Building a house

56 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I'm not normally into modern architecture, but those Huf Hauses are incredible.

A detached one of those surrounded by a Japanese style moss garden would look cool as f**k.  

Way out of my price range though, but I can always dream...

They are amazing, I just love how they look. The prices you see for them on resale are no where near the cost of them new, they increase in value and the average UK price for a Huf Haus is huge because they are largely concentrated in South East England and near London. The average price of a huf haus based on the 4 I can find values for in Scotland is under £500k. 

Edited by Inanimate Carbon Rod

It's good to read they've already done some houses in Scotland as we have a different building control system from England and the structural design needs to be carried out or signed off by an engineer registered with the Scottish scheme. Assuming the Huf Haus design is carried out by the suppliers it's unlikely they would be registered here and would need to work with a local engineer. Doesn't need to be a problem but some of the more fanciful projects on Grand Designs like building walls using hay bales probaby wouldn't be allowed here if calculations can't be done.

2 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

It's good to read they've already done some houses in Scotland as we have a different building control system from England and the structural design needs to be carried out or signed off by an engineer registered with the Scottish scheme. Assuming the Huf Haus design is carried out by the suppliers it's unlikely they would be registered here and would need to work with a local engineer. Doesn't need to be a problem but some of the more fanciful projects on Grand Designs like building walls using hay bales probaby wouldn't be allowed here if calculations can't be done.

Yeh they seem to have a network of people they use to get a round that, theres 2 i know of on the west of Scotland, 1 on rothesay and 1 in Helensburgh (which was built by a chap who was an architect himself and designed Glasgow Sheriff Court (not sure thats anything to boast about)). So im sure they will be signed off etc. Also been looking at weberhaus and dan wood. They all seem to be able to build up here no problem and prices seem reasonable. Im literally years off starting this but feel like i need to start researching it all now. 

On 29/09/2020 at 21:13, Sergeant Wilson said:

^^^failed the audition for Grand Designs.

From what we have seen on MM on here, he’s pretty much a dishevelled, broken version of McCloud. Along the lines of the before and after below...

31BA5893-84B7-4050-84A9-DCC9DE5096E8.jpeg

There's a Huf Haus near me. Lots of photos here:

https://www.wowhaus.co.uk/2017/02/15/huf-haus-for-sale-five-bedroom-property-in-west-linton-near-edinburgh-scotland/

This was built on a farm beside a Cala type estate, the farmland became a golf course (which went bust), and is now in planning to become a holiday park.

4 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

https://www.wowhaus.co.uk/2017/02/15/huf-haus-for-sale-five-bedroom-property-in-west-linton-near-edinburgh-scotland/

This was built on a farm beside a Cala type estate, the farmland became a golf course (which went bust), and is now in planning to become a holiday park.

I have no idea how that would comply with current Scottish Building Standards in relation to insulation values.

10 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Yes quite a big bit of land its on, i like the style of that one but its far bigger than we’d ever need. Think it sold for £680k. 

44 minutes ago, Shandön Par said:

My dream home would be one of those posh wee converted shopping containers. In a field with a nice view. Just me and the dog.

image.jpeg.22b4745cb050761d15cf0722748f42af.jpeg

Speak to Carbon Dynamic in Invergordon then. They do some crackers.

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

They have triple glazing and are some of the most energy efficient houses available. 

36mm low-emissivity triple glazing with argon gas filling and warm edge spacer will have a centre pane u-value of about 0.6W/m2k.  That’s about 20% of the u-value of external walls (traditional build or timber kit).  Given the ratio of glass to masonry required under the Building Standards I’m not sure how much more the floors, roof/ceilings and non-glass external walls would be required to compensate for the difference.

Edited by Granny Danger

13 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

36mm low-emissivity triple glazing with argon gas filling and warm edge spacer will have a centre pane u-value of about 0.6W/m2k.  That’s about 20% of the u-value of external walls (traditional build or timber kit).  Given the ratio of glass to masonry required under the Building Standards I’m not sure how much more the floors, roof/ceilings and non-glass external walls would be required to compensate for the difference.

^^^ great fun at dinner parties.