*** slayers v St Johnstone 19/12/20

St Mirren were awful in the McDiarmid game earlier in the season. They’ve obviously had a pretty significant upturn since then. Has it been just a case of getting different personnel back into the team?

As ever, we absolutely have to take our chances when they come along. So many games this season we’ve had a succession of half chances, and missed one or two glaring opportunities, then conceded the only decent chance we’ve given away the whole game.

Hopefully we get back to the front three of Wotherspoon/May/either Conway or MOH. Davidson and McCann central, the usual back five.

I think we should be careful here. After all, our rural cousins are just off the back of one of the greatest results in their history by making the the League Cup semi finals, a competition it should be noted which they have never won in the history of the tournament. In fact, the last time they were in the  final Steps were topping the chart with their hit "Tragedy" - a song title that could sum up their League Cup history.
In terms of the league; punching above their weight in the league, testament must go to their rookie manager for managing to get themselves into such a lofty position albeit that brief period of success has waned somewhat with them registering just one league win in their last 6 games. No doubt Davidson will be looking to halt the slump.
No, I think it would be naive to dismiss our tractor owning, tory voting, top league brethren as they are certainly capable of pulling off a shock win here.

Rik%20Mayall.jpeg

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I imagine we'll offer no threat from out wide, but that doesn't mean it'll be down to anything St Mirren do.

Congrats, 25 hours before kick-off is definitely the earliest any opposition fan has ever offered up the 'St. Mirren weren't any good, that was our worst performance in 40 years' line of explanation.

St Mirren were awful in the McDiarmid game earlier in the season. They’ve obviously had a pretty significant upturn since then. Has it been just a case of getting different personnel back into the team?
As ever, we absolutely have to take our chances when they come along. So many games this season we’ve had a succession of half chances, and missed one or two glaring opportunities, then conceded the only decent chance we’ve given away the whole game.
Hopefully we get back to the front three of Wotherspoon/May/either Conway or MOH. Davidson and McCann central, the usual back five.
Up until that point our defence looked really solid, apart from the game at Ibrox when Rangers tore us a new one. Shaughnessy was suspended so Jim tinkered with the set up and went for a back 3 of Fraser McCarthy Tait. It totally back fired. StJohnstone shredded us and it looked only a matter of time before yous scored. He changed it a couple of times throughout the game but we couldn't get near yous, McNamara in particular.

Looking up the page a bit at Coventry Saint's post, our squad was unfinished. Selling Magennis and signing Doyle-Hayes was a master stroke and he has added Erhahon into midfield which has upturned our performances then that has translated into results.

We are a pretty solid unit now, we have a settled line up. Durmus and Connolly on the wings are giving us real attacking threat which we have lacked, maybe down to not having 2 really good ball playing midfielders supplying them.

We are back to having a well organised, disciplined, hard working side which we were last season.

Now i have said all that the Saintees will have a field day [emoji23]. I am wary that your set up could be much more effective away from home with teams expected to attack yous.

37 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Congrats, 25 hours before kick-off is definitely the earliest any opposition fan has ever offered up the 'St. Mirren weren't any good, that was our worst performance in 40 years' line of explanation.

You'll see what he means on Saturday I imagine 😢

The particular "gameplan" since we last played has managed a pitiful return of only 3 goals in 7 home games against Premiership opposition.

Albeit the match is away from home where we've scored 8 goals in 5 games against Premiership level opposition since you were in Perth but 5 of those were against Accies in one game during a period where they took 8 from Rangers, 4 from Aberdeen and 3 from Hibs so I think scoring 5 against them says more about them defensively during that period than it does about Saints offensively.

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

4 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

You'll see what he means on Saturday I imagine 😢

The particular "gameplan" since we last played has managed a pitiful return of only 3 goals in 7 home games against Premiership opposition.

Albeit the match is away from home where we've scored 8 goals in 5 games against Premiership level opposition since you were in Perth but 5 of those were against Accies in one game during a period where they took 8 from Rangers, 4 from Aberdeen and 3 from Hibs so I think scoring 5 against them says more about them defensively during that period than it does about Saints offensively.

Just shows that stats can be deceiving. I thought Saintees were on a pretty strong run until the last two matches.

1 hour ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

St Mirren were awful in the McDiarmid game earlier in the season.

Yeah, I don't think any St Mirren fan would disagree with that. The annoying thing is that he changed the whole team setup specifically for that game when perhaps he didn't need to. We had Shaughnessy missing but it was a gamble that massively back fired and led on to a drop in confidence.

55 minutes ago, The Marly said:

Rik%20Mayall.jpeg

I mean, ok...

pH0QVgV.png

...but I can still count on your vote for best St Mirren poster though, right?

Strange going into a game against St Mirren fearing the worst but here we are. Momentum very much in Paisley and couldn’t fail to be impressed by them the other night. Can only hope complacency sets in for them and we finally “click”. Playing a proper starting eleven will help with that hopefully.

35 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Strange going into a game against St Mirren fearing the worst but here we are. Momentum very much in Paisley and couldn’t fail to be impressed by them the other night. Can only hope complacency sets in for them and we finally “click”. Playing a proper starting eleven will help with that hopefully.

Which is why we'll likely get humped.

I think we've come too far for us to allow the pundits to be talking about a cup hangover at 1700h today.

I'm expecting the farmers to park the tractor and look to come away with a point.  

There seems to be a bit of momentum building, the Irish lads are doing the business, and for the first time in years i can't see us not scoring.  

Saints win 2-0.  JDH and the Goal Machine

41 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

St Johnstone and their 5-4-1 formation will make it difficult. Hopefully now we are in a decent run we’ll be imaginative in our play to break them down. Durmus back in for Mason and let Connolly run freely and wildly wherever he wishes to run.

38 minutes ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

I think we've come too far for us to allow the pundits to be talking about a cup hangover at 1700h today.

I'm expecting the farmers to park the tractor and look to come away with a point.  

There seems to be a bit of momentum building, the Irish lads are doing the business, and for the first time in years i can't see us not scoring.  

Saints win 2-0.  JDH and the Goal Machine

Are these those shite attempts at fishing people think are bants on the forum or do folk genuinely believe this is how St. Johnstone play? Particularly after watching the game last time ST. Mirren didn't come out their own half... 

As we've never done either all season. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

Exactly. We haven't sat in for a point against anyone this season, so the suggestion that we'd do it against a bottom six club is a bit mental.  With our inability to not concede, I'd have the major fear if we were set up to sit in.

Quite an intriguing game, with st Mirren fans obviously buzzing after a great result on Wednesday night, and seeing their team on an unbeaten run that has taken them upto what is probably the highest they've been in the top league half way through a season in a decade. 

The wide right player - Connelly? - looked very dangerous, but I'd be hoping Scott Tanser is able to play him much better than that diddy that rangers had at left back for the first 70 minutes or so.

Really pleased we don't have to go through the usual frustrations of a home match, think this actually might be a good game, very hard to call.

Head says 1-1, but I'm going to say with st mirrens new found confidence they come at us a bit and we find a clinical streak for once on the counter. 3-1 Saints with May and Spoony notching and Hendry a late clincher after coming off the bench.