P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

Couple of Div C results with wins for markf268 over cols407 (by checkmate) and RBWatson (by resignation)

In both cases, I got a Queen up (one from pressuring other pieces, the other pretty much handed over) and was made good use of the advantage.

League A

GordonEF beats PnBMathematics by resignation

Pretty standard opening but pretty quickly @mathematics blundered away a bishop and let me force an advantageous Queen and then rook exchange which let me get so far on the front foot there was no real coming back from it.

Division C Round 12, cols407 beats GordonS496.

I tried opening with the Sicilian, first time I've used it since I did the wee study thing on Lichess about it. I didn't like it at all, it just feels passive. Lots to learn.

It was pretty even until cols nicely outmanoeuvred me and I lost a bishop, but you inexplicably gave me it back. My positional play was rank after than but fair play to you, you executed it properly (though on move 23 you should have shifted that central knight to c5, forking my queen and rook, as I realised the second after I had made my move).

GG, you well deserved that.

13 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I tried opening with the Sicilian, first time I've used it since I did the wee study thing on Lichess about it. I didn't like it at all, it just feels passive. Lots to learn.

It was pretty even until cols nicely outmanoeuvred me and I lost a bishop, but you inexplicably gave me it back. My positional play was rank after than but fair play to you, you executed it properly (though on move 23 you should have shifted that central knight to c5, forking my queen and rook, as I realised the second after I had made my move).

I had a look at some different openings a while ago after deciding not to just go with the standard King's pawn openings and I looked at the Sicilian. It's a weird one. My impression of it was basically I don't want to play it and I don't really want to play against it.

Edited by Gordon EF

11 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Yeah, seen that fork in the analysis. I knew I was giving the bishop back straight away but valued opening up space around your king over it. Likely the wrong decision, tunnel vision.

2 minutes ago, ShaggysBeard said:

Yeah, seen that fork in the analysis. I knew I was giving the bishop back straight away but valued opening up space around your king over it. Likely the wrong decision, tunnel vision.

You could have kept the bishop and still done all the damage on the kingside, you just needed to get it out of harm's way before moving the knight. But you won so WGAF!

The fork gave me one of those sphincter-puckering moments, after you missed it I honestly thought I was level but you played it much better than me after that.

5 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

I had a look at some different openings a while ago after deciding not to just go with the standard King's pawn openings and I looked at the Sicilian. It's a weird one. My impression of it was basically I don't want to play it and I don't really want to play against it.

I didn't have any opening for black before, I just played what was in front of me with the basic idea of fighting for the centre and getting pieces into active positions. I've tried the Stafford gambit a few times after someone used it against me, but that was it. I thought I should learn a bit of theory and try it out, I'm sure I should persist with it but I really felt like I was giving up the board.

Just now, GordonS said:

I didn't have any opening for black before, I just played what was in front of me with the basic idea of fighting for the centre and getting pieces into active positions. I've tried the Stafford gambit a few times after someone used it against me, but that was it. I thought I should learn a bit of theory and try it out, I'm sure I should persist with it but I really felt like I was giving up the board.

The Scandinavian seems to be pretty popular in League A. Never faced it before so did a bit of 'anti-Scandinavian' reading up. It's a pretty decent opening for black. If you play it solidly you tend to come out of the opening pretty even with white even if they respond well and there's a wee chance or two to get an advantage.

37 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

The Scandinavian seems to be pretty popular in League A. Never faced it before so did a bit of 'anti-Scandinavian' reading up. It's a pretty decent opening for black. If you play it solidly you tend to come out of the opening pretty even with white even if they respond well and there's a wee chance or two to get an advantage.

Thanks, never heard of it before, I'll have a look.

1 hour ago, Gordon EF said:

It's what I play as black against e4. I find it works pretty well, black has a solid pawn structure and no long term weaknesses. It can feel a little passive as you end up a move or two behind on development but it is solid. Against better players it can be a useful drawing weapon. There are also lines where you can sac a pawn for some nice counter play.

2 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

It's what I play as black against e4. I find it works pretty well, black has a solid pawn structure and no long term weaknesses. It can feel a little passive as you end up a move or two behind on development but it is solid. Against better players it can be a useful drawing weapon. There are also lines where you can sac a pawn for some nice counter play.

Yeah, I do quite like it and I'll probably consider using it. It certainly feels like an opening where you don't really 'get your own way' as white in the opening and are forced into some uncomfortable positions early on which in itself is pretty good as black.

2 hours ago, GordonS said:

If you're happy playing inferior opposition I'll offer you a friendly. No worries if you'd rather not.

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

Anyone looking for a friendly hit me up 

I'll hit you both up. What are your usernames? I wouldn't be selling myself short either idk the names of any openings just operate on blind instinct which can flatter to deceive.