Billy Connolly

4 hours ago, throbber said:

He is very popular in Scotland but there are plenty of people who criticise him for “abandoning his routes” after he got famous. I certainly can’t fathom why he’d not want to go back to welding on the shipyards upon discovering fame and fortune and think he owes every working class man woman and child in Scotland an apology for becoming successful. 

4 hours ago, The Moonster said:

If he's stopped touring he won't need any routes.

I think what he was trying to say was that he’d lost his way. 

I was a student in Edinburgh in the seventies and came across him and a band in a pub on the Royal Mile. Funny as.....

Much later in life he did a cycle tour revisiting places he had previously toured as a comedian. He contributed to some music for that series that was wonderful.

6 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I loved his comedic songs too. DIVORCE and the Welly song are obviously classics, but there's an old country and western style song that I've always loved, In an Old Seaside Town Far Away:

"Another hit from Big Bill Connolly, the man who put the c*nt into country and western"

IIRC that's on the original Secret Policeman's Ball LP

Having enjoyed his videos and records I saw him a few years ago at the Usher Hall and he creased me up. I'm glad I got to see him live just that one time.

15 hours ago, expatowner said:

I was a student in Edinburgh in the seventies and came across him and a band in a pub on the Royal Mile. Funny as.....

Much later in life he did a cycle tour revisiting places he had previously toured as a comedian. He contributed to some music for that series that was wonderful.

The band he was in was the Humblebums with Gerry Rafferty

The documentary on him Made In Scotland is good when h takes the piss out the road workers he said if that was anyone else they would have got a kick in but when they seen it was him they said "its just Billy" which he did say he gets away with a lot of stuff because its him.

Think they said after he passes away Glasgow Airport is being renamed after him

9 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

The band he was in was the Humblebums with Gerry Rafferty

The documentary on him Made In Scotland is good when h takes the piss out the road workers he said if that was anyone else they would have got a kick in but when they seen it was him they said "its just Billy" which he did say he gets away with a lot of stuff because its him.

Think they said after he passes away Glasgow Airport is being renamed after him

The Humblebums were brilliant.

Said it on the other thread, loved him when I was growing up and I have managed to see him twice. Crucifixion has to be one of the best stories ever.

First time was at the kings in Glasgow and we were 2 rows in front of Elaine c Smith. It was the funniest 2+ hours of my life. Just flew past.

Second time was at the secc and he was awful 20mins in and he had barely a laugh from the audience, he then said something ‘shocking’ and the audience say oh and he walked off 10 mins later. My uncle saw him week later in Stirling and said he was hilarious and on for ages. Guess he wasn’t feeling it the night we went.