’t be surprised to see us play a 352 or a variation of that at times to allow for them to both play up top, if we do then Towler will get plenty of game time.

I really like Towler tbh. He's still very young so isn't perfect yet but think he could do very well for you. Unlike most 18 year old loanees teams at this sort of level sign he actually has a decent amount of first team football under his belt. He came in just after his 17th birthday and instantly looked like one of our better players. Good defensively so left of a back 3 may suit him and I think he's improved going forward since we first had him. Good luck to him, I'll follow his career with interest.

27 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Our announcement on the club website has him as a left sided central defender who can also play full back, which if true is exactly what we’ve needed for a while now.

Stewart Petrie spoke about wanting to play Hester and McCallister together, I wouldn’t be surprised to see us play a 352 or a variation of that at times to allow for them to both play up top, if we do then Towler will get plenty of game time.

He's not the tallest but with Waddell or Dillon next to him I see how it could work playing as a left sided centre back.

If Hester can form a partnership and understanding with Rory like Mitch did then it will be a missing part of the puzzle that Mo haven't had for a few years.  Interesting to see what type of players Petrie recruits to bolster the squad further.

Welcome Evan Towler! looks to be a good loan signing this very happy with the business we have done so far in the window looking good to go.

Personally would like to see one more player in the door ,Centre midfielder for me still a bit weak their in my opinion some fresh legs in their and we are good to go.

33 minutes ago, mo83 said:

Welcome Evan Towler! looks to be a good loan signing this very happy with the business we have done so far in the window looking good to go.

Personally would like to see one more player in the door ,Centre midfielder for me still a bit weak their in my opinion some fresh legs in their and we are good to go.

Would agree with the need for a central midfielder, I think as things stand regardless of what shape we play we’re probably looking at Liam Callaghan and Terry Masson starting most weeks and whilst both are perfectly serviceable Legue 1 midfielders, we’re probably gonna need a step up in quality if we’re aiming to get in to the play offs again. It could of course end up being that Ali Shrive is Banchory’s answer to Luka Modric but I somehow doubt that and I definitely wouldn’t want to rely on Paul Watson starting every week.

Pretty sure this is absolutely not how we’re going to line up but good to see we have good depth everywhere, other than maybe right back where we’d be relying on Webster to drop in for Williamson. A few players in there as well who can cover a couple of different positions if needed.

IMG_4368.jpeg