FM21

ajwffc

18 hours ago, Connor1874 said:

How you finding it overall? Done a couple of attempts with PAOK in previous versions but really like the thought of Panathinaikos. I've got a Greek mate so follow the league a bit and Panathinaikos are rank these days. Remember them playing in the UCL groups often.

I have started the season okay spent all summer trimming the squad down to 25 players. Played 8 games and Olympiacos are battering everyone in sight including beating me 4-1.

I like to try and play at least one save in a league I have no idea about 17 was Israel 18 was Poland 19 was Czech Republic and last year I went outside of Europe and tried Mexico. 

Edited by Rbon

I saw someone else post that they’re finding it a bit easy this year and I have to agree. I’ve had QP promoted at the first time of asking each time on the way to the premiership and won a league and Europa league double with Arsenal in my first season of my Make Arsenal Great Again save. I’m also romping the league with Hibs at December in my first season.

For more of a challenge I’ve decided to go Kaiserslautern in Bundesliga 3 and see what happens.

I saw someone else post that they’re finding it a bit easy this year and I have to agree. I’ve had QP promoted at the first time of asking each time on the way to the premiership and won a league and Europa league double with Arsenal in my first season of my Make Arsenal Great Again save. I’m also romping the league with Hibs at December in my first season.

For more of a challenge I’ve decided to go Kaiserslautern in Bundesliga 3 and see what happens.
I would agree. I got Newcastle to 3rd in the Premiership in my first season, and I also won the FA Cup. And I am not always that good at FM. It does feel much easier than previous versions tbh

Fourth season in as Raith and I've had to say farewell to Yannick Toure after three seasons on loan as Newcastle refused to do business with me after saying I'd like to sign him permanently.

Spoiler

178902324_ToureStats.thumb.jpg.a88516347c91bbf3e51c2a3ff59f452b.jpg

Ended up signing his replacement from TNS on a PCA and he went on and put in the best personal performance I've seen on FM. No idea what happens when I play Celtic as I pump them every time but don't really beat any other team by more than two goals. Ended up following the cup win with a 1-0 defeat to St Mirren in the league as well.

Spoiler

513733082_RusikevsCeltic.thumb.jpg.c6c7dee8582ded876536f644a55b6303.jpg2005530714_RusikeStats23-24.thumb.jpg.964060f71a524f3963bde15012994362.jpg

I have to agree that this version is a bit easy.  In my QP save I cruised League Two and got to the Quarter Finals of both the Betfred Cup AND Scottish Cup.  This despite missing Liam Burt and Simon Murray to injury for much of the season.  Bob McHugh scored 34 goals lol. 

Going in to season two I have done a decent amount of transfer business.  Out went Cammy Bell, Michael Doyle, Grant Gillespie, and Michael McGinchey, in have come Andy Firth, Dean Cornelius, Aiden Connelly, and a Right Back TBD (so far the best options my scouts have found is Steven Whittaker).  

I found this in the last game as well, but I'm 13 seasons in now and full backs are rarer than hens teeth. Bayern just bought a 22 year old French guy who'd probably get a spot on the bench for Rangers for £40 million. It's fine if you're playing at a lower level but mid range to top end full backs seem to just disappear from the game when real life people retire.

On 11/01/2021 at 16:16, Gianfranco said:

I posted that earlier in the thread too. I find that this one is either piss easy, or rock solid. No middle ground. Read many say that they think this is the best FM in years, and I dunno. I'm honestly getting a little bored.

For a start, I find it slower and clunkier than recent years. I'm very much a pick up and play kind of guy and it feels like games take ****ing ages to play. I'm not a big fan of the new match layout either. I'm actually sitting playing FM20 as I type this.

No doubt, the FM21 match engine is a huge improvement on recent years, but I feel like they've sacrificed a fairly smooth and tidier UI in the process.

5 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I found this in the last game as well, but I'm 13 seasons in now and full backs are rarer than hens teeth. Bayern just bought a 22 year old French guy who'd probably get a spot on the bench for Rangers for £40 million. It's fine if you're playing at a lower level but mid range to top end full backs seem to just disappear from the game when real life people retire.

I noticed that in FM20 with wing backs. When I was a mid table team I was still playing with the wing backs I had when I had been promoted as there was no other options. A few years later, I ended up spending £88 million on a natural full back as he was my only option to upgrade. He was absolutely tremendous as it turns out but still.

Apologies for the double post...

Does anybody else grow this silly attachment to certain players they sign?

This is on FM20 but I think it’s more of a general thing rather than specific to one version. I bought a striker 8 years ago now and he has been fantastic plus being able to play in both striker roles I have comfortably. Now though, he is coming up to 30 and a world class player but at the start of the season I had 2 other strikers who are just as good, if not better, than him plus a few youngsters who are worthy of game time. I decided not to sell him as I feel like he deserves to play for us but now the season has started he isn’t really getting a look in. He is valued at £78 million or so and would be easy to sell but I just don’t feel good about doing it.

2 hours ago, PB1994 said:

This is on FM20 but I think it’s more of a general thing rather than specific to one version. I bought a striker 8 years ago now and he has been fantastic plus being able to play in both striker roles I have comfortably. Now though, he is coming up to 30 and a world class player but at the start of the season I had 2 other strikers who are just as good, if not better, than him plus a few youngsters who are worthy of game time. I decided not to sell him as I feel like he deserves to play for us but now the season has started he isn’t really getting a look in. He is valued at £78 million or so and would be easy to sell but I just don’t feel good about doing it.

Had that with Jarrod Bowen in FM2019.  He helped me get Sunderland promoted to the Prem, I immediately got the Lazio job and took him with me.  He was dynamite for three seasons (including getting bags of assists setting up a slow and aging Edinson Cavani as we won the Scudetto).  He was shuffled down the pack as I spent all my sweet Sandro Tonali money on other wingers but I couldn't bring myself to sell him

12 hours ago, PB1994 said:

No, I'm absolutely ruthless. When a first choice player hits 30 and I've got a wonderkid  who is just as good or almost as good, I punt the legend to PSG or similar for stupid money and replace with the wonderkid.

Like other I have said I find the match layout is not as good and smooth to use as last year. I've tried getting in to this one and I'm just enjoying it as much. 

Went back to FM20 where I have my longest save in years (helped by lockdown and furlough). For the 1st time ever I actually got Falkirk to challenge the OF and got 2 titles. Finally got a treble 7 or 8 years in and resigned to try something new in a different league. Have bounced around a bit - went to Granada for a bit then ended up at Freiburg and managed to keep them in Bundesliga 2 after a horrid year. I just find it hard to get into managing abroad so it was a failed attempt. 

Regretted leaving Falkirk though and once the Czech guy they hired got the sack I re-applied but they said they wanted to trying somebody with new ideas :(

Is he a team leader having been there so long? I normally try and keep folk like that around unless their "physical" stats have deteriorated. 

I grow attachments to all sorts of players and clubs though. I enjoy doing the Bundesliga so I've got a bit of a spot for Eintracht Frankfurt and Leverkusen as I've achieved great things with them. But I will never forget Mario Caballero, a right winger from Colombia that I signed for Watford. His stats didn't look anything great overall but he had good stats in the right places. He could score 20 goals a season from the right wing easy. That was on FM19 and I've never had a player like him since. 

In this save I've found adding leagues from Czechia and Croatia to be an absolute gold mine for getting these types of players in.

On this, I remember in FM12 that Joe McKee inexplicably had 20 for free kicks and would routinely score from 40 yards out. He also grew into one of the best players in my Thistle team who reached a couple of Champions League finals. Even when my coaches were rating him as a 1 star player for me, he got 40 odd starts a season. 

It’s a real shame that he’s turned out to be pretty shite in real life. 

Edited by oneteaminglasgow