P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

1 hour ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Board Stupid defeats Strachanovski by check mate, thought I had him at the end with the queen, but wasn't to be. Great game.

Really good game. For a second I also thought that you'd turned the game on its head, but it didn't quite happen.

Looking forward to the return fixture.

HGP falls to Board Stupid by resignation due to me holding on to capture his queen but when the chance of that faded it was the kindest thing to do to the boys.

Enjoyable opening exchanges and 2 mistakes tipping the balance and BS' talent shine through.

Good game sir.

3 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

Really good game. For a second I also thought that you'd turned the game on its head, but it didn't quite happen.

Looking forward to the return fixture.

Is our fixture going to be PPV?

1 hour ago, Curmudgeon said:

If it was in the top league it would've been. BBC Alba are showing an interest though.

Obviously a strong interest in the local boy.

Division A Round 9 Result

Dearyme beats Bri1962 by resignation.

A queen's gambit accepted here. Bri nabbed the pawn and hung onto it for dear life. Although he sacrificed some development to keep it meaning I stole a bit of a charge down the centre. His King unable to castle took a step toward the Rook. Then unfortunately Bri duffed his Queen when playing moves at 7 in the morning! 

6 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Division A Round 9 Result

Dearyme beats Bri1962 by resignation.

A queen's gambit accepted here. Bri nabbed the pawn and hung onto it for dear life. Although he sacrificed some development to keep it meaning I stole a bit of a charge down the centre. His King unable to castle took a step toward the Rook. Then unfortunately Bri duffed his Queen when playing moves at 7 in the morning! 

Yeah it was the knight move instead of castling that done me, when you brought your rook down it was all over at that point. Well played.

Edited by keptie

13 minutes ago, keptie said:

Yeah it was the knight move instead of castling that done me, when you brought your rook down it was all over at that point. Well played.

Yeah not being able to castle was probably terminal. Thanks for the game.

On 14/05/2021 at 12:07, Frank Grimes said:

Round 10

Arabjoe v hammysgetinpumped 

Division B, round 10 - arabjoe defeats hammysgetinpumped / @101 by checkmate.

Nothing in the game until you gifted me your Queen - after that it was one way traffic.  Good game.

1 hour ago, arab_joe said:

Division B, round 10 - arabjoe defeats hammysgetinpumped / @101 by checkmate.

Nothing in the game until you gifted me your Queen - after that it was one way traffic.  Good game.

Yeh top tip for anyone in chess, don't move your queen in a diagonal space next to a pawn it's not smart.

15 minutes ago, EvilScotsman said:

Division C, Round 10:

Johnnydun beats RBWatson by checkmate.

Mad Dammit GIF by Melbournefc

You clearly did the research that you said you would, I may have to mix up my moves a bit!

200.gif.89ebd0a177cd8c1a4345e84c10d25e7a.gif

4 wins in a row, went from mid-table mediocrity to promotion challenging! Turning things around. If McPake can do it then so can I.

NotThePars beats RicheyEdwards by checkmate.

Maybe not a game for purists with a few gaffes being made, but an enjoyable game to participate in nonetheless. Both of us were one move away from victory at different points in the game. However, NotThePars eventually got the win by checkmate, while taking most of my pieces in the process as I threw caution to the wind chasing the chance to snatch the victory from under his nose.

The grand finale was the ol' Dancing King routine being wheeled out for the first time ever in the P&B chess league. However, this was just for comedy value as defeat was inevitable for me at that point.

Good game, and good luck in your other fixtures.