P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

Division B Round 22

Markf268 defeats IncomingExile by resignation. I think the key to this game was an awful rook blunder that enabled mark to capture a bishop and dismantle my attack, which was looking pretty useful at that stage. Worse still, I'd already discounted that move as a really bad idea.

Result wasn't in doubt after that stage as my opponent kept the pressure on. Thanks for the game. 

On 17/07/2023 at 10:56, Trogdor said:

Was I white in first game? I think I played black against you twice in the league. No that it really matters.

Apologies, @Aim Here I have been very slow in reporting. I'll review my results tonight as I don't think I have many league games left at all.

I just had a look at the fixture list and you are correct - I was white in both games.

Looks like we both missed that. D'oh!

Willing to consider the drawn match void and go again (with me as black this time).

2 minutes ago, ancientnoise said:

I just had a look at the fixture list and you are correct - I was white in both games.

Looks like we both missed that. D'oh!

Willing to consider the drawn match void and go again (with me as black this time).

You're alright, the form I'm in you might beat me again and I can't have that. 😉

On 14/07/2023 at 15:25, IncomingExile said:

960 League Cup Quarter Final Draw

(2) Albino Rovers versus (7) Aim Here

Trap meet countertrap. AlbinoRov chases my king up the board into what would be a mate in two, or at least a lost queen if I play the obvious-looking moves that my fingers want to play. Trouble is, if I play the same moves in the opposite order, AlbinoRov's most natural-seeming moves lead to checkmate the other way, and that's what happened.

AimHere beats AlbinoRov by checkmate

ANYONE UP FOR A 960 LEAGUE?

Now that Season 8 of the main event is drawing to a close, and following on from some in-game chat with a recent 960 opponent I wondered if there would be any interest in an additional tournament on the calendar. 

I was thinking of a shorter, league-and-knockout 960 format with a 'Championship' and 'Consolation' phase for top-half and bottom-half finishers. A couple of groups in the league stage which would be one full round only (everyone plays each other once only, hopefully an even number of home and away ties if the numbers stack up). Then it splits into the two separate knockout phases.

If there's enough interest, the league stage could be split into smaller groups to ensure the 960 league doesn't overlap too much with the start of Season 9 of the Proper League, and I'd set up a separate forum thread so as not to overload this one.

I realise not everyone likes the 960 format, and with three tournaments already on the go this could be too much chess (that's like saying too much football or too many music festivals) but if there's enough interest I'm happy to set it up and even try my hand at a spreadsheet thingie. What could possibly go wrong? 

Like/Dislike this post to register your interest/give it a miss, and then we'll see how things go. Will edit this in a bit to tag in existing league members. 

EDIT: oh wow, check this luddite out with his 'copy' and 'paste'
@Aim Here@craigkillie@Leicesterlichtie@mathematics@Albino Rover@invergowrie arab@Frank Grimes@free beer@ancientnoise@Trogdor@IncomingExile@BaSeDG0DSA1NT@EvilScotsman@Ken Deans@N5 Spur@SweeperDee@Stellaboz@the tungston weasel@true_rover@arab_joe@pleslie99@Ziggy

I reckon I'm missing a few because of different P&B/chess.com names, so please feel free to notify others if you think they may be interested. @Bigmouth Strikes Again?

Can't find beef2711's P & B name to tag in.

Edited by IncomingExile

22 hours ago, Aim Here said:

Trap meet countertrap. AlbinoRov chases my king up the board into what would be a mate in two, or at least a lost queen if I play the obvious-looking moves that my fingers want to play. Trouble is, if I play the same moves in the opposite order, AlbinoRov's most natural-seeming moves lead to checkmate the other way, and that's what happened.

AimHere beats AlbinoRov by checkmate

Outsmarted, fair and square, by the guy at the top of Division A.

Nicely played. Best of luck in the League and Cup.

3 hours ago, IncomingExile said:

ANYONE UP FOR A 960 LEAGUE?

I am rubbish at 960 - but would happily take part in this, if there were not too many fixtures.

Perhaps "Nations League" style mini-leagues of 4 in-between seasons? (if the numbers allow for this/)

57 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

Ziggythespider beats pleslie999 by resignation

i was delighted to get to an end game tbh. Was never really threatening to win. My weakness in endgames showed as I was well and truly slapped around. Well played 

Thanks for the game mate. 

I thought you played really well for most of it and were maybe slightly better after 20 odd moves.

When it comes to rook & pawn endgames it’s really important to try and be as active/aggressive as possible. You were just too passive and that allowed me to get on the front foot.

It feels like I got away with one in this game, I spent most of it worrying that it wasn’t going well.

Division A Round 20

An end of season six-pointer where Curmudgeon piles the pressure on in the opening, but I defend well enough to go into the endgame with a small positional advantage, and I reckon I played fairly accurately to convert the endgame to a win, despite Curmy not doing much wrong.

AimHere beats Curmudgeon by resignation.

Division B Round 20.

Arabjoe wins by checkmate in the rescheduled round 20 fixture, I had no answers to his accuracy and never threatened the outcome. The result leaves the away side with a more than decent chance of retaining the Wooden Spoon for another season, which is a pity as the weary owners were looking to pawn the trophy cabinet to save the club. 

Well played.