P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

Division A Final Results

With the final result played, we now have the table for Division A

Division A P W D L Pts
ancientnoise 22 19 3 0 60
DearyMe 22 19 2 1 59
The_Curmudgeon 22 16 2 4 50
AimHere 22 16 0 6 48
stewartmathers 22 11 1 10 34
Arabjoe 22 8 3 11 27
AH13STU 22 6 3 13 21
KenDeans 22 6 3 13 21
invergowrie 22 5 4 13 19
AlbinoRov 22 5 2 15 17
beef2711 22 4 2 16 14
The_kid1433 22 3 3 16 12

It went right down to the wire this season, with @ancientnoise claiming a draw against DearyMe / @Trogdor in the second-last game to finish, and put himself top. Congratulations to @ancientnoise, the winner of Pie and Bovril Chess League Season 9 in an unbeaten season.

At the other end, @D Angelo Barksdale/beef2711 and @the tungston weasel/the_kid1433 are pencilled in for relegation, notwithstanding league restructuring; @Albino Rover escapes the drop thanks to his playoff win against @mathematics. They'll be replaced by @pleslie99 and @Caro-Kann , the latter of whom looks like they might be a contender for this season.

Congratulations to Ancientnoise, a worthy winner, and thanks to all the players for an easy-to-administer season, and I hope to see you all next time round.

--

Talking of which, I have a reasonable amount of signups for next season, there's still room for more. Anyone new to the league, or returning from previous seasons is more than welcome to join in. In particular, I've not had any response from the following as to whether they're in or out this season:

@Trogdor @the tungston weasel @SweeperDee @Frank Grimes @Leicesterlichtie @HulltoonDee @free beer

@Aim Here

Al Pacino GIF

@ancientnoise & @Caro-Kann need put in their place. With the natural order being restored next season.

Interested to know if some of the old guard might return? @DeeTillEhDeh @Ludo*1 @eindhovendee @Ziggy @Loki Far too many good chess players support Dundee... an odd correlation. That being said, Scotland's first Grand Master was from Dundee. Anyone know who that is?

29 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

@Aim Here

Al Pacino GIF

@ancientnoise & @Caro-Kann need put in their place. With the natural order being restored next season.

Interested to know if some of the old guard might return? @DeeTillEhDeh @Ludo*1 @eindhovendee @Ziggy @Loki Far too many good chess players support Dundee... an odd correlation. That being said, Scotland's first Grand Master was from Dundee. Anyone know who that is?

He was my Doctor's son many years ago, Paul Motwani. His Dad was great for a sick note. 

I'm still out for now, just don't have the spare time. Maybe next season. 

2 hours ago, Trogdor said:

@Aim Here

Al Pacino GIF

No from me.

I don't mind the odd game of blitz these days but can't be arsed playing another season.

In any case you need to try and regain your title from @ancientnoise

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

3 hours ago, Trogdor said:

@Aim Here

Al Pacino GIF

@Richey Edwards could redress the balance, perhaps?

11 hours ago, Trogdor said:

@Aim Here

Al Pacino GIF

I will have to give that a hard no, I was full on Tetris Effect mad playing that much chess.  I did have two boards set up at home with each league game and in my lunch and break I would be practising moves.

Plus putting all that practice in and still getting beat by you was disheartening 😂

Cup result

pleslie999 loses to @Curmudgeon by timeout.

apologies, got snowed under with work today and totally lost track. Was totally out of ideas anyway and would’ve been shuffling pieces around until you inevitably stuck me in a completely lost position. Well played and cheers for the game. Good luck in the final.

7 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

Cup result

pleslie999 loses to @Curmudgeon by timeout.

apologies, got snowed under with work today and totally lost track. Was totally out of ideas anyway and would’ve been shuffling pieces around until you inevitably stuck me in a completely lost position. Well played and cheers for the game. Good luck in the final.

You're doing yourself a massive disservice. I got careless with my pawns a couple of times and you played a great game and took advantage of my errors.

I've been let off the hook with your timekeeping so I've sent out an invite for the rematch as it's the least you deserve.

On 22/02/2024 at 21:00, Aim Here said:

Talking of which, I have a reasonable amount of signups for next season, there's still room for more. Anyone new to the league, or returning from previous seasons is more than welcome to join in. In particular, I've not had any response from the following as to whether they're in or out this season:

@Trogdor @the tungston weasel @SweeperDee @Frank Grimes @Leicesterlichtie @HulltoonDee @free beer

You can include @weeyin13in for next season @Aim Here

Chess.com handle to follow.

Edited by ancientnoise

4 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

You're doing yourself a massive disservice. I got careless with my pawns a couple of times and you played a great game and took advantage of my errors.

I've been let off the hook with your timekeeping so I've sent out an invite for the rematch as it's the least you deserve.

A gentleman's offer for you @pleslie99

Your game versus @Curmudgeonwas intriguing and even-stevens IMO.

Reminder that the other semi has yet to get under way,  so plenty time. No rush.

Edited by ancientnoise

22 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

20 hours ago, ancientnoise said:

A gentleman's offer for you @pleslie99

Your game versus @Curmudgeonwas intriguing and even-stevens IMO.

Reminder that the other semi has yet to get under way,  so plenty time. No rush.

I honestly don’t mind going out, it’s my own fault, there’s no excuse for running out of time I just lost track with a hectic day at work.

i appreciate the offer of a rematch, i have accepted the invite but if any objections, to protect the integrity of the league/cup I will happily resign and stand aside! 

Cup result

AH13STU got himself on the front foot for most of the game, but I manage to swap off all the pieces and he makes a one-move mistake in the King pawn endgame.

AimHere beats AH13STU by resignation.

Edited by Aim Here

Well done @ancientnoise - going a season unbeaten against the big guns in Div A is no mean feat!

Thanks again @Aim Here for organising, and count me in for next season please.

In the meantime anyone who fancies a friendly please feel free to challenge me (AlbinoRov) - I badly need the practice.

6 hours ago, Aim Here said:

Cup result

AH13STU got himself on the front foot for most of the game, but I manage to swap off all the pieces and he makes a one-move mistake in the King pawn endgame.

AimHere beats AH13STU by resignation.

Thanks for the battle.