Accies vs Buddies - 15/8

Brilliant result, shouldn't have been as nervy in the 2nd half as we should have been at least 2 up.

We sat in a bit more but to be fair Accies took the game to us. Again if we were a bit more composed and clinical with our counter attacks we could have killed it off.

Alnwick pulled off some great stops again. Our players are starting to get their match fitness now, even McAllister looked back to his old self in the first half.

2 of our bogey teams played and 2 victories with clean sheets.

Got to be delighted with that.

4 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

even McAllister looked back to his old self in the first half.

He was in the game in the first half, but did his usual disappearing act in the second and deserved to be hooked. If he wants to be a regular in the starting 11 he needs to raise his game big time for the whole 90 minutes. Living on past glories and the hype and excitement that came with his return to the club, but so far this season he isn't doing it for me

Edited by DXBBud

Not the most convincing second half but a fantastic result. Shaughnessy and Alnwick were great again. I think the yellow cards for Foley and Tait made us quite nervy but Accies ran out of steam the last 10-15 minutes. I hope we don’t shift to one up front so early on in future games.

3 minutes ago, DXBBud said:

He was in the game in the first half, but did his usual disappearing act in the second and deserved to be hooked. If he wants to be a regular in the starting 11 he needs to raise his game big time for the whole 90 minutes. Living on past glories and the hype and excitement that came with his return to the club, but so far this season he isn't doing it for me

I thought McAllister had his best game in a long time. Did you not notice how Hamilton improved when McAllister went off ? I certainly did. 

Accies will probably think they were worth a point as they were the better side in the second half. That said we should've been up 2-0 at half time and despite Alnwick having a couple of decent saves I don't think Hamilton really created many clear cut chances. 

The second half was scrappy and we really needed someone to put their foot on the ball, hopefully Flynn coming back can help with that. A couple of times Obika took a bad touch where we could've done with him holding on to it and slowing the game down. 

A win and a clean sheet away from home though. Can't really ask for much more. 

Just now, ZingaliMan said:

I thought McAllister had his best game in a long time. Did you not notice how Hamilton improved when McAllister went off ? I certainly did. 

Hamilton improved after their substitutions and Johnston came on, not because the defensive workhorse that McAllister isn't went off. Once Tait figured him out he faded out and went for a quick pass or cross

1 minute ago, ZingaliMan said:

I agree that was his best game in a while, I reckon Hamilton's improvement was more down to their changes though with Ogkmpoe and Johnson coming on. 

Actually did alright second half. Encouraging or a missed opportunity?

Johnson looks predictable but difficult to play against and you could imagine Moyo doing well with his crosses. He's also less reliant on getting help than Smith which is helpful considering Hodson wasn't offering anything going forward (but was decent at what he was asked to do). The midfield is the fear but I could at least see what they were trying to do offensively in the second half - Martin's brain is better than his ability. Ogkmpoe was more troublesome than Moyo even if he didn't offer a goalscoring threat, and Templeton, on a really bad day, still created more chances than anyone else this season.

Odoffin + Want is a really bad partnership (the former looked way, way worse at CB than RB) and you could see how bad they were on the ball compared to Fjortoft or Hamilton. They and Fulton's distribution was really sloppy and as I said about Martin, his ideas are better than his execution, so it just looked really bad when St Mirren completely sat off. The Mimnaugh sub made sense in that regard, but he didn't offer as much in the box as Callachan even with Martin kind of taking over that role. I wonder if we should've taken off Martin rather than Callachan at that stage of the game.

Ultimately, though, it's another defeat and another one against a team that were our rivals last season. Hopefully Livi and Motherwell can both do a Hearts.

Accies realistically have 6 or 7 games per season that are must wins, and that you feel we have a decent chance. Two of those have been in the last week and we've lost both.

Early doors and all that but with two very difficult games coming up next and realistically 5 defeats in a row it's already difficult to see how we're going to turn this season around.

Accies realistically have 6 or 7 games per season that are must wins, and that you feel we have a decent chance. Two of those have been in the last week and we've lost both.
Early doors and all that but with two very difficult games coming up next and realistically 5 defeats in a row it's already difficult to see how we're going to turn this season around.

I kind of agree with this but, to be fair, we didn't beat County or St Mirren last season in awful performances and they both look like they've improved. We've have 135 minutes of really worrying football (let's just ignore the Celtic game) and 45 minutes of OK football.

I suppose the difference between this season and last is that we've clearly got a worse squad.

Agreed, but I think we can put some of that down to the surface as he wasn't the only one guilty of that

Totally agree, I thought we struggled at times to judge the pace of the pitch and too often over hit passes.

Junior and Obika faded a bit in the second half as we struggled to get possession but all in a massive 3 points.

Looking forward to next week already!