P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

Your original proposal of two up two down automatically and a play off for A8/B3 and B8/C3 with the lower player taking white sounds best to me. Guarantees more fresh opposition each subsequent season and filters the natural pecking order quicker.

1 hour ago, Scorge said:

Your original proposal of two up two down automatically and a play off for A8/B3 and B8/C3 with the lower player taking white sounds best to me. Guarantees more fresh opposition each subsequent season and filters the natural pecking order quicker.

Yeah, I'd vote for that. Good bit of promotion and relegation is better. If more folk were to join in later seasons, you don't want better players being stuck in lower leagues for too long as well. I think chess is always more fun when you're playing people not too far from your own level.

Edited by Gordon EF

Yeah a cup would be great as well.  If 30 participants two to get a bye and 28 in the first round.

For promotion I agree with two up and two down, but for the playoff I would stipulate the higher division goes white.  Obviously a bit of lottery this season, but as the seasons go on it should reflect the ranking scores of everyone.

960 is where the back row gets shuffled at random therefore the conventional wisdom regarding openings goes out of the window IIRC.

Gameplay pretty much the same otherwise, but don't know how much that's going to throw folk off.

I'd vote for the Cup being on a timer and try to get the whole thing done over a weekend or something if it was possible.

There'd be 5 rounds tops. Majority of folk would only play one or two games.

Edited by Gordon EF

14 hours ago, johnnydun said:

I think maybe 4 go up, 4 go down in this first season as we didn't know each others levels to begin with, this would even it out a bit quicker.

Up for a cup like.

I agree with Johnny 4 up/down the first season just to try and makes sure people can get the correct level quite quickly.