COVID-19 In Scottish Football

15 minutes ago, ahemps said:

By every measure it is a better stadium then Hampden. Views, location, facilities. What does Hampden have that is better than Murrayfield?

I am a massive football fan however I don't have the view that this automatically means I have to hate rugby. I have been to several Scotland rugby games and the day out at Murrayfield puts the football to shame. 

I was at Hearts v St. Johnstone at Murrayfield. It was fucking tragic. I was barely midway up the stand behind the goal and it seemed I was at least 50+ yards further away from the goal than at Hampden for starters. The goals where miles up the park. It was arguably the worst view I've had at a football game. 

No one has said anyone's to hate rugby but what I experienced in terms of view etc was absolutely unequivocally poorer than any game of football I've been to at Hampden and I've sat 3/4 angles at Hampden. I can only base it on experience I've had. 

I've been the Nou Camp and sat in row absolute Z and it was still better than Murrayfields view I had. Can't comment on days out for rugby etc but the football itself was a much poorer experience. 

Goals similar distance to the stand than Hampden. Can't remember exactly row but maybe 2/3 up-ish?

Screenshot_20200826-133235.jpg

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

As others have mentioned online, putting rivalries aside for the time being, I'd be interested to hear the reasons why a football test event has been rejected while a rugby test event at Murrayfield has got the go ahead.

Is there some valid reasoning behind it, or is it just a case of football fans being shafted yet again?

I was at Hearts v St. Johnstone at Murrayfield. It was fucking tragic. I was barely midway up the stand behind the goal and it seemed I was at least 50+ yards further away from the goal than at Hampden for starters. The goals where miles up the park. It was arguably the worst view I've had at a football game. 
No one has said anyone's to hate rugby but what I experienced in terms of view etc was absolutely unequivocally poorer than any game of football I've been to at Hampden and I've sat 3/4 angles at Hampden. I can only base it on experience I've had. 
I've been the Nou Camp and sat in row absolute Z and it was still better than Murrayfields view I had. Can't comment on days out for rugby etc but the football itself was a much poorer experience. 
Goals similar distance to the stand than Hampden. Can't remember exactly row but maybe 2/3 up-ish?
Screenshot_20200826-133235.thumb.jpg.b63e7c43e76413fec9fe652aceb496c3.jpg

Can only base it on the experiences I’ve had too. Been to plenty of games at Hampden and Murrayfield (seen rugby and football at Murrayfield) and Murrayfield wins hands down on every possible measure for me.

In my opinion Hampden is one of the worst stadiums in Scotland in terms of fan experience. What it really needs is a big bulldozer.

13 minutes ago, AJF said:

As others have mentioned online, putting rivalries aside for the time being, I'd be interested to hear the reasons why a football test event has been rejected while a rugby test event at Murrayfield has got the go ahead.

Is there some valid reasoning behind it, or is it just a case of football fans being shafted yet again?

One reasonable explanation I've seen someone suggest is that it's been deemed that one test event for sport stadia in general this weekend is enough. 

Also seen someone suggest they've maybe deemed one test event enough is due to the already growing number of covid cases they don't want to potentially bourdon the testing framework if both events end up requiring wide spread testing. 

All speculating but potentially some common sense in those I'd say. 

I cannot see football being allowed any test events until post the 14th Sept date. 

22 minutes ago, AJF said:

As I’ve said elsewhere, I never thought that the Scottish Government would give the go ahead for a club, who have a charge for breaking Covid rules from their ruling body hanging over them until tomorrow at least, to have fans in their stadium. If another club had applied, the outcome may have been different.

15 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

One reasonable explanation I've seen someone suggest is that it's been deemed that one test event for sport stadia in general this weekend is enough. 

Also seen someone suggest they've maybe deemed one test event enough is due to the already growing number of covid cases they don't want to potentially bourdon the testing framework if both events end up requiring wide spread testing. 

I cannot see football being allowed any test events until post the 14th Sept date. 

After the 14th September they wouldn't be "test events", they'd just be "events".

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

After the 14th September they wouldn't be "test events", they'd just be "events".

If they've officially been given the go ahead to have proper "events" post the 14th (which I have some doubt) or they'll still be "test events" 😜

I support a club who are notoriously slow at organising almost everything so are unlikely to be prepared by the 14th regardless if they're given the go ahead or not so not sure why I'm bothered! We'll likely be last to have fans back. 

25 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

The Scottish Government gave Knockhill the green light to run the BTCC this weekend as a sport test event. With 200 spectators. It normally attracts circa 20,000. The circuit rejected that proposal so it's going ahead behind closed doors.

Granted it's not a stadium, but I wondered how many clubs/sports actually want to host a test event? I'd imagine it will be expensive for the small crowd and if something goes wrong it's your club who will be panned. Realistically it has to run flawlessly. Could it be that the SRU and Celtic are two of the only organisations who have the finances and the staff to be able to stage these?

Spoiler

By the way, whoever decided a safe capacity for Knockhill was 200 when 700 can go to Murrayfield needs punted pronto. 

knockhill_racing_circuit.jpg

1 minute ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Sick of these journalists skirting around the tough questions. Someone has to have the bottle to ask Nicola and Jason: "What football team do you support?" 

Pretty sure Leitch said he's an Airdrie fan.

19 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

The Scottish Government gave Knockhill the green light to run the BTCC this weekend as a sport test event. With 200 spectators. It normally attracts circa 20,000. The circuit rejected that proposal so it's going ahead behind closed doors.

Granted it's not a stadium, but I wondered how many clubs/sports actually want to host a test event? I'd imagine it will be expensive for the small crowd and if something goes wrong it's your club who will be panned. Realistically it has to run flawlessly. Could it be that the SRU and Celtic are two of the only organisations who have the finances and the staff to be able to stage these?

Reveal hidden contents

By the way, whoever decided a safe capacity for Knockhill was 200 when 700 can go to Murrayfield needs punted pronto. 

knockhill_racing_circuit.jpg

Been hearing more about RFU steps to have the test event since I last posted. 

One thing that stands out is they're limiting the distance people are travelling to the game. Can see things like that being a challenge for smaller organisations as if you're doing that via online sales your online system is probably outsourced so would cost more at short notice to get it changed for the sake of 200 punters isn't worth it..

48 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

They explanations certainly seem reasonable on the face of it, which is why I'd like to see the reason's for the refusal published somewhere or commented on to take away any doubt.

Until then, people will continue to speculate that football fans are being unfairly treated.

I will also add for some balance though, that 'test events' should only be taking place if the option was offered to all clubs.

Rejected because the Scottish govt are being cautious. The rugby test event was always planned and the preferred situation for a trial run.

Finish one test before starting a second.

I heard Celtic were disappointed it didn't happen but understood the reasoning and not kicking up a fuss because they weren't 100% convinced their test would complete with no issues. For example fans without tickets coming to Celtic park was an issue, especially with the lack of clarity on this ballot and future games.

The last thing Celtic wanted was to create more issues for football. Their opinion was to let rugby take some heat if things go wrong.

7 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

One thing that stands out is they're limiting the distance people are travelling to the game. 

Got to feel for the likes of the Lochee **** and Inverness True Blues if that is replicated in football in a couple of weeks and beyond.

Evil Smile GIF by memecandy