P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

7 hours ago, Caro-Kann said:

Hehe, I didn't know this thread existed until I saw the notification from your above post.

Don't think I ever had a chess.com account, used to play quite a lot of over the board chess at the time I created the P&B account hence my username.

Thanks. If you ever want to take it up again then the invitation to join will still be there.

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/09/2023 at 23:37, Aim Here said:

That means that there's a playoff between  beef2711 / @Ziggy Sobotka and ArabJoe/ @arab_joe for the right to stay in the top flight next season (league reconstruction permitting).

Beef2711 wins.

I clawed myself back from a very poor start to the point where I was level on points going into the end game - but in the end was well beaten!  Well played. 

Season 9

Right, it's about time I got Season 9 in motion. Currently there's twenty signups so about 2 leagues of ten seems about right. If we slot the new signups into Division B, we have

Division A

DearyMe
ancientnoise
AimHere
pleslie999
RBWatson
stewartmathers
AlbinoRov
beef2711
The_kid1433
Arabjoe (The league reconstruction gives him a reprieve, but last minute signups might drop him back down!)

Division B

PnbMathematics
KenDeans
Basedgodsa1nt
XCTR94
markf268
mackieboz
N5_Spur
redVtop
@Nutz_the_Squirrel (I'll need your chess.com username if you're still signing up)
Dustysghost

There's still time for more signups - there are five people from last season who haven't said whether they're signing up - @Curmudgeon @Ziggy @Frank Grimes @Leicesterlichtie and IncomingExile (whose username seems to have vanished into the ether), and anyone new to the Chess League or returning from seasons prior to season 8 are absolutely welcome.

Pending any new signups or other last minute changes, I'll generate the fixtures and start the league up in the next few days.

1 hour ago, Aim Here said:

Season 9

Right, it's about time I got Season 9 in motion. Currently there's twenty signups so about 2 leagues of ten seems about right. If we slot the new signups into Division B, we have

Division A

DearyMe
ancientnoise
AimHere
pleslie999
RBWatson
stewartmathers
AlbinoRov
beef2711
The_kid1433
Arabjoe (The league reconstruction gives him a reprieve, but last minute signups might drop him back down!)

Division B

PnbMathematics
KenDeans
Basedgodsa1nt
XCTR94
markf268
mackieboz
N5_Spur
redVtop
@Nutz_the_Squirrel (I'll need your chess.com username if you're still signing up)
Dustysghost

There's still time for more signups - there are five people from last season who haven't said whether they're signing up - @Curmudgeon @Ziggy @Frank Grimes @Leicesterlichtie and IncomingExile (whose username seems to have vanished into the ether), and anyone new to the Chess League or returning from seasons prior to season 8 are absolutely welcome.

Pending any new signups or other last minute changes, I'll generate the fixtures and start the league up in the next few days.

I'm in. Thanks again.

6 hours ago, Aim Here said:

Season 9

Division A

DearyMe
ancientnoise
AimHere
pleslie999
RBWatson
stewartmathers
AlbinoRov
beef2711
The_kid1433

Division B

PnbMathematics
KenDeans
Basedgodsa1nt
XCTR94
markf268
mackieboz
N5_Spur
redVtop
Dustysghost

I’m not good enough for division A. Will get slapped about and spat back out as happened last time I wa in there!

3 hours ago, pleslie99 said:

I’m not good enough for division A. Will get slapped about and spat back out as happened last time I wa in there!

Sorry, that was a typo I made in a spreadsheet field. You'll almost certainly be in Division B barring any massive developments.

11 hours ago, Aim Here said:

Sorry, that was a typo I made in a spreadsheet field. You'll almost certainly be in Division B barring any massive developments.

I'm assuming the same goes for me (RBWatson) - at least a couple of those slated for Div. B finished above me last season.

41 minutes ago, EvilScotsman said:

I'm assuming the same goes for me (RBWatson) - at least a couple of those slated for Div. B finished above me last season.

This is what comes of late night spreadsheeting. Yes, you're right.

Also, in my call for previous season returnees, I missed @craigkillie and @invergowrie arab. You guys up for another season of chessing?

• 2 weeks later...

The Pie and Bovril Chess League Season 9

After a bit too much delay, I'm happy to kick off season 9 of the chess league. Because of the usual turnover in players, I've had to reconstruct the league slightly with a couple of Division B players getting an unexpected promotion (It's always a dilemma whether to promote division A players or to give demoted division A players a reprieve in these circumstances; I erred on the side of shaking the leagues up slightly more between seasons, so @arab_joe and @Ken Deans find themselves with a tougher season than anticipated.)

The initial league tables are, therefore:

Division A P W D L Pts
AH13STU 0 0 0 0 0
AimHere 0 0 0 0 0
AlbinoRov 0 0 0 0 0
ancientnoise 0 0 0 0 0
Arabjoe 0 0 0 0 0
beef2711 0 0 0 0 0
DearyMe 0 0 0 0 0
invergowrie 0 0 0 0 0
KenDeans 0 0 0 0 0
stewartmathers 0 0 0 0 0
The_Curmudgeon 0 0 0 0 0
The_kid1433 0 0 0 0 0

Division B P W D L Pts
Basedgodsa1nt 0 0 0 0 0
Dandies1983 0 0 0 0 0
DieHardDoonhamer 0 0 0 0 0
Dustysghost 0 0 0 0 0
mackieboz 0 0 0 0 0
markf268 0 0 0 0 0
N5_Spur 0 0 0 0 0
pleslie999 0 0 0 0 0
PnbMathematics 0 0 0 0 0
RBWatson 0 0 0 0 0
redVtop 0 0 0 0 0
XCTR94 0 0 0 0 0

And the initial set of fixtures are:

Division A

Round 1
invergowrie vs Arabjoe
DearyMe vs KenDeans
beef2711 vs AlbinoRov
ancientnoise vs stewartmathers
The_Curmudgeon vs AimHere
AH13STU vs The_kid1433

Round 2
KenDeans vs invergowrie
Arabjoe vs beef2711
stewartmathers vs DearyMe
AlbinoRov vs The_Curmudgeon
The_kid1433 vs ancientnoise
AimHere vs AH13STU

Division B

Round 1
redVtop vs DieHardDoonhamer
mackieboz vs XCTR94
N5_Spur vs markf268
pleslie999 vs RBWatson
PnbMathematics vs Basedgodsa1nt
Dustysghost vs Dandies1983

Round 2
XCTR94 vs redVtop
DieHardDoonhamer vs N5_Spur
RBWatson vs mackieboz
markf268 vs PnbMathematics
Dandies1983 vs pleslie999
Basedgodsa1nt vs Dustysghost

As usual, there are two fixtures every week. These are daily games on chess.com with the 'home' player (the first named player in any given fixture) being white, both players are responsible for firing off the challenge, and you should aim to get these fixtures played and reported back in this thread within about two weeks. I'll update the table and send out the new fixtures weekly.

To keep me honest, results and calculations are found on the spreadsheet at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YwODlp2A0TBMf2VuyjJox4ZaiyNKmLk37TH0_HrC-jk/edit?pli=1#gid=1689487236

Let battle commence!