Well v Saints 12/12/2020

I don't think we'll get the games back. But the fear that they might not have the points after all, is already eating away at the confidence of both Motherwell and Hamilton. Hope they don't decide on the appeal for months.

Great 3 points today for Saints. Better team 1st half although Well looked a lot more lively when Cole and Hastie came on. Saints never seem to go for a second goal which would have finished it but the restricted Well to a few chances and were dogged if not flamboyant 2nd half. Hope O' Hara's injury isn't serious

2 minutes ago, AllyM said:

I don't think we'll get the games back. But the fear that they might not have the points after all, is already eating away at the confidence of both Motherwell and Hamilton. Hope they don't decide on the appeal for months.

Hopefully at a point where we don't actually need them anymore.

6 minutes ago, AllyM said:

Absolutely love the idea that sitting with unearned points on the board might eat away at them. 

Delighted with the win. I think we sat too deep in the second half and invited too many chances, a better Motherwell side would have got something from that game. Erhahon was our best player by far in the second half, he was everywhere in midfield. McGrath was wasted playing so deep after a really good first half. The defence did very well, Shaughnessy in particular. Doyle-Hayes is a quality player.

Sorry to repeat myself but no idea why Erwin came on for Obika so early again, he provides zero threat and can barely even trap the ball. Again Durmus fell out of it when Obika went off after he'd had a great game. I would definitely bring Morias on or give Dennis another go ahead of Erwin.

Thought we were the better side in the first half but we were hanging on a bit in as the second half went on.

As soon as Obika went off we had no one to hold the ball up and take a bit of pressure off. Every ball that went forward came straight back. Goodwin made the same sub against Aberdeen and I don't think it worked then.

10 minutes ago, ZX1886 said:

Absolutely no fear factor from us going forward. Could play until 22:00 and would still not score.

Watt is never going to give us 15 goals a season, he’s the type of player you stick on with 15 minutes to go when in need of a goal.
Long completely uninterested.
Lang and Cole don’t look up to it either.

St Mirren didn’t have to do anything special and deserved the win. If the 6 points get taken off us then we’re in real trouble this season emoji85.png

For what it's worth I would keep Watt in the team as he's the only one up front who can hold a ball up. I reckon if you could put him up there alongside someone who could score goals we'd be alright. Our attacking options are unbearably blunt this season. I said it on the main Motherwell thread but we brought in a whole load of options but none of them actually score goals. 

12 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Terrible.

St. Mirren well worth it. Came out, got their goal, soaked it up full in the knowledge that'd be enough. 

Wonder if that's enough for Robinson to blow it up again. This system doesn't work with the bodies we've got, for all Hastie and Seedorf are or aren't, no chance you're telling me they're definintively worse than our other forward options at the moment, who currently look like three laddies who met in the car park before the game. 

Plenty of running about in the midfield, f**k all football. Don't care if Polworth has been aff it, you find the way to make him play, because he's the only footballer we've got in there. 

Polworth is the only member of our midfield with the ability to pick a forward pass. Maguire's *maybe* a decent squad player but I was genuinely shouting at my telly when he didn't even get a free kick past the edge of the D. 

I love Allan Campbell. I really, really do. But I wouldn't want to rely on him to create anything. When Polworth came on he at least made a few things happen. He had a ball in behind for Grimshaw that not one other person in the team would see never mind pick out. 

Hopefully O'Hara's not too injured because I'd sooner give him his centre back role and get Polworth in the team. 

1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

Absolutely love the idea that sitting with unearned points on the board might eat away at them. 

It would eat away at me  if it was us.

I was checking the news regularly at the end of November, knowing a decision was imminent, with the fear that we were going to lose them. Now we've  lost them and we don't actually need them at the moment (if Covid ended the season tomorrow), I'm enjoying the nagging element of doubt in the 'well and, particularly, Hamilton camps, however small..

7 minutes ago, Gareth_Glasgow said:

Delighted with the win. I think we sat too deep in the second half and invited too many chances, a better Motherwell side would have got something from that game. Erhahon was our best player by far in the second half, he was everywhere in midfield. McGrath was wasted playing so deep after a really good first half. The defence did very well, Shaughnessy in particular. Doyle-Hayes is a quality player.

Sorry to repeat myself but no idea why Erwin came on for Obika so early again, he provides zero threat and can barely even trap the ball. Again Durmus fell out of it when Obika went off after he'd had a great game. I would definitely bring Morias on or give Dennis another go ahead of Erwin.

I think Obika must have an issue to come off on the 60 min mark or earlier, two weeks running. Still recovering from Covid if he had it? Or a different injury? Surprised he doesn't go with Dennis though.

I think Obika must have an issue to come off on the 60 min mark or earlier, two weeks running. Still recovering from Covid if he had it? Or a different injury? Surprised he doesn't go with Dennis though.

He does a lot of work and running up there himself and he was tiring. I can see why he’s been taken off.
Priority in the window has to be to find another striker to help him as Dennis and Erwin aren’t up to it. Dread to think what would happen if Jon picked up an injury.

2 minutes ago, Lex said:

He does a lot of work and running up there himself and he was tiring. I can see why he’s been taken off.
Priority in the window has to be to find another striker to help him as Dennis and Erwin aren’t up to it. Dread to think what would happen if Jon picked up an injury.

I thought Dennis looked short of match sharpness in his appearances so far, I still think he has something to offer.

13 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Polworth is the only member of our midfield with the ability to pick a forward pass. Maguire's *maybe* a decent squad player but I was genuinely shouting at my telly when he didn't even get a free kick past the edge of the D. 

That free kick. Awful. I cannot even begin to explain how bad that was and is symptomatic of where we are at at the moment. 

Not sour grapes at all but I was not even that impressed with St Mirren. The goal came from a save that went straight to the St Mirren player despite there being 4 to 5 Well players in and around the box. That is misfortune. Twice as many shots on and off target and still cannot gain a point. 

I would have been happy to play the 2 games v Killie and St Mirren. Not now and hope the punishment stands because we would be in a hell of a mess with 6 less points. 

I have genuine fear for next week and if Rangers are in the mood. Hamilton’s 8-0 defeat will be under serious threat. 

I will not call for Robbo’s head as he has form for getting us back on track and December is usually a miserable time for us. No different this year it would seem. But we need to get past the Rangers game and turn up in the midweek game v Aberdeen. 

12 minutes ago, dezz said:

Div is wanking himself into a frenzy on twitter over this result. Peculiar.

Given the last couple weeks we've had off the pitch, I think that's totally understandable. 9 games undefeated now after another solid performance in which we rarely looked like giving up the points. 

Let's all frenzy.