Raith v Queens

Just now, Scary Bear said:

I gave up on 82 minutes and turned off. I see we conceded another one. That was fucking rotten. Anytime I feel confident enough to back us with money I come to grief. Why? 

Likewise, I only have a punt about once a year when I think the bookies are surely beaten...

bets.JPG.ec0b09da82b702a181fa0c0ef2805145.JPG

That was absolutely pathetic. It doesn't change anything in terms of this manager or this team, and what they can achieve, but it should be firmly nailed to the wall as the nadir. 

Someone mentioned earlier that if it was any other team than Rovers, Queens would have lost. I'd flip that. If it was any other team than Queens, the Rovers still would've lost. They beat themselves tonight. 

That might sound disrespectful to Queens, but setting aside the fact that they are objectively an absolute gang, they fielded a 16 year old goalkeeper tonight and he only had to make one save. Queens could've played George Galloway in goal and they'd still have won 2-1. Did Obileye have a great game? Not really, he won his headers, he was probably the man of the match, but he wasn't exactly strolling around like Maldini. Gregor Buchanan barely featured. Wullie Gibson was more involved going forward than he was defending. 

Queens will go out and ship another four or five within their next couple of games. And I promise I'm not just slamming Queen of the South, they're just clearly not a very good team at this level. That happens sometimes. But what also happens is that a team and a manager go out with a mentality and a strategy that is so utterly below what is required that they embarrass themselves. That's what happened tonight. 

Not a single Rovers player comes close to getting passmark. Did any of them achieve what they set out to do? If that was "don't just kick the ball out the park under no pressure" you can strike five from the list immediately. We had three strikers on the park at the end. None of them manager a shot at goal. Duku played 90 minutes and only managed about three touches facing goal! At best, the defence looked like strangers. At worst, they looked drunkenly disoriented, swinging wildly between committing bad fouls and failing to put in basic challenges. Musonda probably the least culpable for that, but also offered no support getting forward. Hendry and Matthews at the base of midfield looked bereft of ideas from the second minute onwards. The short passes into the attacking three, that should be the trademark of this team, never materialised. And as for those three? The greatest culprits of all tonight. Tait, Ross and Armstrong managed to have a sum total of zero influence on the match. Neither part of the midfield or part of the attack, they allowed themselves to be bypassed and waited for someone else to rescue them. Abysmal. 

As bad as that was tonight, it does feel like an aberration rather than a new normal. It feels like the result of a perfect storm of negative factors. The galling thing is that it's come when that almost shouldn't have mattered. Against a team so lacking in numbers, quality, form, confidence and goalkeepers as Queen of the South, you can afford to have a bad attitude or a bad strategy. You can have a midfield that has an off day. Or a defence, or an attack. You cannot afford for all of these things to happen. 

Don't recall a single error from him leading to a chance for Queens? Terrible performance overall but get a grip.

He went from marking Pybus to running away from him to allow him a free header, and he failed to clear the ball twice in the first half which led to an Obileye header over the bar.

Rovers were terrible pretty much to a man tonight, but your, “Mendy didn’t do anything wrong” take is a really weird hill to die on.

Fair play to queen's tonight. Got the goal while on top and sat in and... Had to do f**k all to defend the lead. We were brutal. Front to back, it was an awful performance.

In fairness to the young guy in goals, he made a good reaction stop. He was otherwise untested.

He was left with on his own after bee's error. Incidentally, how did Bene do for the first goal? He must make 4 or 5 fundamental errors every game.

He went from marking Pybus to running away from him to allow him a free header, and he failed to clear the ball twice in the first half which led to an Obileye header over the bar.

Rovers were terrible pretty much to a man tonight, but your, “Mendy didn’t do anything wrong” take is a really weird hill to die on.

10 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

That was absolutely pathetic. It doesn't change anything in terms of this manager or this team, and what they can achieve, but it should be firmly nailed to the wall as the nadir. 

Someone mentioned earlier that if it was any other team than Rovers, Queens would have lost. I'd flip that. If it was any other team than Queens, the Rovers still would've lost. They beat themselves tonight. 

That might sound disrespectful to Queens, but setting aside the fact that they are objectively an absolute gang, they fielded a 16 year old goalkeeper tonight and he only had to make one save. Queens could've played George Galloway in goal and they'd still have won 2-1. Did Obileye have a great game? Not really, he won his headers, he was probably the man of the match, but he wasn't exactly strolling around like Maldini. Gregor Buchanan barely featured. Wullie Gibson was more involved going forward than he was defending. 

Queens will go out and ship another four or five within their next couple of games. And I promise I'm not just slamming Queen of the South, they're just clearly not a very good team at this level. That happens sometimes. But what also happens is that a team and a manager go out with a mentality and a strategy that is so utterly below what is required that they embarrass themselves. That's what happened tonight. 

Not a single Rovers player comes close to getting passmark. Did any of them achieve what they set out to do? If that was "don't just kick the ball out the park under no pressure" you can strike five from the list immediately. We had three strikers on the park at the end. None of them manager a shot at goal. Duku played 90 minutes and only managed about three touches facing goal! At best, the defence looked like strangers. At worst, they looked drunkenly disoriented, swinging wildly between committing bad fouls and failing to put in basic challenges. Musonda probably the least culpable for that, but also offered no support getting forward. Hendry and Matthews at the base of midfield looked bereft of ideas from the second minute onwards. The short passes into the attacking three, that should be the trademark of this team, never materialised. And as for those three? The greatest culprits of all tonight. Tait, Ross and Armstrong managed to have a sum total of zero influence on the match. Neither part of the midfield or part of the attack, they allowed themselves to be bypassed and waited for someone else to rescue them. Abysmal. 

As bad as that was tonight, it does feel like an aberration rather than a new normal. It feels like the result of a perfect storm of negative factors. The galling thing is that it's come when that almost shouldn't have mattered. Against a team so lacking in numbers, quality, form, confidence and goalkeepers as Queen of the South, you can afford to have a bad attitude or a bad strategy. You can have a midfield that has an off day. Or a defence, or an attack. You cannot afford for all of these things to happen. 

200.gif

Shocked at that.
Since the opening day of the 19/20 season, we’ve played 22 away games in all competitions and that was the 3rd clean sheet. The other 2 were at Firhill last season.

It was me who made that comment but it isn't what I said. I agreed with your second point. If Raith were playing any other side tonight they would have been beaten long before we scored our second goal. It was lucky for them that we are as poor as we are or that could have been a far worse scoreline.

Guest TOPFITTER
15 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Mendy MOTM? Much as I enjoyed him croaking some Queens player and winning a couple of towering headers, I didn’t see a man of the match performance. Was it just that everyone else was so god awful?

The commentators were creaming themselves over him, says it all about the game !!!