P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I claimed a win by "time out" earlier on against someone else so it's only right to let you have this one

Fair enough. See you next time round.

@Frank Grimes  eindhovendee beats topcat on a time out.

5 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

NotThePars beats RicheyEdwards by checkmate.

Maybe not a game for purists with a few gaffes being made, but an enjoyable game to participate in nonetheless. Both of us were one move away from victory at different points in the game. However, NotThePars eventually got the win by checkmate, while taking most of my pieces in the process as I threw caution to the wind chasing the chance to snatch the victory from under his nose.

The grand finale was the ol' Dancing King routine being wheeled out for the first time ever in the P&B chess league. However, this was just for comedy value as defeat was inevitable for me at that point.

Good game, and good luck in your other fixtures.

I got too zeroed in on squeezing your king at the end of the game to the detriment of a couple of pieces. If I hadn't taken a step back for a moment near the end you'd have stolen that and I'd have probably liquidated myself there and then after some other major howlers this year.

A lot of fun. Already looking forward to the next one.

5 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I got too zeroed in on squeezing your king at the end of the game to the detriment of a couple of pieces. If I hadn't taken a step back for a moment near the end you'd have stolen that and I'd have probably liquidated myself there and then after some other major howlers this year.

A lot of fun. Already looking forward to the next one.

TBH that would have been an absolute robbery if I had won that.

Division A Round 8 Result

Dearyme beats Ziggy by resignation.

A well contested match this one and an enjoyable game. I thought we were careering towards a draw with opposite coloured bishops in an ending. However, I managed to force a favourable exchange with my Bishop and Rook for Queen + Pawn. That left me with Q,R and 6 pawns against 2R, B and 5 pawns. Eventually it was enough to win. However, it wasn't quite the shooty in I was expecting after I gained the advantage. 

Ziggy, looking back I think the g4 push was maybe where the momentum changed. At the time it was annoying as I had to calculate various captures but it left your kingside exposed. Once I got my Bishop on f4 backed up by my pawn on g5 it rendered the semi open g file a bit rubbish for you. Whilst I was able to attack on the semi-open h file.

I look forward to the return fixture.

Edited by Trogdor

17 minutes ago, arab_joe said:

Division B, round 9

Arabjoe beats cardinalrichie / @Cardinal Richelieu by resignation.  A really tight game until a couple of small errors let my Queen pick off a few pieces.  Good game.

Aye, twas a good game. Until I did my trademarked "Och, I can't be arsed thinking 2 moves ahead. I'm sure it'll work out for the best" manoeuvre. Bang. Rook + Knight down. Good night Vienna. 

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

Division A Round 8 Result

Dearyme beats Ziggy by resignation.

A well contested match this one and an enjoyable game. I thought we were careering towards a draw with opposite coloured bishops in an ending. However, I managed to force a favourable exchange with my Bishop and Rook for Queen + Pawn. That left me with Q,R and 6 pawns against 2R, B and 5 pawns. Eventually it was enough to win. However, it wasn't quite the shooty in I was expecting after I gained the advantage. 

Ziggy, looking back I think the g4 push was maybe where the momentum changed. At the time it was annoying as I had to calculate various captures but it left your kingside exposed. Once I got my Bishop on f4 backed up by my pawn on g5 it rendered the semi open g file a bit rubbish for you. Whilst I was able to attack on the semi-open h file.

I look forward to the return fixture.

Yeah, good game. I realised g4 was a bit of a punt but I was just trying to avoid a boring game. My mistake (1 of them) was missing the fact that the bishop go to f4 at all.

Even then I think I should have been able to hold it together however my queenside play was awful. Once you had chased my bishop to a less active square it was always going to be you that had all the fun.

Thanks for the game.

I'm usually pretty good at using the notes bar to jot down some thoughts and list potential moves but, f**k me, I've really got to start writing down potential move sequences if I spot them and make a move based off them. Twice in the last 24 hours I've looked two or three moves ahead, spotted something I was happy with and played the move and then totally forgotten what I'd planned by the time my opponent moved and I came back to it. I eventually re-worked it out both times but I probably wasted a good solid hour on this.

6 minutes ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

Chessbassguitar beats AH13STU 

An open game that ended with me miscalculating and going a piece down. Defence became disjointed and position was deteriorating fast. 

Well played.

Really enjoyed that, thanks for the game. Had to put a proper shift in - from move 9 onward I was playing through almost every single variation multiple times. I suspect over the board I'd have blown it. 

You had great chances, like you say just a couple of miscalculations the difference. If you'd played Bxd6 on move 15 or even Qc8+ on move 16 I would have been really toiling. In the latter case I'd still have been a piece up but my pieces would all be paralysed. 

Great game, thanks 

2 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

I'm usually pretty good at using the notes bar to jot down some thoughts and list potential moves but, f**k me, I've really got to start writing down potential move sequences if I spot them and make a move based off them. Twice in the last 24 hours I've looked two or three moves ahead, spotted something I was happy with and played the move and then totally forgotten what I'd planned by the time my opponent moved and I came back to it. I eventually re-worked it out both times but I probably wasted a good solid hour on this.

This is definitely our game... 🤣

7 minutes ago, mathematics said:

Question: are moves counted by game? That is, is white always odd-moves and black always even?

As I understand it moves are counted in pairs, so white would play move 1 then black plays move 1 etc.

Purple kangaroo defeats Beef2711 via resignation.

A 1st home defeat for me in almost a season and a half. Miscalculated a middle game exchange, thought I was going to get a rook for a knight, and ended up a knight down after completely missing an obvious pawn push. Battled on for a bit, but unless he made an absolute schoolboy error, I was never recovering.

Not my finest moment, but my opponent more than deserved his victory. Well played @craigkillie sir. Looking forward to the return.

26 minutes ago, mathematics said:

Question: are moves counted by game? That is, is white always odd-moves and black always even?

No, each player gets to 'move per move'. 

So you'll see 

1. e4 c5

2. Nf3 Nc6

And so on. 

Sometimes you'll see dots used when you want to talk about blacks move without including whites move in the equation. So a book might say "if black plays 1.... e5". 

1 hour ago, Uncle Psychosis said:

No, each player gets to 'move per move'. 

So you'll see 

1. e4 c5

2. Nf3 Nc6

And so on. 

Sometimes you'll see dots used when you want to talk about blacks move without including whites move in the equation. So a book might say "if black plays 1.... e5". 

Thank you, that’s very useful.