Feeling like an adult

3 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

I spent a year in my own place (rented) and it was terrific

This. I lived myself (it's always been with a bird otherwise) for 2 years and it was fuckin great. As much as I love my family now I'd love to have a week to myself and do what ever the f**k I wanted. 

5 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

This. I lived myself (it's always been with a bird otherwise) for 2 years and it was fuckin great. As much as I love my family now I'd love to have a week to myself and do what ever the f**k I wanted. 

I know what you mean. It was terrific even just keeping the place tidy and clean and not having someone else critique it, or just eating what I wanted when I wanted. Or just go for a walk without the hassle of any explanation. I just really enjoy being in my own company. The missus was going to the Netherlands for 10 days in November (including best part of two weekends) which has now been shit-canned because of Corona and I'm actually really sad that I won't get that time to myself. 

10 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

This idea that having kids these days is monumentally selfish and morally wrong, is somewhat bonkers.

Have to say that I think it's cover for being monumentally lazy and not wanting the hassle, an attitude that I heartily share. I don't claim it as a virtue though, there are no rights and wrongs about breeding choices. Somebody has to look after me in my dotage and we can't rely on outsourcing our breeding to poorer countries for ever.

Edited by welshbairn

14 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Have to say that I think it's cover for being monumentally lazy and not wanting the hassle, an attitude that I heartily share. I don't claim it as a virtue though, there are no rights and wrongs about breeding choices. Somebody has to look after me in my dotage and we can't rely on outsourcing our breeding to poorer countries for ever.

Indeed.

I'm not criticising anyone's breeding choices.  A couple of posters on here are though, and I find their logic unconvincing.

I will be moving out of the sober living home next month and into a new rented flat. I’ve lived alone before but previously struggled, possibly because it was always a previously shared space with a now late Mrs. RN.

I’m hoping that the fact this will effectively be a brand new start will be more successful this time.

I’m still not sure I feel like an adult soon and I’m over half way to 100!

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

It's not lazy not to want to have children. I thought at one point in my life that it would solve my problems, I thought it would fix a broken relationship... thankfully it didn't come to pass. I couldn't even look after myself at that point in my life, I wouldn't have been able to look after another.  

Now, I realize that I'm not obliged to by society despite what anyone says and I'm happy with that. Maybe my feelings will change, maybe not. 

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Indeed.

I'm not criticising anyone's breeding choices.  A couple of posters on here are though, and I find their logic unconvincing.

I'm happy with my stance on the matter. We're at a point in history where we're becoming over-populated and if things continue as they are, basic needs are going to start becoming in short supply. It's our duty to all future generations to reign it in. So yes, I feel that people making big families now a selfish and unreasonable choice. 

1 minute ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Totally agree with much that's written. I was in the supermarket couple of weeks back and a small child barged past me, the child's mother reprehended the child and told him to apologise to the man. I immediately looked around for the man she was referring to... emoji23.png

Was the child reprehensible?

I know you are!

43 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

An absolutely mental shout to say that not wanting kids is lazy, although I suspect it wasn't a serious post.

It's just as mental to say that having kids is selfish imo. My reasons for not having kids are more complicated but laziness definitely plays a part.

I've got a really puerile sense of humour and similar to above some kid made me laugh uncontrollably in the supermarket once because he kept trying to wind his mum up by shouting "ALAN ALAN ALAN"
from the dubbed gopher thing on bbc.
He noticed me laughing so I said it back.
His mum wasn't amused as if he'd now be doing it for ages.
Kept bumping into them as well.
Mummy mummy alan alan alan
Shut up, just shut up.
[emoji38]