St Mirren v The Rangers 2012 30/12/20

3 hours ago, FTOF said:

Defeat by a couple of goals is the most likely outcome, but a draw would be a welcome surprise..

As predicted.

Pretty routine victory for the Blue bigots. Saw out the game, without being under real pressure.

Thought we played well overall, but didn't ask enough questions of their defence.

JDH our MOTM by a country mile.

FT 0-2

Frustrating stuff indeed, second half bit of a non event. Both sides had half chances and we played pretty well but couldn’t find that goal to get us back into the game.

If you’re going to get anything against a team with a budget as higher than ours as theirs is, you need a bit of luck and not to make any daft mistakes. We didn’t get any luck for the first goal and we made a daft mistake for the second goal, and that’s the game.

Shaughnessy has a been a big part of our defences improvement this season. He’s had several very good performances in games where we have kept clean sheets. However, he does have a mistake in him and they’re coming too regularly. Not saying he should be dropped but Foley can play there as can both our full backs. Needs to cut it out or he will be out the team.

As I said before the game, 2020 has been a good year for us, on the park at least. When you think where we were last January compared to now the improvement has been clear and sustained. And it is reflected in our league position and semi final spot.

Pretty big game at Rugby Park on Saturday. Get a win there and we can really start looking up the table.

Back to the Rangers of September - November there. Once we went two goals up, we just suffocated the game. Interesting to see us revert back to the "European style" in the second half, where we just forced St Mirren to put it wide the whole time.

Joe Aribo is such a great player to watch. Kamara, Morelos, Roofe and the two CB's also good today.

Worth the win.

On 26/12/2020 at 19:03, Wilbur said:

Celtic fans desperately hoping lightning strikes twice. 

Me too.

Nae luck.

On 26/12/2020 at 17:15, AJF said:

Aye, I’m very wary about this fixture.

We need a massively improved performance to counter St Mirren compared to the cup game or we risk leaving disappointed again.

I’d love to have Ryan Jack back for it but reading Gerrard’s comments it doesn’t appear likely he will feature.

Good result from a very solid performance.

Well done.

People Status: You are The

A relatively solid defensive performance seen the 2nd half fizzle out into nothing really.

Aribo and Kamara combining to retain possession so often was pleasing and Morelos showing how well suited he is in dropping deep to create some space and buy us a few seconds on the ball.

St Mirren again were stubborn opponents and I’m glad to see the back of this fixture.

Next three games:

Killie away
Motherwell home
St Johnstone away

Season definers there, expect the appeal will be decided one way or another early Jan too. We should know after the St Johnstone game whether it’s going to be another relegation battle or the relative bliss of mid table obscurity.

2 minutes ago, G51 said:

I hope that game was refereed to St Mirren's satisfaction.

Spot on. No complaints from me about the scoreline or refereeing. 

1st goal was a lucky break,  the 2nd an uncharacteristic mistake from us.

On to Rugby Park.

1 minute ago, Lex said:

Next three games:

Killie away
Motherwell home
St Johnstone away

Season definers there, expect the appeal will be decided one way or another early Jan too. We should know after the St Johnstone game whether it’s going to be another relegation battle or the relative bliss of mid table obscurity.

For what it’s worth, I’d be very surprised if St Mirren aren’t comfortable in mid table come the end of the season.