Same Old Alloa v The Caley

Just now, whereismillar said:

The free kick was well done though hard to defend .

I was meaning the Devine foul for the free kick. He let the ball bounce and then the attacker was goal side. School boy stuff.

It was a good free kick.

5 minutes ago, PB1994 said:
Just now, PB1994 said:

I was meaning the Devine foul for the free kick. He let the ball bounce and then the attacker was goal side. School boy stuff.

It was a good free kick.

Fair enough , i got the impression your defenders started to believe they could just run over the top of our "wee" players, as it seems they got away with a few others 

as far as i could see anyway .

3 minutes ago, whereismillar said:

Aye, I would go with that. Think they got a bit too ahead of themselves after the first half but Alloa came out and were much better and when you have Brad McKay and Devine in defence it’s a disaster waiting to happen.

That's a tremendous three points, especially given the key players missing. I accept we didn't create  much in the way of clear chances, but overall I thought we deserved it.

The attitude of the team was outstanding. No failures, but again I thought Stevie Hetherington was excellent, with Wee Kev, both fullbacks, Andy and big Parry not far behind. Special mention also for Innes Murray for his goal, assist (I thought it was him although BBC says O'Donnell)  and overall contribution.

Even if he didn't get the assist, I thought young Cameron grew into the game really well. Having the cool football brain of Robbo behind him must have given him confidence. 

35 minutes ago, Snafu said:

I'm staggered that it's taken this long for our bombscare defence to get found out.

Players don't need have an absolute blooper in order to weaken a team.  These two are frequent scatterbrains and just not very good footballers.  As soon as Duffy is fit, he's need to be put back into the side - he's just a better player at right back and possibly centrally as well.

Delighted with that win. Grant failing the fitness test was a blow but to then see that we were without Scougall and Trouten I had very low expectations here. Then lost what was apparently a pretty shite goal early on. But from after 20 mins on when my stream worked, we did really well. Passed it about nicely and very little threat from ICT. Only chance I can recall was MacGregor from distance. This Alloa team plays good stuff but lacks a cutting edge so it takes stuff like a beautiful set piece and a goalkeeping error to help us over the line, but based on the 70 minutes I saw we were the better side and deserved to win. Have to say that after being so impressed by ICT against QoS that they were a big disappointment here. Just didn't play at all. 

Difference in defence for Alloa from the early games with Parry and Graham back is huge, but Jamieson is really settling in nicely there too. Terrific outing for young Cammy O'Donnell too further up the field. Old faithful as good as ever. This kind of display with a number of key men out, and the prospect of adding to the attacking options next month, brings plenty of hope for the months ahead. 

I do wonder if John Robertson has fallen into the trap that many of our previous managers have fallen into the trap where he starts picking the same starting XI every week.  That line-up worked really well against QotS and Raith but has maybe started becoming too predictable again.  Even though we were excellent in Dumfries, Shane Sutherland was mostly a passenger that night - it might be time to start Doran instead.  We're usually a better side with Welsh in the team.  It'd be harsh dropping MacGregor or Allardice though.  In the past we've had to play the same XI every week because we didn't have a choice.  Can't really say that now.

Edited by Highland Capital

Missed the 1st half but sounds like Caley were certainly on top. 2nd half performance was really good from Alloa and looked really comfortable.

From 2nd half alone, I thought Cammy was excellent again, looks really confident on the ball for someone his age.

Cracker of a free kick and will certainly take another goalkeeping howler after last weeks gift. From what I watched, Caley really looked a lot weaker through the spine of their team than they have in the previous couple of years against us - I can’t say I rated Trafford very highly but he did always seem to put himself about quite a bit against us, has he been a big loss? For the 2nd week in a row I was surprised at the oppositions substitutions, with Linn being removed last week and Kennedy this week.

Good to see the team has taken a real bit of momentum from the Hearts cup game and look far more solid now than at the start of the season.

Also enjoyed Roachy on the comms, particularly the random ramblings of who he would (and wouldn’t) fancy a scrap against!

Trafford has been no loss at all. He was rubbish.

The Devine defending before the free kick was similar to Mckay in the Pars game on the opening day of the season. Ugh.

The stream might have let me down for the last 20 minutes or so but great to see the highlights up already. What a howler from Ridgers for the Alloa second. Some ball in from the right however. Absolutely perfect *chef's kiss*

On 19/12/2020 at 21:57, Highland Capital said:

I do wonder if John Robertson has fallen into the trap that many of our previous managers have fallen into the trap where he starts picking the same starting XI every week.  That line-up worked really well against QotS and Raith but has maybe started becoming too predictable again.  Even though we were excellent in Dumfries, Shane Sutherland was mostly a passenger that night - it might be time to start Doran instead.  We're usually a better side with Welsh in the team.  It'd be harsh dropping MacGregor or Allardice though.  In the past we've had to play the same XI every week because we didn't have a choice.  Can't really say that now.

He's a shit manager, end of story, he should get sacked before we fall any lower!!! 

As I've said before, he's the one that signed our worst player ever, Danny Devine!! 

I saw a post on Twitter which I totally agree with, it read "If that was Foran in the dugout, he'd get slated by media and fans" so why does the clown John Robertson get let off!? Alloa, Partick TWICE and Arbroath THREE times plus unacceptable results in league cup should have been enough for the sack. 

We need Paul Sheerin or Graham Alexander to turn our season around! 

14 hours ago, Caley Shaun said:
He's a shit manager, end of story, he should get sacked before we fall any lower!!! 

As I've said before, he's the one that signed our worst player ever, Danny Devine!! 

I saw a post on Twitter which I totally agree with, it read "If that was Foran in the dugout, he'd get slated by media and fans" so why does the clown John Robertson get let off!? Alloa, Partick TWICE and Arbroath THREE times plus unacceptable results in league cup should have been enough for the sack. 

We need Paul Sheerin or Graham Alexander to turn our season around! 

1. No he isn’t. He’s one of the better managers we’ve ever had and your constant tirades calling for his sacking after every defeat (as you’ve done for every manager we’ve ever employed multiple times a season) are incredibly tiresome.

2. I wasn’t happy to see Devine back and I’m still not entirely convinced by him but our worst player? He wouldn’t even make the bench if we came up with a Worst Ever XI.

3. Robertson does get criticised. I’ve criticised him myself earlier in this thread due to a lack of change in the starting XI. Criticism is fine - your attitude seems to be that any criticism merits a sacking. Robertson is not Foran - he’s a hundred times a better manager.

4. The League Cup - who cares?

5. Don’t know enough about Graham Alexander as a manager though I doubt he’d come to us. Paul Sheerin isn’t as good a manager as John Robertson and that’s just a fact.

Edited by Highland Capital