Maradona dies

Richey Edwards

4 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

I think its hard for us to understand how important a figure the wee man in the psyche of Argentina, culturally, politically, spiritually, he is the biggest figure in the history of their country.  I have been doing some research and found a couple of videos I thought I'd share.

Here is some Argentinian artist called Manu Chao playing Maradona song he wrote about him, which it seems was a bit of a hit

Worth posting the lyrics

The lottery life

If I was Maradona
I'd live like him
If I was Maradona
In front of any goal
If I was Maradona
I'd never make a mistake
If I was Maradona
Lost someplace

Life is a lottery
Day and night
Life is a lottery
And up and up (x2)

If I was Maradona
I'd live like him
A thousand rockets... a thousand friends
And what may come at 1000%
If I was Maradona
I'd go on Mondovision
To scream at the FIFA
That they are the big thief

Life is a lottery
Day and night
Life is a lottery
And up and up

If I was Maradona
I'd live like him
Because the world is a ball
That has to be experienced to the fullest

If I was Maradona
Faced with any filth
I'd never make a mistake

If I was Maradona
And a game to win
If I was Maradona
Lost someplace

Nice one! I own a couple of albums by Manu Chao, he's actually French and has Spanish parents that fled Franco's dictatorship, he has spent a lot of time in South America working with numerous musicians there. 

A fitting tune for the wee legend. 

Edited by stevieKTID

Ohhhh I just remembered something there! This Ye Olde Youtube vid was probably the first real time (2007, christ) that I started to recognise why he was so highly rated. You can probably count the pixels on one hand tbf but the [edit: Santa Esmerelda, not Santana, whoooops!] track makes up for it, as does capping it off with a certain goal...

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

1 hour ago, stevieKTID said:

Nice one! I own a couple of albums by Manu Chao, he's actually French and has Spanish parents that fled Franco's dictatorship, he has spent a lot of time in South America working with numerous musicians there. 

A fitting tune for the wee legend. 

I'd never heard of him before, sounds pretty good.  Great wee song and the lyrics are perfect in summing up the sort of beauty and tragedy of his life.

26 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Ohhhh I just remembered something there! This Ye Olde Youtube vid was probably the first real time (2007, christ) that I started to recognise why he was so highly rated. You can probably count the pixels on one hand tbf but the [edit: Santa Esmerelda, not Santana, whoooops!] track makes up for it, as does capping it off with a certain goal...

I'm looking for one of my favourite ones from a while back called something like 'Maradona - you don't know how good he was' but there's so many to look through.

Just read this too https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55193282

On 04/12/2020 at 19:18, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

I'd never heard of him before, sounds pretty good.  Great wee song and the lyrics are perfect in summing up the sort of beauty and tragedy of his life.

I remember this one getting a lot of airplay around 2000...