Tommy Wrong

6 hours ago, ancientnoise said:

I have it from a good source * that Tommy got waylaid by lockdown on his way home, yet has used the time to become the unquestionable dictator of the Isle of Man. If correct, Tommy is actively putting plans in place to erect a new Chancellery, carved from local stone in the shape of the Scottish Cup. Talks of mobilising an army have also been mooted.

Both NI and Scotland would be foolish to ignore this threat.

* not verified yet

Perth declares Independence from Scotland to become his Vassal.

I like how he's always seen as the messiah compared to someone like John Hughes, who won as many trophies as him, got to more finals, and finished higher in the league. On, presumably, a smaller budget at The Caley. 

20 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I like how he's always seen as the messiah compared to someone like John Hughes, who won as many trophies as him, got to more finals, and finished higher in the league. On, presumably, a smaller budget at The Caley. 

Presumably because he done it consistently over 7 seasons, and successfully rebuilt the side, while John Hughes imploded ICT from within and left the squad a complete mess.

Mentioned this in our general thread but Eric Nicholson's "how very dare Motherwell not give Tommy Wright the job. Who do they think they are?" piece in The Courier is a totally normal one.

It’s very hard to escape the conclusion that Wright is suffering from familiarity, lazy assumptions and the fact that he doesn’t have a trendy beard, fade-shade haircut or doesn’t stand on the touchline like a disciple of Pep Guardiola with skinny trousers and a slim-fit jumper, rather than a club suit and an Alex Ferguson coat.

Unfounded perception has been allowed to overtake hard-earned reality.

Not a new phenomenon in football but depressing nonetheless.

It's only hard to escape that conclusion if you've decided that's the reason that Wright was overlooked. There are plenty of completely rational reasons why someone like Alexander might be viewed as a better fit for the Motherwell job than Wright - and none of them involve the way he dresses or the fact he has a beard.

Equally this idea that "In short, Wright would have been a cast-iron guarantee of Motherwell staying in the division and more than likely reaching the top six." is a completely unanswerable question because the only club he's managed in this division is St Johnstone. He has no track record to suggest how he'd do at another Premiership club.

There's a high probability he'd keep Motherwell in the division...but cast-iron guarantee? Nope.

Edited by capt_oats

Motherwell fans spending time pointing out why they shouldn’t have appointed TW is almost as dull as our fans wailing about how unfair it is he never got the job. Almost. Hopefully both sides learn lessons ahead of the Kilmarnock job being available in a couple of weeks.

13 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Yeah I wasn't saying it with (much) snideyness. I genuinely don't see a great fit. Killie might be it. Close to Ireland and at the right level

Don't know his family set up but you would think there is a window of opportunity to get a job in England at lower Championship/L1 but it won't last long.

I don't see why that would be a plus for Tommy, tbqh.

22 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Motherwell fans spending time pointing out why they shouldn’t have appointed TW is almost as dull as our fans wailing about how unfair it is he never got the job. Almost. Hopefully both sides learn lessons ahead of the Kilmarnock job being available in a couple of weeks.

Really? Most 'well fans I know both online and off had TW as their first choice or at worst 2nd behind Alexander.

It was a toss-up between Wright and Alexander for me and I think a lot of Motherwell fans were the same so we're not really pointing out why TW shouldn't have been appointed, more reacting to the suggestions that we've been prejudiced against him in some way. The assertion that he would have been a guaranteed success is a bit of a leap as well.

Fair comments. My point was more our fans seeming to treat as some kind of personal affront when he’s not given a job and then in this case Motherwell fans justifying why they’ve instead appointed Alexander. I don’t think there’s any prejudice and frankly don’t really care. He was great manager for us but he’s gone now. Move on. I might take him back right enough if things continue as they are.......

Don't think any 'Well fans have suggested we shouldn't have appointed Wright. I would have been equally happy with either Wright or Alexander for different reasons. One of my mates has been moaning since we appointed Alexander as he would have much preferred Wright.

As has been said, there seems to be a suggestion that we prejudiced against Wright in some way which simply isn't true. There also seems to be a few St Johnstone fans (mainly on twitter) who seem outraged that we haven't appointed Wright. I can see Killie punting their manager shortly and I certainly won't be getting myself worked up if they don't appoint Stephen Robinson, for example.

I imagine Eric will be delighted with the response to his piece. All those clicks. 

I think he's started off with a fair enough suggestion but has ended up getting a bit carried away. Making the case why Motherwell should have appointed TW is one thing but saying they actively discriminated against him as another. 

I think the Alan Curbishley comparison is fair. A lot of clubs try to be much smarter than they need to be when appointing a manager (e.g. Angelo Alessio) but are seduced by the lure of the unknown, when actually they should be seeking out the opposite. 

Curbishley did well at West Ham too but took the huff when players were sold and hasn't worked again. You then look at Tommy Wright speaking his mind and it doesn't matter who you are if you are in the firing line. A lot of chairman or CEOs certainly wouldn't like to be spoken about in the way he referred to Steve Brown at times. Kirsten Robertson certainly didn't it appears.

His reluctance to self-promote (yes, Saints fans probably do it enough for him) maybe doesn't help. You'd think, if he was prepared, some of these jobs in League Two or League One in England would surely see him as the best candidate. 

On balance, I'd probably like him to do well somewhere else to show how good a manager he is but really, as long as he doesn't damage his legacy at Saints, what he does leaves me neither up nor down.