Serbia V Scotland - EURO 2020 Playoff Final ( Thursday 12th November)

greenockraver

1 hour ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Without realising it, you have actually proved my point.

Its the hipster thing to say "centre backs don't have to be tall" but in a practical sense. Its rubbish

Don't argue with me, go to your own team and look at your tall centre backs. Then write a letter to the club telling them their wrong. 

The thing is, I also do like having two taller than average centre halves.

Some of my favourite centre halves over the years for Dunfermline have been tall e.g. Andy Tod, Andrius Skerla and Scott Wilson. But the fact is that I'd rather have two guys who are capable of reading the game ahead of them, constantly aware, strong, can communicate well and have a great spring in their jump. Although a striker, Larsson had the better of many a defender because of his jump height, not physical height. 

Being tall is advantageous to a degree but if they're a fucking donkey like Grant Hanley or Matt Elliott what's the point? Give me a smart, strong and clever defender ahead of a big, brainless golum. 

As for your last two sentences, pipe the f**k down. 

4 minutes ago, the snudge said:

This thread should be about getting pumped up for the biggest Scotland game in years, instead we've got 2 roasters arguing over the height of defenders. Sit doon.

It's a match thread where folk are debating the potential team selection. What were you expecting?

Just now, Stellaboz said:

The thing is, I also do like having two taller than average centre halves.

Some of my favourite centre halves over the years for Dunfermline have been tall e.g. Andy Tod, Andrius Skerla and Scott Wilson. But the fact is that I'd rather have two guys who are capable of reading the game ahead of them, constantly aware, strong, can communicate well and have a great spring in their jump. Although a striker, Larsson had the better of many a defender because of his jump height, not physical height. 

Being tall is advantageous to a degree but if they're a fucking donkey like Grant Hanley or Matt Elliott what's the point? Give me a smart, strong and clever defender ahead of a big, brainless golum. 

As for your last two sentences, pipe the f**k down. 

So you agree with me completely, and you disagree with the other poster completely. Yet you don't realise 🤷‍♂️

So you agree with me completely, and you disagree with the other poster completely. Yet you don't realise 🤷‍♂️

It is only an advantage if you are playing a team
Who is hoofing the ball at head height. At the international level there are very few teams that do this. This also goes for the club level that most players who play for scotland play at.

Look at the likes of carlos puyol, cannavaro and franco baresi. They all coped with being under 6ft.

Can we please just put your silly opinion in the bin and get back to eternal optimism

Just now, Aufc said:

It is only an advantage if you are playing a team
Who is hoofing the ball at head height. At the international level there are very few teams that do this. This also goes for the club level that most players who play for scotland play at.

Look at the likes of carlos puyol, cannavaro and franco baresi. They all coped with being under 6ft.

Can we please just put your silly opinion in the bin and get back to eternal optimism

Again, there's not many examples 2 you mention have already been said.

If its not an advantage why do all international teams have tall centre backs. Do you think this is a coincidence?

3 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Again, there's not many examples 2 you mention have already been said.

If its not an advantage why do all international teams have tall centre backs. Do you think this is a coincidence?

Not many examples? Bloody hell!

They're only among the best centre backs of all time!

Shall we add 5'11 Franz Beckenbauer, 5'8 Daniel Passarella or 5'10 Bobby Moore?

Even the fcuking legendary David Narey was barely 6foot.

Just now, ArabFC said:

Not many examples? Bloody hell!

They're only among the best centre backs of all time!

Shall we add 5'11 Franz Beckenbauer, 5'8 Daniel Passarella or 5'10 Bobby Moore?

Even the fcuking legendary David Narey was barely 6foot.

So thats what 5/6? Tbh I could name many more good short centre backs than that myself. Still wouldn't make it a reasonable argument.

5 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

So thats what 5/6? Tbh I could name many more good short centre backs than that myself. Still wouldn't make it a reasonable argument.

Okay, this is growing tiresome so to try and move on let's summarise where we are:

You believe being big and strong is more of an important selection criteria than a players level of ability.

I appreciate that being big and strong is an advantage but I believe it is not the golden rule and a players ability also needs to be factored in.

Other people may believe height is not an advantage. I think we both disagree with that.

Is that accurate enough? If so, let's move on.

Edited by AJF

Aye not anymore though, the game has changed.  

Yes the game has changed to becoming more technical whereby it generally doesnt matter how tall you are.

Ok having a centre half who is tall may be an advantage at certain levels but it doesnt really matter at the highest level.