Soup

2 hours ago, approximately dave said:

Wild Mushroom since its seasonal and more of a treat.

I like beetroots both pickled and not. I've never tried Borsch, I would like a few tries at making it. Supposed to be a good comfort food.

I use to make Borscht.  Very affordable.  6 gallons for £6.  6 pounds of beetroot, 3 pounds of onions, 2 pounds of carrots, 1 pound of spinach and a jar of marmite.  Blend the lot.

Serve with natural yoghurt or sour cream.

Use to freeze it too.   Around the same time, my father was keen on making blackcurrant puree and freezing it too.  We weren't very good at labelling anything that went in the freezer.  Only found out when we thawed it out.

1 minute ago, Fullerene said:

I use to make Borscht.  Very affordable.  6 gallons for £6.  6 pounds of beetroot, 3 pounds of onions, 2 pounds of carrots, 1 pound of spinach and a jar of marmite.  Blend the lot.

Serve with natural yoghurt or sour cream.

Use to freeze it too.   Around the same time, my father was keen on making blackcurrant puree and freezing it too.  We weren't very good at labelling anything that went in the freezer.  Only found out when we thawed it out.

I've never heard of it being made with including Marmite. I'm sure there's a Borsch connoisseur somewhere who will claim 'this is not Borsch'. Marmite is very strong and tastes overwhelming, so I take it 6 gallons is enough to subdue a full jar and allow you to taste the other ingredients?

Depending on preference, I would would assume that Bovril would do the job just as well ?

4 minutes ago, approximately dave said:

I've never heard of it being made with including Marmite. I'm sure there's a Borsch connoisseur somewhere who will claim 'this is not Borsch'. Marmite is very strong and tastes overwhelming, so I take it 6 gallons is enough to subdue a full jar and allow you to taste the other ingredients?

Depending on preference, I would would assume that Bovril would do the job just as well ?

Borscht connoisseur.  I like it.

26 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

I don't like the sound of a lump of cheddar in my soup, however my favourite soup is cheese based, broccoli and Stilton.

Creamy Broccoli Cheddar Soup - The Chunky Chef

One lump or two?

Added to chicken and broccoli.

Probably goes well with some garlic buttered toast.

2 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

But then it becomes a sauce? 

Yeah, a pan of macaroni pasta beckons, that would be yum.

Lines are blurred on what constitutes a soup, is it down to ingredients, viscosity or simply because someone decided that dish should be called a soup. Is a soup somewhere inbetween tea and a casserole or does it depend also on whether you eat it from a dinner plate or a bowl or a mug, with a fork, chopsticks or a spoon?

Marwood here has a bowl of coffee, yet to the eye of Withnail it's soup.

Homemade soup is the best.  Keep it simple:

Red lentils, carrots, onions, swede, leeks, green pepper, 4-5 cloves of garlic, mixed herbs (optional), add a vegetable stock.  
Throw it all in the Pressure King Pro.
Set soup mode.

Once cooked, take the PKP into the back garden and release all the steam there, rather than releasing all excess moisture into your kitchen.  Blend and enjoy.

One very important thing to note is, always make sure you listen to the right music when you’re making the soup.  That makes all the difference!

Or…

1 pack smoked bacon lardons

2l vegetable stock

250g lentils

2 leeks

4 carrots. 

Fry/brown the bacon, then add the hot stock, boil, add the lentils, cook for 20mins. While cooking, chop/slice the leek and carrots. Add to the pan, cook for 20mins more then blend. Universally praised round these parts. 

in other news, the remains of tonight’s roast chicken carcass is currently getting boiled down for stock. Open to any ideas beyond my usual chicken noodle if any PnBrs have a go-to recipe that can be shared….? 

1 minute ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Sorry didn't see your post and was remarking on soup in general.

I would do yours with sweet potato, ginger, carrots and cumin.

My one and only failure to date I’m afraid - carrot and cumin; universally critiqued as…., meh, not for me son…

4 hours ago, alta-pete said:

In other news, the remains of tonight’s roast chicken carcass is currently getting boiled down for stock. Open to any ideas beyond my usual chicken noodle if any PnBrs have a go-to recipe that can be shared….? 

If you have a wife called Nora she can use it to make Pea and Ham. 😀

17 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

A timely bump, as there is always a bit of an argument in our house over the soup for the traditional Christmas Eve meal, that I always lose. Beetroot v Wild Mushroom. 

f**k right off. It's lenti made with a proper ham hough at this time of year.