Squad for the finals

Donathan

Greg Taylor will surely miss out unfortunately. But I consider that if Robertson gets injured then Tierney would be moved to LWB and another LCB brought into the side. And with only 20 outfield spots we can’t afford to carry a third string player who’s not versatile.

Greg Taylor will surely miss out unfortunately. But I consider that if Robertson gets injured then Tierney would be moved to LWB and another LCB brought into the side. And with only 20 outfield spots we can’t afford to carry a third string player who’s not versatile.
I think I'd probably prefer having Considine as a backup to Tierney in case he has to replace Robertson than Taylor replacing Robertson and keeping Tierney at LCB.

All players where they'd most likely play in a 352 but some for versatility

GK- Marshall McLoughlin Gordon

CB - Cooper Gallagher McKenna McTominay Tierney 

Rwb - O'Donnell Forrest (so so tempted to say Boyle but he's in shite form and seems committed to oz anyway)

Lwb - Robertson

Cm Jack McLean (could be fleck or Gilmour) McGregor McGinn Christie Armstrong

Cf - Fraser Griffiths 

ST - Dykes McBurnie Dunno (Nesbit/Shankland/Burke/Paterson)

5 hours ago, Donathan said:

With a squad of 25 this week compared to only 23 for the finals plus a few players missing this week it’s going to be hard to narrow it down

My first predictions

Goalkeepers (3):

David Marshall

Craig Gordon

Jon McLaughlin

Defenders (8):

Stephen O’Donnell

Liam Palmer

Andy Robertson

Kieran Tierney

Declan Gallagher

Andy Considine

Scott McKenna

Liam Cooper

Midfielders (7):

Ryan Jack

Callum McGregor

Kenny McLean

John Fleck

Stuart Armstrong

John McGinn

Scott McTominay

Forwards (5):

Ryan Fraser

Ryan Christie

Lyndon Dykes

Leigh Griffiths

Lawrence Shankland

Notable absentees:

Greg Taylor

Oli McBurnie

Callum Paterson

Oli Burke

James Forrest

There's not a chance Considine makes the squad.

Marshall, Gordon, AN Other
Gallagher, Hanley, McKenna, O'Donnell, Palmer, Robertson, Tierney
Armstrong, Christie, Jack, McGinn, McGregor, McLean, McTominay, Shinnie
Burke, Dykes, Forrest, Fraser, McBurnie, Patterson

Cooper, Fleck and Taylor would be notable absentees. McLoughlin may not be 'best of the rest' between the sticks by next June. Not convinced Considine, Griffiths, Naismith or Shankland will do enough club-wise for selection given age/etc. Potentially if others injured.

Obviously the possibility of bringing up Gilmour from U21s.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Cooper, Fleck and Taylor would be notable absentees. McLoughlin may not be 'best of the rest' between the sticks by next June. Not convinced Considine, Griffiths, Naismith or Shankland will do enough club-wise for selection given age/etc. Potentially if others injured.

Shinnie? You been on the absinthe?

4 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Good lord. We must have watched different games. Utterly invisible from start to finish.

There's no way I can say this without it sounding patronising or insulting and I really, really don't mean to be. But when you're watching football, are you just watching what's happening around the ball? Do you only notice what players do in possession? Obviously every player spends far more time without the ball than with it, and when you're away against a technically proficient team that's even more so.

Ryan Jack was excellent last night, his positioning was spot on at all times, he dovetailed with McGregor perfectly and they forced Serbia out wide where they didn't want to be and where they couldn't run at our central defence. Whenever he got the ball he moved it on simply and effectively, almost never being the point of breakdown. That spot in the starting 11 is firmly his now, with McLean as back-up. 

Going by their appearances I very much hope McBurnie and Paterson are no where near any Scotland squads ever again. 

McBurnie just typified why I don't want him playing for the national team last night. 

Slow jogged it the whole time he was on the pitch and the ball bounced off him any time it went near him. 

Absolute haddy. 

23 man squad is basically two XI’s plus a 3rd keeper

Marshall
McT-Gallagher-Tierney
SOD-McGregor-Jack-Robbo
McGinn
Fraser-Dykes

Gordon
McKenna-Palmer-Considine
Palmer-McLean-Fleck-Taylor
Armstrong
Christie-Griffiths
Palmer twice?

28 minutes ago, GordonS said:

There's no way I can say this without it sounding patronising or insulting and I really, really don't mean to be. But when you're watching football, are you just watching what's happening around the ball? Do you only notice what players do in possession? Obviously every player spends far more time without the ball than with it, and when you're away against a technically proficient team that's even more so.

Ryan Jack was excellent last night, his positioning was spot on at all times, he dovetailed with McGregor perfectly and they forced Serbia out wide where they didn't want to be and where they couldn't run at our central defence. Whenever he got the ball he moved it on simply and effectively, almost never being the point of breakdown. That spot in the starting 11 is firmly his now, with McLean as back-up. 

If you’re not getting on the end of crosses you are anonymous 

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

Shinnie no chance, and only choosing two strikers (one of which is Oli McBurnie), and who are both similar in the way they try to play/the role they fill, is a mental shout. 

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

McGregor and Jack were incredible last night, and Jack has been pretty much since he came in to the team. Wild that anyone would think otherwise.

Exactly.  Don't see any reason to break those two up if they're fit.

McGregor's a player I always found to be totally underwhelming in a Scotland jersey but he's been excellent recently.