P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

19 minutes ago, GordonS said:

aYUdm3H.gif

I think it was more him than me. I mean, look at this shit: 98.7% caps, zero mistakes of any kind, only one 'meh' move with everything else 'best/excellent/book'. It's not even as if it was a simple, wide-open game from the outset, either. Just him slowly crushing me, move after move. If he's going to make a habit of this, you guys better be very afraid.

pleslie99.png.4dc9a7e5773425aa9ace6532a6e51c93.png

Edited by Aim Here

42 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

I think it was more him than me. I mean, look at this shit: 98.7% caps, zero mistakes of any kind, only one 'meh' move with everything else 'best/excellent/book'. It's not even as if it was a simple, wide-open game from the outset, either. Just him slowly crushing me, move after move. If he's going to make a habit of this, you guys better be very afraid.

Cheers, I seem to have the odd good game then some proper disasters I'm currently playing @mathematics in a load of friendlies and he will vouch for that. 

My issue is I see one attack and go for it, if my plan gets put to bed by my opponent I get stuck not knowing what to do, this one came off, most of the time they don't. 

1 hour ago, Aim Here said:

I've just had a very quick look.

Tbf after you lost the d5 pawn that position feels significantly worse for black to hold. A lot of the subsequent moves are either forcing moves or tactically opportunistic (like the e5 pawn being pinned to the Queen) which means almost any move for White will be excellent or better. The bishops on a2 and b2 are deadlier than they look as well. 

Very nice game for White. Some lovely tactics in amongst there as well. That poor black Queen was getting harried every second from about move 11 or 12.

League A

DearyMe beats GordonEF by resignation (checkmate was just a few moves away)

Not had a proper look through the analysis yet but it was a pretty tight game most of the way through with a few very minor swings each way. Got done in on the end game though. A couple of mistakes on my part and a very clinical closing out of the game from @Trogdor.

1 hour ago, Gordon EF said:

League A

DearyMe beats GordonEF by resignation (checkmate was just a few moves away)

Not had a proper look through the analysis yet but it was a pretty tight game most of the way through with a few very minor swings each way. Got done in on the end game though. A couple of mistakes on my part and a very clinical closing out of the game from @Trogdor.

Yeah, I actually felt I was worse. Ng5 was a phenomenal move on your part. I thought I was a pawn up and comfy and ended up a pawn down. I was lucky to hold the position. The mistake on your part was maybe going into an ending too early. Also going for my h pawn was the decivise one. You would have been better opposing my king with your king. Because if I ever move the Rook off the h file you get the h pawn anyway. I really didn't feel I deserved to win that one. Good game. 

Edited by Trogdor

Division A Round 11 Result

Dearyme beats AH13STU by resignation. Interesting game this one, it was another Grunfeld but I opted to give up the a pawn for more active play via Rb1. That's a move that Boris Gelfand likes and plays often. I think the decisive part here was retreating your Queen rather than advancing your queenside pawns. I was able to keep hitting your queen and improve my position. Bf6 was the critical error as the position crumbled at that point.

Good game.

Edited by Trogdor

Seaside league result

Mackieboz beats Dieharddoonhamer by checkmate.

Kept things simple and developed early. Ironically, I never moved my queen at all and she was part of a checkmate move outta nowhere. As black it's something times hard but you have to attack when you get the opportunity.

Good game sir.

2 hours ago, Trogdor said:

Yeah, I actually felt I was worse. Ng5 was a phenomenal move on your part. I thought I was a pawn up and comfy and ended up a pawn down. I was lucky to hold the position. The mistake on your part was maybe going into an ending too early. Also going for my h pawn was the decivise one. You would have been better opposing my king with your king. Because if I ever move the Rook off the h file you get the h pawn anyway. I really didn't feel I deserved to win that one. Good game. 

Yeah, looking back, Rh3 instead of moving my king to try and take control of the centre was where it started to unravel.

Ng5 was the move I'd seen and then totally forgot what I was doing with it. I made the move having already seen that playing Nxf7 was fine after you covered with the rook. But when it came to making the second move I'd totally forgot why.

2 hours ago, Trogdor said:

Division A Round 11 Result

Dearyme beats AH13STU by resignation. Interesting game this one, it was another Grunfeld but I opted to give up the a pawn for more active play via Rb1. That's a move that Boris Gelfand likes and plays often. I think the decisive part here was retreating your Queen rather than advancing your queenside pawns. I was able to keep hitting your queen and improve my position. Bf6 was the critical error as the position crumbled at that point.

Good game.

Yeah Qe6 was poor, hadn't considered the impact Bb5 would have. Bf6 was the big error but was well on the back foot by then. Thinking I may need to give up an exchange to rid central pawns but never got an opportunity.

The sinking ship is sinking further. Will I ever make it back to the harbour.

Well played.

5 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Our current match is just a wall of pawns.

Struggling to see how this will open up.

Screenshot_20210523-210617_Chess.jpg

f4 ?

although black's bishop could become active !

But it looks like black's move ( duh ) ' . Black could plan for f5 , or h5 , but has to protect d6 and his king is on the g file. Bc8 , Ne8 , f6 ,  ?

Very tricky indeed

Edited by ewan14

17 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Our current match is just a wall of pawns.

Struggling to see how this will open up.

Screenshot_20210523-210617_Chess.jpg

Aye. 22 moves in and no pawns have been taken. Never played a game like it before.

On 20/05/2021 at 23:05, Frank Grimes said:

Division B 

Round 11

topcateh3 v Arabjoe 

Arabjoe beats @topcat by checkmate. 

Thanks for the game - it never got going as I somehow managed to force a checkmate in under 10 moves.