Null & Void or an 18 Game Season?

3 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Unless the player tests positive as well then people he's had close contact with wouldn't have to isolate. It's only people who've had close contact with the positive case.

Anyway, this is predictably going to descend into farce and end up with 18 games, but no club can complain about the SPFL when the fixture list becomes an absolute mess next month. Their own proposal, which the SPFL tried to advise against, is the reason it's having to be crammed in by 23 April rather than going for 18 from the outset.

I guess they'll have to wait until they see who makes it through in the cup as well to plan around those weekends, but could it be possible to avoid clubs getting a week of Sat-Tues-Thurs-Sat-Tues-Sat by moving Saturday fixtures to the Fridays and Sundays and getting more days to play with? Doubt that'll be popular either but a schedule of Fri-Mon-Thu-Sun-Wed-Sat is at least avoiding anyone playing two games in three days while getting the same number of games in.

It could play havoc as clubs who don't need to cram so many in could have a Saturday game moved to a Friday, a Tuesday to Monday or Thursday etc then all of a sudden everyone is having to shunt around to maintain two day gaps between fixtures, but it's worth considering.

A lot would depend on whether part time players are able to meet those fixture requirements I suppose. 

50 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

If any club fails to fulfil a fixture due to a covid outbreak (or any other reason actually), then the onus is on the club to prove that they did not have enough available players. Therefore they probably would have to provide medical records or something similar in such a case.

However, your scenario would fail at the first hurdle, given that if a player's wife tests positive then it would only be her contacts who had to isolate, not his. He would be getting tested and it would only be if he also tested positive that any of his contacts would be involved.

My original post was a bit tongue in cheek I'm not really suggesting anyone would actually try this. I'm sure there's enough chance of this idea getting fecked up without anyone deliberately trying to do it.

4 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Just like every single other football season ever then?

Well, not really.

Genuine question: when was the last time that a game had to be played after the expected season end? (Probably last season 😃).  I have no idea but most postponements are down to weather which wouldn't normally be an issue at that time of year. This season is obviously a bit different as we could, and possibly will, have loads of games postponed toward the end of the season.

5 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

Well, not really.

Genuine question: when was the last time that a game had to be played after the expected season end? (Probably last season 😃).  I have no idea but most postponements are down to weather which wouldn't normally be an issue at that time of year. This season is obviously a bit different as we could, and possibly will, have loads of games postponed toward the end of the season.

It happened in Division 1 in 2008/09 - Airdrie v St Johnstone was postponed on the final day and they had to play on the Monday instead. Airdrie were already in the play-offs and therefore played an entire reserve team, while St Johnstone handed out a debut to a certain Stevie May, who marked it with a goal.

I can definitely see postponements in the coming weeks, but I find it unlikely it would extend past the end of May - that would be several weeks.

OK, so this is my half-arsed attempt at seeing how this fits in. The championship is scheduled to finish on Friday 30th April.

Assuming the Cup has to take priority, I already think we're out of time without going Sat-Mon-Thu-Sat as East Fife have 2 games to catch up and are already in SC3 - and if any team gets through to the last 16 of the cup (Montrose only have 2 highland league sides blocking their path and Forfar have Edinburgh City even if any of the others don't pull off a shock) that pushes it back as well. That plus any bad weather or especially a covid outbreak and I can't see how we get to 18 by 23rd April..

image.png.0232b43a4bcb5f423b8db07b84302945.png

Edited by Fuctifano

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

It happened in Division 1 in 2008/09 - Airdrie v St Johnstone was postponed on the final day and they had to play on the Monday instead. Airdrie were already in the play-offs and therefore played an entire reserve team, while St Johnstone handed out a debut to a certain Stevie May, who marked it with a goal.

I was at that game that night. The young Airdrie reserves did ok till half time and then St Johnstone took charge with a big win (4-0?) . Of the Airdrie reserves appearing I think only Jamie Bain went on to have a solid L1 career , and i think the goalie was lee Hollis who had a spell at Motherwell. Clearly Stevie May did a wee bit better.

Guest The Phoenix
2 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

OK, so this is my half-arsed attempt at seeing how this fits in. The championship is scheduled to finish on Friday 30th April.

Assuming the Cup has to take priority, I already think we're out of time without going Sat-Mon-Thu-Sat as East Fife have 2 games to catch up and are already in SC3 - and if any team gets through to the last 16 of the cup (Montrose only have 2 highland league sides blocking their path and Forfar have Edinburgh City even if any of the others don't pull off a shock) that pushes it back as well. That plus any bad weather or especially a covid outbreak and I can't see how we get to 18 by 23rd April..

You need 5 MD’s for 19-22

The Championship clubs must be laughing their socks off at this.
League One clubs will be absolutely knackered going into the playoffs, so whoever finishes second bottom of the Championship will probably survive.
Win this league now if you want promotion. Play off slots are pretty much a waste of time this season due to the numbskulls who thought this was an improvement on 18 games plus play offs....

You can tell what’s going to happen here. The team that’s top after 18 games is gonna capitulate and finish 5th after 22 games. I’d maybe even bet on what team that might be. SPFL should announce your playing 18 games, then try and get on with it. 

The best thing to come out of all this is at least on Championship club will be relegated, as for a time they thought they were “off the hook” 

12 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Looks great apart from the fact that only 4/10 teams have actually played 11 matches.

Looks great apart from the fact that only 4/10 teams have actually played 11 matches.

It’s ok. You can also play on an additional three Thursdays as well as the additional 4 games and then possibly the relegation play offs.
You’ll be fine.....

The more I look at the potential scheduling the more I think the idea of a 22 game season is completely idiotic. 18 games or null and void would appear the only two sensible options, and it comes as no surprise that the clubs aren't pursuing either of  these 

Guest The Phoenix
38 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Good point. The more I look at it, the more I think getting 18 in plus Scottish cup might be a bit tight for time. 22 is madness.

On this occasion, I can lighten the burden of your user name. 

To effect change, 8 votes in each league had to be achieved. 

No other option was likely to achieve that landmark so compromise had to be deployed to avoid the status quo of 27. 

On this occasion, I can lighten the burden of your user name. 
To effect change, 8 votes in each league had to be achieved. 
No other option was likely to achieve that landmark so compromise had to be deployed to avoid the status quo of 27. 

In other words , a perfect example of ‘democracy’ giving us a solution the minority wants and certainly not the best solution given the situation......

16 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Shows how ridiculous this 22 game plan is. It's not as straightforward as that though because some teams will have to play on a Thursday as well and even if a team has played 11 games they could still have to play on a Thursday because that will be the only night available for their opposition.

Another point I saw raised was are Leagues 1 and 2 in this together? What happens if all League 1 get to 18 games but say Albion Rovers can't for whatever reason. All both Leagues then called at 18 games?