The Great Playoff/2nd place Hunt

1 hour ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Wighton already proved last season in his brief spell at Arbroath that he's got potential at this level, and I'd say it's only gotten more obvious. Personally happy to see him storming it (bar the missed penalty today), need more Harris Academy alumni bossing Scottish football.

My middle one is at Harris, with the youngest still to go there. 

He is a solid, confident centre half. I have no doubts he would stroll into our defence right now.

7 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

My middle one is at Harris, with the youngest still to go there. 

He is a solid, confident centre half. I have no doubts he would stroll into our defence right now.

One for the future I'm sure. Pretty sure all we've had are Lee Wilkie (don't know about Jack tbf) and Wighton, who was a couple of years above me at the time.

On 13/03/2021 at 13:07, RossBFaeDundee said:

Bit of a gap opened up between the top 5 and bottom 5. Knowing this league, it'll be closed up within a week or two, but if it grows with games quickly running out, I might end up having to drop out Arbroath, Ayr, ICT and Morton. Again, fully expect something stupid to happen and all the teams being back on even terms soon.

Don’t think this gap is going to close, per say. The one winner from this weekend was Morton, who will face a weakened QoS in an attempt to vault clear of the bunch at the bottom, and ICT will get another bite at the apple Tuesday. If Morton or ICT fail to take 3 points from their next games, I suspect the playoffs will then be a four team race, with QoS hobbled and unlikely to get points from the next two matches. Alloa, Arbroath and Ayr all face each other, with Alloa likely knowing if their fate is sealed by 3 April, after their back to back games with the other two.

In seriousness any chance we had of a top 4 finish ended when Jones went off injured at Arbroath. And with Dapo almost certainly about to be suspended it completely kills it off. The only playoffs we'll be involved in are the relegation ones.

5 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

In seriousness any chance we had of a top 4 finish ended when Jones went off injured at Arbroath. And with Dapo almost certainly about to be suspended it completely kills it off. The only playoffs we'll be involved in are the relegation ones.

Never underestimate our ability to shoot ourselves in the foot, mate.

31 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

You'd need to collapse straight back to your start of the season form to end up in the bottom two. It's not happening.

You'd need to collapse straight back to your start of the season form to end up in the bottom two. It's not happening.
It's more likely to happen than our excellent turn around was, tbf [emoji38]

Sadly, I feel the same. The Alloa game was our huge chance to stamp our top 4 credentials but we fluffed our lines at the crucial time. Saturdays game at Morton yet another cup final - if we lose that we will be hoping other results go our way. We also have a poor goal difference which could be a factor if we go on a losing run. If we had our key players fit we could have mounted a challenge but sadly that boat has sailed out of port.

Guest Flash
12 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

That isn’t strictly true. You’ve said 32 points might be needed to avoid 9th. That would mean we need 5 points from the last 7 games. We took zero points from those games in the first round. So, we wouldn’t need to be as bad as we were.

2 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Sadly, I feel the same. The Alloa game was our huge chance to stamp our top 4 credentials but we fluffed our lines at the crucial time. Saturdays game at Morton yet another cup final - if we lose that we will be hoping other results go our way. We also have a poor goal difference which could be a factor if we go on a losing run. If we had our key players fit we could have mounted a challenge but sadly that boat has sailed out of port.

Losing Jones has been massive. I think we needed him to have any possibility of a top 4 finish. And it doesn’t help that Mebude is likely going to miss the remainder of the season after Saturday. Add in Nortey being out seemingly for the season and the suspensions for Obileye and McCabe and the chances of the top 4 become even more remote. Of course, it doesn’t necessarily mean we will plummet down the league.
It looks like a minimum of 40 points will be needed for a top 4 finish. We’d need to get at least 13 or 14 points from the last 7 games. That is championship winning form. I think getting that with our injuries and suspensions is extremely unlikely.

11 hours ago, Flash said:

That isn’t strictly true. You’ve said 32 points might be needed to avoid 9th. That would mean we need 5 points from the last 7 games. We took zero points from those games in the first round. So, we wouldn’t need to be as bad as we were.

Based upon a normal 36 game season showing 40 points to be safe 90+% of the time, 30 should be good this year. Given that’s 3 points from 7 games, you’re in pretty decent shape, even if your GD is a weight dragging you down. With Morton closing with Alloa and Arbroath, the game this Saturday become huge for both of you, with a Morton victory giving them a fair chance of catching you.

Really can't be arsed, but it's what I've signed up for!

image.png.cece16db8d32a5e89aa9073dc1d5f980.png

A very impressive performance from David Hopkin's Ayr side, ragdolled Dundee at Dens and have hauled themselves up a place. Dundee were just dreadful, and I'm not even being that biased in that description. Once again McPake fails to find consistency and have wasted a vital game in hand.

Meanwhile at Stark's Park, an early red card for Iain Davidson saw Raith on the back foot from the start, and Inverness took advantage to get Neil McCann his first win as Caley gaffer. Like Ayr, ICT distance themselves from Arbroath and are now just 3 points behind 4th. Raith fail to take advantage and now run the risk of Dunfermline running away with second if their Fife rivals can find some consistency of their own. 3 games without a win now for John McGlynn's side.

image.png.f09dbcbe0302b9b01a678ebdd297ee9f.png

Will do the weekend's preview tomorrow, can't be arsed as previously mentioned.

On 14/03/2021 at 15:23, TxRover said:

Don’t think this gap is going to close, per say. The one winner from this weekend was Morton, who will face a weakened QoS in an attempt to vault clear of the bunch at the bottom, and ICT will get another bite at the apple Tuesday. If Morton or ICT fail to take 3 points from their next games, I suspect the playoffs will then be a four team race, with QoS hobbled and unlikely to get points from the next two matches. Alloa, Arbroath and Ayr all face each other, with Alloa likely knowing if their fate is sealed by 3 April, after their back to back games with the other two.

Well, ICT answered the bell...and now Davo has gifted Morton with facing a very thin backline on March 30. Ayr was a surprise, and we’ll see if Raith will bottle it now this weekend or Ayr will be overconfident facing the same thin defense. Depending on Tumilty’s condition, we have either three or four healthy defenders to chose from, and that’s it, period.

21 hours ago, Gorgie greatness said:

Another midweek of fixtures in which not a glove was laid on us! 

likely gonna be Dunfermline IMO who takes 2nd. 

QoS to go on a run & keep the travelling circus Dundee out the playoffs 🤞

Hope your right, How many Hearts players will miss the QoS Game next Sat due to international call ups? 

11 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Hope your right, How many Hearts players will miss the QoS Game next Sat due to international call ups? 

Surely just Gordon? So the game will go ahead.

6 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Northern Ireland squad hasn't been announced yet but you'd expect Smith and Boyce to be in that. I'd guess the game will still go ahead though.

Aye, they made Raith play despite losing an International...😏🤭😝