The Relegation Dogfight

The Relegation Dogfight  

320 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Rob1885 said:
7 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

Aye Queen if the South fans doing mad calculations to work out the doomsday scenario that could see them 9th while Ayr, Morton and Arbroath fans are actually sweating on potential relegation. Going to go to the wire this season for 9th place I’d have said Morton a couple of weeks ago but everyone is grinding out a point here and there, looks impossible to call. Will 9th have the strength to see off the playoffs? Hopefully whoever it is puts up more of a fight than we did in that embarrassing loss to Brechin.

Guess it depends on who they come up against. just about anybody could scrape in 4th in league 1 so you'd hope whoever's 9th would have enough about them to reach the final. Then, you'd be looking at probably one of Cove, Falkirk or Thistle. A tough yin to call.

How many teams have the team that finished 9th actually stayed up?  Cowdenbeath in 2014 is the only one that comes to my mind.  I would have said the team in 9th may have enough to get past the 4th placed league one team but they usually struggle against the team that finished 2nd/3rd in league one as they tend to have a bit of momentum and probably have a better mentality.  I certainly don't back Ayr to win the play-offs should we finish there, but then most of our team have been spineless all year. 

How many teams have the team that finished 9th actually stayed up?  Cowdenbeath in 2014 is the only one that comes to my mind.  I would have said the team in 9th may have enough to get past the 4th placed league one team but they usually struggle against the team that finished 2nd/3rd in league one as they tend to have a bit of momentum and probably have a better mentality.  I certainly don't back Ayr to win the play-offs should we finish there, but then most of our team have been spineless all year. 

Queens beat us in the playoffs the season before last when Nisbet left.

Guest Flash
1 hour ago, San Starko Rover said:

Aye Queen of the South fans doing mad calculations to work out the doomsday scenario that could see them 9th while Ayr, Morton and Arbroath fans are actually sweating on potential relegation. Going to go to the wire this season for 9th place I’d have said Morton a couple of weeks ago but everyone is grinding out a point here and there, looks impossible to call. Will 9th have the strength to see off the playoffs? Hopefully whoever it is puts up more of a fight than we did in that embarrassing loss to Brechin.

If they were in our position, I’m sure there would be Raith fans doing exactly the same thing. We are more than capable of losing the next three games. So, it makes sense to look at what the others would need in order to catch us. It probably is unlikely that three teams will get at least level on points with us but it is far from being impossible. Until it is, the mad calculations will continue.

Only real hope for the 9th place team is that the L1 title race could easily be between 3 teams on the final day and the two who lose out may be totally deflated, similar to Raith when Ayr beat them to the title a couple of years ago.  I'm absolutely certain had Raith scored late on to win it that day that we wouldn't have won the playoffs either.  

Can you not bring 2014 up please?

Guest Flash
10 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

image.png.050d1323065a45ffa9e5e43f6eb32450.png

Quite funny but it isn’t accurate.
Arbroath don’t specifically need to beat Ayr and draw with Morton. That would only give them 4 points anyway. They could beat Ayr and Dunfermline, then lose to Morton to get 6.
Morton wouldn’t need to go undefeated. They could lose to Hearts, then beat Alloa and Arbroath to get 6. Arbroath would also get 6 if they beat Ayr and Dunfermline. Or Morton could beat Hearts and Alloa then lose to Arbroath. If that happened, Arbroath would only need to draw with Ayr and Dunfermline.
Ayr would get the required 4 points by beating us and drawing with ICT if they lost to Arbroath. If they drew with Arbroath, the could lose to ICT if they beat us.
So, the middle 3 mental gymnastics aren’t right. The last one is spot on, though.

Just now, Flash said:

Arbroath don’t specifically need to beat Ayr and draw with Morton. That would only give them 4 points anyway. They could beat Ayr and Dunfermline, then lose to Morton to get 6.
Morton wouldn’t need to go undefeated. They could lose to Hearts, then beat Alloa and Arbroath to get 6. Arbroath would also get 6 if they beat Ayr and Dunfermline. Or Morton could beat Hearts and Alloa then lose to Arbroath. If that happened, Arbroath would only need to draw with Ayr and Dunfermline.
Ayr would get the required 4 points by beating us and drawing with ICT if they lost to Arbroath. If they drew with Arbroath, the could lose to ICT if they beat us.
So, the middle 3 mental gymnastics aren’t right. The last one is spot on, though.

Fair enough. That being said...

...it's not going to happen.

Guest Flash
8 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Fair enough. That being said...

...it's not going to happen.

It would help if you could ‘Mon the draw’ the games involving the other candidates.

2 hours ago, Hursty said:

Only real hope for the 9th place team is that the L1 title race could easily be between 3 teams on the final day and the two who lose out may be totally deflated, similar to Raith when Ayr beat them to the title a couple of years ago.  I'm absolutely certain had Raith scored late on to win it that day that we wouldn't have won the playoffs either.  

Given the L1 race looks likely to anoint either a staggering Falkirk or an on song Plastic Whistle as the winner, the ninth place team must be hoping Partick keep it rolling and catch Falkirk. While Cove might bother Falkirk in a playoff, I think Falkirk would prevail, but their weaknesses this year are more marked than last year, and the ninth place team could well see them off.

The sequence of games might also turn out to be crucial and I think that's what's still getting to the Queens fans.

Being worried about going  down might look a bit mental at this point... but will it look so daft if they lose to Dunfermline tomorrow?

Something similar could be said about Ayr; beat Arbroath tomorrow and they're more or less out of it; lose and they probably become favourites.

A lot might depend on whether Dunfermline are actually arsed about the promotion play-offs.

From a Morton point of view, kinda glad we get to sit back as the next step plays out... then get a free hit at Hearts on Tuesday. The more teams still in the mix on the last day, the better... unless of course one team is already gone, but I don't think that's going to happen.

Oh ffs

No idea why Queen's fans are getting windy. This isn't your fight guys, you're safe, especially as you have the guarantee of either a 0-0 draw or a win to nil at Ayr to help you over the line. Our home form has been brutal since we pumped Alloa 4-1 at the end of January, failing to score in 5 out of 7 games scoring a grand total of 2 goals in those 7. Ayr have 3 home league wins all season and only 1 in 10 home games since November.
Trust me, you'll be fine.

10 hours ago, stan3600 said:

First world problems.

Yes, fair enough - we're not staring down the barrel. 

Being concerned isn't irrational though.  I've been saying for a couple of weeks that staying put is likeliest, but involvement in either play-off was and is possible.  

I got slagged off on another thread for saying we were virtually safe and probably would be, even if we got no further points.  That was before we lost on Tuesday.  I still think that's the case, but there are several routes to see us into 9th.

If we lose tomorrow, there's a decent chance of this going to the last day for us, given that Ayr would be sure to get close the following week with a win.  Morton and Arbroath would just need 2 points from 6 over the next week or so, for us to be catchable at the death. 

Again, the likelihood is that these things won't all happen, but it wouldn't be a shock if they did.

No gymnastics are required to see scenarios unfold that put us in trouble.

Yes, fair enough - we're not staring down the barrel. 
Being concerned isn't irrational though.  I've been saying for a couple of weeks that staying put is likeliest, but involvement in either play-off was and is possible.  
I got slagged off on another thread for saying we were virtually safe and probably would be, even if we got no further points.  That was before we lost on Tuesday.  I still think that's the case, but there are several routes to see us into 9th.
If we lose tomorrow, there's a decent chance of this going to the last day for us, given that Ayr would be sure to get close the following week with a win.  Morton and Arbroath would just need 2 points from 6 over the next week or so, for us to be catchable at the death. 
Again, the likelihood is that these things won't all happen, but it wouldn't be a shock if they did.
No gymnastics are required to see scenarios unfold that put us in trouble.

🥱

Everyone still saying Queens have nothing to worry about, yeah?

If Ayr beat us next week, they only need one point more to get above us if we lose to Dundee.

If we lose both, Arbroath need only two draws to overtake us.  That leaves Morton needing five points out of nine.  

We're currently on a run of 4 points from the last 18 available.  We've plenty to worry about in the week we just gave our management team shiny new two year contracts.

Edited by Monkey Tennis