Squad for the finals

Donathan

When is the U21 tournament in relation to this?  If we get there I would want a strong showing and not a few players missing as they were promoted to the bench of the full squad.  Get them used to tournament play as we will be attending them for years to come.

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

Marshall, Gordon, AN Other
Gallagher, Hanley, McKenna, O'Donnell, Palmer, Robertson, Tierney
Armstrong, Christie, Jack, McGinn, McGregor, McLean, McTominay, Shinnie
Burke, Dykes, Forrest, Fraser, McBurnie, Patterson

Cooper, Fleck and Taylor would be notable absentees. McLoughlin may not be 'best of the rest' between the sticks by next June. Not convinced Considine, Griffiths, Naismith or Shankland will do enough club-wise for selection given age/etc. Potentially if others injured.

Obviously the possibility of bringing up Gilmour from U21s.

That's 24. No chance Shinnie is picked ahead of Fleck, Hanley ahead of Cooper is also extremely unlikely and while it's true that there are questions over Griffiths and Shankland, it's highly unlikely they're at home while Paterson and especially Burke are in the squad.

1 hour ago, ropy said:

When is the U21 tournament in relation to this?  If we get there I would want a strong showing and not a few players missing as they were promoted to the bench of the full squad.  Get them used to tournament play as we will be attending them for years to come.

There is no one in the u21 side ready to step up anyway. Gilmour is never going to move ahead of McGregor, Armstrong, McLean and Fleck by the summer. 

The u21s lack depth at the same attacking positions as the senior team. 

I was never a massive Ryan Jack fan, nothing personal, always thought he was pretty average (although admittedly didn’t see too much of him) but in the last 3/4 matches for the country, he’s been outstanding, a really key part of the team, take him out and we’d definitely notice it. Even though Callum McGregor was also great last night, I’d say in his recent caps Jack has impressed me far more (McGregor an excellent player for Celtic, bit underwhelming for Scotland until yesterday). For anyone to try and claim that either didn’t have a brilliant performance last night is baffling, hopefully both stay fit and play in the Euros. 

2 hours ago, LinkinFighter said:

This. However, if Marshall was to get injured I'd call up shagger out of retirement. 

If Marshall gets injured, so long as he keeps up the form, Craig Gordon is a more than able replacement. 
No retired players - don’t care how good they are, Snoddy, Brown, McGregor, are coming back. I know Strachan welcomed Brown back with open arms last time, but Stevie Clarke seems the complete opposite, no chance he’s letting any previous call-offs come back. 

Edited by JagsCG

Up front is the biggest problem area I'd say.  Dykes is clear first choice now, but there's question marks over all the others.  

McBurnie isn't as bad as some make out but really doesn't fit our style of play.  Griffiths is towing a fleet of caravans.  Shankland has hit the ground standing in the top league.

Burke is a pudding.  Fletcher is a snake.

Naismith is probably our second best striker but its a brave man who sees him getting himself fit for long enough to play.

There's no much in reserve either  Watt, Nesbitt etc are total punts.

Just now, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Up front is the biggest problem area I'd say.  Dykes is clear first choice now, but there's question marks over all the others.  

McBurnie isn't as bad as some make out but really doesn't fit our style of play.  Griffiths is towing a fleet of caravans.  Shankland has hit the ground standing in the top league.

Burke is a pudding.  Fletcher is a snake.

Naismith is probably our second best striker but its a brave man who sees him getting himself fit for long enough to play.

There's no much in reserve either  Watt, Nesbitt etc are total punts.

If we could find a plug and play replacement for Dykes, we'd be laughing.

Surely there's got to be a big striker out there who can win headers and hold the ball up? I feel like I'm describing every single SPFL striker of the 21st Century

U21 group stages are at the end of March. Knockout rounds are seperate due to covid. They're end of May to early June.
Shouldn't have any effect.

Just now, G51 said:

Surely there's got to be a big striker out there who can win headers and hold the ball up? I feel like I'm describing every single SPFL striker of the 21st Century

I actually really like Fraser Hornby but can't see him getting much first team football between now and the summer

2 minutes ago, G51 said:

James Scott if he gets a run

7 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

I actually really like Fraser Hornby but can't see him getting much first team football between now and the summer

I like that as a dark horse candidate but like you say, he'd need a lot of games and a big improvement to be considered, and I can't see him getting the opportunity.

Hoping Hornsby is that man. Looks the part for the u21s but needs to break into the Reims side

My prediction is this it'll be a fair bit different from this.

Folk going basically with the squad from last night is natural, but that's not how this ever works out.

A few games ago folk were laughing at the idea of Lyndon Dykes starting. Now he's pretty much the first name on the teamsheet.

We've got another trio of competitive games next March. Plenty of time for some to play themselves into form and grab a chance.

With a squad of 25 this week compared to only 23 for the finals plus a few players missing this week it’s going to be hard to narrow it down

Goalkeepers (3):

David Marshall

Craig Gordon

Jon McLaughlin

Defenders (8):

Stephen O’Donnell

Liam Palmer

Andy Robertson

Kieran Tierney

Declan Gallagher

Andy Considine

Scott McKenna