COVID-19 In Scottish Football

1 hour ago, G51 said:

None of the other leagues got a vote in favour of delaying because the restrictions won't hurt most of them, and because they didn't have a winter break to bring forward.

Every single other league did hold a vote, and they all voted in favour of playing on.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Every single other league did hold a vote, and they all voted in favour of playing on.

I'll correct myself: they had a vote, but because most clubs wouldn't be affected by restrictions and they had no winter break to bring forward, the games were not postponed. 

I see Dunfermline have announced that they'll be playing their upcoming matches behind closed doors, highlighting that they'd make a greater loss paying for all the match day costs with only 500 punters to cover a fraction of them.

https://dafc.co.uk/story.php?t=DAFC_Board_Statement_&ID=13512

11 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

Davey’s been on the drams tonight 

Can’t see ScotGov being in any rush to accommodate that churlish, whining old fud. It’s almost like him constantly trying to be wide was Ill-advised. Who knew? 🤷‍♂️

It's always the Rangers "fans" that go to about one pre-season game every three years, and haven't set foot in an away ground in their puff, that call for these away day boycotts.  You really love to see it.

They really genuinely believe that it's the money clubs get from Rangers fans that keeps the lights on at these clubs.  The idea that clubs will just cut their cloth accordingly, based on a planned budget, doesn't even come into their heads.  Then again, as Rangers fans, why would it?

12 hours ago, steve55 said:

Everyone should make sure they PAY for all PPV matches and give clubs much needed income during these times.

Dont use these illegal streams.

I pay for all streams home and away.  I even pay for Livi and st Jonstone with their rip off prices.

No thanks.  If you think me and 90% people are going to pay £15 every week for a crap stream with rubbish commentators then you're dreaming.

I pay £35 for the year's telly. Brilliant deal imo. 

I'm also a season ticket holder for Dundee's oldest and greatest club so I'm more than happy with my contribution to Scottish football. 

Edited by Derryboy62

1 hour ago, Kyle Reese said:

Can’t see ScotGov being in any rush to accommodate that churlish, whining old fud. It’s almost like him constantly trying to be wide was Ill-advised. Who knew? 🤷‍♂️

Should he not be directing his tweet at the Coronavirus?

I guess the logic is that only most folk have Covid now, whereas in a few weeks everyone will have it.

8 minutes ago, FrankChickens1 said:

Should he not be directing his tweet at the Coronavirus?

I guess the logic is that only most folk have Covid now, whereas in a few weeks everyone will have it.

Something… something… cinemas… waffle… something… under ten thousand… something… yaddah… 

Boy’s an absolute clown. 

Hopefully it’s not going to come to this but the prospect of having to shorten the season yet again is a real one

One option would be to do a three way split as opposed to a two way split. So there would be 3 post split fixtures as opposed to 5

Obviously everyone hopes this isn’t going to be needed but it’s the kind of “in case of emergency” plan that should be discussed in advance as opposed to thrown together in a hurry

10 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Hopefully it’s not going to come to this but the prospect of having to shorten the season yet again is a real one

One option would be to do a three way split as opposed to a two way split. So there would be 3 post split fixtures as opposed to 5

Obviously everyone hopes this isn’t going to be needed but it’s the kind of “in case of emergency” plan that should be discussed in advance as opposed to thrown together in a hurry

They could make up for the loss of games by going a step further and reset the scores at the split too. Add a bit of excitement. Straight play off for the title, and relegation.

59 minutes ago, Desp said:

It's always the Rangers "fans" that go to about one pre-season game every three years, and haven't set foot in an away ground in their puff, that call for these away day boycotts.  You really love to see it.

They really genuinely believe that it's the money clubs get from Rangers fans that keeps the lights on at these clubs.  The idea that clubs will just cut their cloth accordingly, based on a planned budget, doesn't even come into their heads.  Then again, as Rangers fans, why would it?

The fact that no benefits more from Old Firm away fans than Rangers and Celtic doesn't seem to occur to them.

They played one game each without away fans this season and lost them both. 

Edited by Detournement

The Rangers and Celtic claim that clubs are reliant on their home fans could be easily dismissed, if clubs reduced their away allocations, and didn’t actually budget for them turning up in such huge numbers. It would undoubtedly affect budgets, but until that happens, it’s hard to make a coherent argument that clubs don’t depend on them, whilst simultaneously depending on them.

Its a hugely unpopular opinion, but I’d like to see a cap put on the percentage of away supporters at any ground. Certainly never more than the home support. I believe this would stop the Old Firm having sway over how other clubs vote.

As I said, an unpopular opinion, and I get why, but it’s where I am. 

Edited by Kyle Reese

22 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

The Rangers and Celtic claim that clubs are reliant on their home fans could be easily dismissed, if clubs reduced their away allocations, and didn’t actually budget for them turning up in such huge numbers. It would undoubtedly affect budgets, but until that happens, it’s hard to make a coherent argument that clubs don’t depend on them, whilst simultaneously depending on them.

Its a hugely unpopular opinion, but I’d like to see a cap put on the percentage of away supporters at any ground. Certainly never more than the home support. I believe this would stop the Old Firm having sway over how other clubs vote.

As I said, an unpopular opinion, and I get why, but it’s where I am. 

Do we actually have any sway over how other clubs vote though? I can't recall a time I've seen a club make a decision and think "That's obviously to appease Rangers/Celtic".

As mentioned before, any talk of boycott comes from the wee guy element of the support that likely don't attend away games anyway.

2 minutes ago, AJF said:

Do we actually have any sway over how other clubs vote though? I can't recall a time I've seen a club make a decision and think "That's obviously to appease Rangers/Celtic".

As mentioned before, any talk of boycott comes from the wee guy element of the support that likely don't attend away games anyway.

I would say so. If I was the owner of a club who enjoyed having three stands full of OF supporters four times a season, when those stands normally sit almost empty, and I'd factored that in to my budget, then I'd be pretty reluctant to vote for something like a bigger top division. That's just one example. 

I'd put the chances of not completing the season at less than 1%. As we saw last season, the clubs do not want to make a plan because they'd rather make a decision at the time.

45 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

I would say so. If I was the owner of a club who enjoyed having three stands full of OF supporters four times a season, when those stands normally sit almost empty, and I'd factored that in to my budget, then I'd be pretty reluctant to vote for something like a bigger top division. That's just one example. 

That's fair enough, but I'd argue clubs not wanting to share OF away fans with more clubs due to their own interests is not the same as the OF swaying the way a club votes on matters.

It seemed as though it was being suggested that the OF clubs could manipulate other clubs into voting the way they want, apologies if I've picked that up wrong.

Edited by AJF

12 minutes ago, AJF said:

That's fair enough, but I'd argue clubs not wanting to share OF away fans with more clubs due to their own interests is not the same as the OF swaying the way a club votes on matters.

It seemed as though it was being suggested that the OF clubs could manipulate other clubs into voting the way they want, apologies if I've picked that up wrong.

Perhaps I could have phrased it better. Fair enough. 

I do remember a few years ago when the idea of an expanded top division was mooted, that Michael Johnson and Geoff Brown were quoted as being against it. I can’t remember all the details, I’d have to look it up, but… I suspect their reasons were probably in line with what I’m saying.