COVID-19 In Scottish Football

I thought something similar listening to Michael Stewart & A N Other (I forget who) discussing both cases on the Sportsound podcast - the Aberdeen guys (who Stewart probably knows) were apparently stupid, but he could understand how it happened whereas Bolingoli was just completely in the wrong without a leg to stand on. It felt at best like the old boys network kicking in and at worst a little racist. 

Probably because one of them involves going to a restaurant and pub, something they along with everyone else are allowed to do, with the only problem being that too many households met at one time, and the other one involves leaving the country and ignoring quarantine laws on his return.

40 minutes ago, 8GamesToGo said:

Good you bring that up. Had the SPFL delayed the start of the new league, which they could have done, we could have worked through all these issues while finishing the previous one. Like so many other countries did.

Instead we get "Gong Show Part Deux: Part Repeat, Part Sequel, All Nonsense"

Just super governance again from the blazers. What an incredibly competent bunch. not reactive instead of proactive at all. Give them a pay rise I say.

It really was brilliant, wasn't it? Thanks for the recap.

theresa may GIF

Edited by Szamo's_Ammo

On 11/08/2020 at 13:17, Ross. said:

Postponing the match isn't really a punishment. It's a minor inconvenience. A significant fine, a points deduction, or making them play without all players who are now isolating would be akin to punishment.

In the case of Hamilton v Aberdeen the only team 'punished' by postponing the game is Hamilton.

Not only will Aberdeen now have the 8 players that would have been unavailable last night available, but, depending on when the match is played, they may also benefit from having some supporters in the ground versus none at all.

29 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Probably because one of them involves going to a restaurant and pub, something they along with everyone else are allowed to do, with the only problem being that too many households met at one time, and the other one involves leaving the country and ignoring quarantine laws on his return.

I know what you’re saying, and if the players had just gone for a quiet drink I’d have been more sympathetic to your point. But the state of the pub they were in - massively overcrowded, queues to get in, zero social distancing, means they  must have known they were breaking the general rules for being out in such a situation, even if they thought the size of their group was OK. The same goes for everybody else who was in that pub. 

Also, did you hear the podcast in question? I’m not suggesting anything one way or another by that, (it’s incredibly difficult to write this without it sounding defensive or like an accusation!) but to me the tone Stewart used to talk about both breaches seemed markedly different. I would just be curious to see what you thought. 

32 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

In the case of Hamilton v Aberdeen the only team 'punished' by postponing the game is Hamilton.

Not only will Aberdeen now have the 8 players that would have been unavailable last night available, but, depending on when the match is played, they may also benefit from having some supporters in the ground versus none at all.

I see we’re back to describing the postponement of matches as a punishment. It’s not intended to punish. It’s a warning, you need our (Scot Gov) permission to play and it can be taken away. Here’s how, and do it again and we’ll stop all games.

19 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Bolingoli and the 8 Aberdeen players will be banned for 4 games tomorrow.

If true, well, Boli's no great loss to Celtic, but that's terrific news for St Johnstone, Livi, Hibs and Killie who are the next four opponents on Aberdeen's fixture list.

And sickening news for Accies who ought to have been playing one of those games.

2 hours ago, 8GamesToGo said:

Had the SPFL delayed the start of the new league, which they could have done, we could have worked through all these issues while finishing the previous one. Like so many other countries did.

Where would the entertainment have been in that?

56 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

If true, well, Boli's no great loss to Celtic, but that's terrific news for St Johnstone, Livi, Hibs and Killie who are the next four opponents on Aberdeen's fixture list.

And sickening news for Accies who ought to have been playing one of those games.

Perhaps a fairer outcome would be to ban the Aberdeen 8 for the 2 rearranged fixtures they caused to be postponed, plus 2 more.

58 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

I would be surprised if a form of strict liability for clubs came in tomorrow so the only thing that should happen is individual bans put in place.

Guest DAVIDB69
I see we’re back to describing the postponement of matches as a punishment. It’s not intended to punish. It’s a warning, you need our (Scot Gov) permission to play and it can be taken away. Here’s how, and do it again and we’ll stop all games.

Which to me is a really bad sign , in England the Fa were left to get on with it and police themselves .

However as we have such a shambolic governing body , and nic and her big stick will continuously involve themselves in these matters.

10 minutes ago, DAVIDB69 said:

Which to me is a really bad sign , in England the Fa were left to get on with it and police themselves .

However as we have such a shambolic governing body , and nic and her big stick will continuously involve themselves in these matters.

To me it’s a sign that the SFA and SPFL couldn’t persuade the government that they had done enough to get the message to clubs and player and had put nothing in place to deal with clubs and players who got it wrong.

21 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I would be surprised if a form of strict liability for clubs came in tomorrow so the only thing that should happen is individual bans put in place.

That's  not what I'm suggesting. I figure it's good news for all the teams playing Aberdeen if they're 8 players down.

2 hours ago, Junior_Arab said:

I know what you’re saying, and if the players had just gone for a quiet drink I’d have been more sympathetic to your point. But the state of the pub they were in - massively overcrowded, queues to get in, zero social distancing, means they  must have known they were breaking the general rules for being out in such a situation, even if they thought the size of their group was OK. The same goes for everybody else who was in that pub. 

Also, did you hear the podcast in question? I’m not suggesting anything one way or another by that, (it’s incredibly difficult to write this without it sounding defensive or like an accusation!) but to me the tone Stewart used to talk about both breaches seemed markedly different. I would just be curious to see what you thought. 

I make a very deliberate point never to listen to Sportsound podcast, because generally they have awful guests. Stewart is fine generally, but most of the others are not.

4 hours ago, 8GamesToGo said:

Good you bring that up. Had the SPFL delayed the start of the new league, which they could have done, we could have worked through all these issues while finishing the previous one. Like so many other countries did.

Instead we get "Gong Show Part Deux: Part Repeat, Part Sequel, All Nonsense"

Just super governance again from the blazers. What an incredibly competent bunch. not reactive instead of proactive at all. Give them a pay rise I say.

How many times does the UEFA deadline and the Scottish government regulations need to be explained to you, you fucking moonhowling fuckwit?

4 hours ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Hearts have been told to stop training immediately 😂😂😂

Not just Hearts- there was a FB post from the West of Scotland League secretary saying training is to stop immediately and don't try any cunning plans like having a secret kick about in the park.

So Aberdeen and Celtic players have spoilt it for Annbank and Maybole, well done lads.

Anybody know what the egg chasers are up to at the moment? I take it they're not due to restart at any time.

57 minutes ago, DAVIDB69 said:

NS and her goons that march in Glasgow periodically have no interest in football.

Getting tough with football whips the "pay nurses footballers' wages" brigade into a frenzy. Great PR.

7 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Anybody know what the egg chasers are up to at the moment? I take it they're not due to restart at any time.

Glasgow and Edinburgh are due to play on 22/08 & 28/08

And Edinburgh have a game against Ulster in September

No idea about any other games. It's the end of their season now anyway normally, isn't it?

Edited by Todd_is_God