The official President Biden thread.

Brother Blades

45 minutes ago, RuMoore said:

No, you've shat the bed trying to justify war crimes. 

But but but please can't we understand why Russia is killing civilians and then being unable to articulate why we should understand these actions is shitebag behaviour. 

You justified war crimes when you shat it at the voting booth, so I won't take any lectures from you.

1 hour ago, StellarHibee said:

Well it's a good thing the UK doesn't have a history of this. Or Unionists would come across as right c***s in Scotland.

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Like the UK did in Iraq you mean ?

It is possible to be critical of the UK’s unjustified invasion of Iraq and the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

It’s also totally consistent unlike condemning one but not the other.

There's no valid reasons for Russia invading. That's not the same as no reasons. Suggesting it's a solitary reason is also myopic, saying fear of NATO is as viable as the land grab. NATO isn't a club Russia can join.

A lot of armchair generals on here seem to think that continuing the war indefinitely, or escalating it in order to push the Russians back to pre-2014 borders, is preferable to an uneasy truce, with a view to re-establishing these borders through political means.

But that there's such existential danger by doing this is routinely ignored, the realpolitik is dismissed, and the sabre rattling continues

3 hours ago, RuMoore said:

Shat it. 

No I mean what Russia is doing in Ukraine, obviously. 

Your infantile post might have some merit if I supported the Iraq war which I didn't. You keep on playing whataboutery with war crimes though! 

Classy. 

But is it just whataboutery ?  Whether you or I supported the invasion of Iraq, and I'm sure we didn't, apart from the ensuing carnage Putin subsequently took advantage of the moral vacuum it created by letting the Russian military rip into Syria whilst the West impotently looked on.

Atrocity followed atrocity and Wagner took full advantage of the training opportunity.  Thus emboldened, I'm convinced Putin then had Ukraine firmly in his sights.

Little in this world happens in isolation, and equally little is as simple as it may initially appear.

On 08/07/2023 at 16:10, Zetterlund said:

Yup. Cluster munitions, which are universally recognised to cause long-term civilian casualties, are ok by us if it's the good guys who are using them. Even if it's the good guys who will continue to suffer for decades afterwards apparently.

It's a sign that things aren't going to plan in Ukraine. Neither side can afford to lose this, which is s horrific situation to be in when nuclear superpowers are involved. 

Anyone calling for de-escalation is being smeared and ridiculed too. What a world.

The US never signed up to the Landmine treaties that effectively outlawed Cluster munitions. The UK and other Euro-NATO nations did.

The rationale on the face of it is carrying over artillery stock levels while the West ramps up production of 155mm conventional shells. The Ukranians might also believe the area effect of Cluster munitions will help against entrenched positions (worth noting that Cluster Bombs were originally designed primarily as anti tank weapons, prior to stand off precision missiles like Hellfire and Brimstone)

Against peer opposition, any battle will have a massive attritional phase followed by collapse. NATO doctrine has always been to use overwhelming air power to degrade opponents ability to fight an attritional battle and shorten that phase and thus casualties. That's not an option for Ukraine, hence we will see something more akin to WW1 mechanised grinding warfare until they find a sector that they can crack...

• 2 months later...
6 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Not good news for Schumer or Biden.

US senator Robert Menendez and wife charged with bribery offenses

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/sep/22/robert-menendez-wife-bribery-charges

It astonishes me how thick powerful people like Senators can be. Has he not heard of offshore banking and safety deposit boxes? 

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It astonishes me how thick powerful people like Senators can be. Has he not heard of offshore banking and safety deposit boxes? 

Should anyone care to revisit Gorgeous George's triumph, it's there front and centre

2 minutes ago, sophia said:

Should anyone care to revisit Gorgeous George's triumph, it's there front and centre

I watched that back recently and I saw it differently. They were incredibly patient with his grandstanding, he wasn't even asked to be there, and he refused to answer any questions about the trail of cash allegedly leading to him. When I first watched it I thought he proper telt those Yanks, not so much now. 

22 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Not good news for Schumer or Biden.

US senator Robert Menendez and wife charged with bribery offenses

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/sep/22/robert-menendez-wife-bribery-charges

Actually, probably a good thing if it gets Menendez out this time, once he's out. If he's absent on these charges it's a potential issue, but it's more likely that Scott's absence on the Republican side would offset Menendez's absence. I wouldn't be surprised if Scott suggesting pairing with Menendez to allow him to campaign more.

If he resigns or is removed, a Democratic replacement would be named, and it is very unlikely the Republican's could win the seat in 2024 (partisan lean in NJ is +6D, with Democrats in all major State positions). He's in Class I, so he was up for reelection next year regardless.

• 2 weeks later...

Dark Brandon in full force, looks like malicious compliance on this Congressionally mandated “wall” construction. Appears to be a “portable wall”, about 16’ tall…still not ideal, but seems like they’ve found some workarounds. Unfortunately still blocks wildlife, etc…but, it’s a step.