Playoff Semi Final , 18th October 2020

I'm basing it solely on the fact they don't have Haaland. I thought the winner of their semi will be the qualifiers and I haven't changed my mind on that. Serbia are obviously a good team and we'll have to play to a high standard to have any chance. Hopefully I'm wrong but I can't see it happening.

Serbia was more than a one man team.

For example their subs included

Sergei savic - he is one of the best players in serie A and came on and scored twice
Adem ljalic - would walk into our team. Didnt even come on
Luka jovic - signed for madrid for £60m. Would start for us. Didnt even come on

Serbia have a very, very good pool of players to choose from. They will fucking annihilate us over there. The only chance we had was getting the game at Hampden with fans there to put some sort of pressure on the opposition.

I try my best not to be negative, but holy shitington watching our last few games would seriously put you off football.

We can’t win the ball against teams like Israel and allow one decent player to dictate play and get free runs at the defence. It’s embarrassing. But we’ve been like that for years.

I remember when I played youth football. The coaches took training just once a week, and it’d often be cancelled if Celtic were playing in Europe. There was no discussion about tactics, just running and a game of 7 v 7 at the end. You were just thrown in to games and told where to be on the pitch and that was about it. That is exactly what it feels like to watch Scotland right now. It’s as if they’re just being told “Right here is what we are playing, go and try and get a result” Sort of like it’s more in hope than with any sort of plan? I don’t know man, but it’s rather depressing when we have a few talented players in there.

Of course not. Its quite clear you're either struggling to grasp my point, or purposely trying to be as ridiculous as possible to try and miss it, but I have zero expectation of ever seeing Scotland reach the latter stages of a tournament never mind winning it.
My entire point is I don't see this Scotland side under Clarke doing anything other than getting rinsed a couple of times and then knocked out without laying a glove on the tournament, so I'm struggling to get excited about the prospect of qualifying for the Euros when that's what awaits.

We haven't qualified for a major tournament in over two decades, you don't want us qualifying for the next one and you're accusing me of being ridiculous? Really?

I honestly couldn't care if we get rinsed in every game. Getting beat 3 times at a major tournament is still far far less embarrassing than not qualifying for one in 22 years.

1 hour ago, bernardblack said:

I really don’t get this viewpoint on McGregor and it’s one that seems common throughout the tartan army.

Would you rather he lumped it into the channel for Dykes to chase after?

There's a difference between lumping it down the channel constantly and picking a forwards pass. 

The issue with McGregor and Robertson both on the left is that they slow the play right down every time, they give the opposition time to reset because of this and then there's no option for a forward pass that isn't going to be challenged immediately. 

He doesn't look up for a man in space in front of him, watch the last 5 games at least when he's played, when he gets the ball off of Robertson rather than turning to face and pass he shuffles sideways and gives it straight back to Robbo. 

It's infuriating and a waste of possession. 

I'm not gonna lie, I'll be a bit disappointed if the game that sends Scotland to a tournament for the first time in my lifetime will have no Scotland fans there while I watch it in my living room listening to Ian Crocker.

I thought McGregor was better than usual last night, but still catastrophically shite. There is nothing we need more than players who can perform short, simple, accurate passes to team-mates (preferably in the vague direction of the opponents' goal), but he is not that man. 

8 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I thought McGregor was better than usual last night, but still catastrophically shite. There is nothing we need more than players who can perform short, simple, accurate passes to team-mates (preferably in the vague direction of the opponents' goal), but he is not that man. 

100% this.

I thought a couple of seasons back that McGregor looked like a dynamic box to box midfielder who was also pretty good technically and who would be one of our best players for years to come, however he seems to have morphed into a poor version of Barry Ferguson recently who does nothing other than disrupt / slow down our tempo as he makes sideways and even more usually pointless back passes.

That being said, the whole team appear afraid to inject any pace into their game and seem to be content with playing a safe slow type game which really gets us nowhere.

Yes, we won and I'm thankful, but that level of performance is really not good enough at all !!!

13 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Other than the outstanding talent on show with Andy you’re spot on there.

54 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54471253

The The Rangers supporters must have had the votes flooding in for Jack.

I thought it was a bit suspicious.

Does that mean they are back supporting Scotland

now ?

2 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

100% this.

I thought a couple of seasons back that McGregor looked like a dynamic box to box midfielder who was also pretty good technically and who would be one of our best players for years to come, however he seems to have morphed into a poor version of Barry Ferguson recently who does nothing other than disrupt / slow down our tempo as he makes sideways and even more usually pointless back passes.

That being said, the whole team appear afraid to inject any pace into their game and seem to be content with playing a safe slow type game which really gets us nowhere.

Yes, we won and I'm thankful, but that level of performance is really not good enough at all !!!

Tom English is a Calum MacGregor fan

2 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Rather than put myself through the annoyance of a last minute defeat/penalty shootout disaster, I went to bed.

Imagine how delighted I was to wake up to find that both Scotland and Northern Ireland had won.

I'll maybe try this going to bed without waiting for the result tactic more often.

I think the BBC may have hit it on the head however: 

No waking up in the middle of the night dying to know the score ?

24 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

I'm not gonna lie, I'll be a bit disappointed if the game that sends Scotland to a tournament for the first time in my lifetime will have no Scotland fans there while I watch it in my living room listening to Ian Crocker.

Thankfully it'll be BBC and STV.

5 hours ago, Antiochas III said:

Glad to see McTominay improve at centre back.  Having Gallagher - who strolled it talking to him all game obviously worked.  All in all our defence was pretty solid.  

Our midfield needs to improve massively.  Embarrasing how bad they've been over the last 4 or 5 games especially as they're meant to be our good unit.  

Strikers were ok. Really like Dykes but if your midfield can't create for you or support, not gonna do much.  

That's how I saw it.  Israel just the latest to first touch, pass & move much better and quicker than us.  2nd choice Czechs did it, Cyprus did it, they all do it.  That's coaching at youth & club level.  We're slow & laboured by comparison, ended up long balls to bypass their midfield because we just couldn't play through it.  Not even sure if any midfielders from the regular picks would make that much difference, maybe 1 or 2, most are much of a much.   Only hope longer term these kids we've got with clubs in England & overseas learn how to play properly there.

Decent choice of defenders now right enough, but must be a difficult shift for the forwards feeding off next to nothing.  Half time the Sky presenter giving it "Steve Clarke has plenty of firepower to call on if need be" was the best part of the whole night.  Who's that exactly, Callum Paterson ?!  You'd need to get the ball to them first.....

1 hour ago, bernardblack said:

I really don’t get this viewpoint on McGregor and it’s one that seems common throughout the tartan army.

Would you rather he lumped it into the channel for Dykes to chase after?

I would rather he turned forwards and tried to create an attack instead of slowing down any potential to hit a team on the break. 

20 minutes ago, ewan14 said:

No waking up in the middle of the night dying to know the score ?

It was half time in extra time whenever I called it a night. By the time I got into bed I'd forgotten all about the games, tbqh.