Scotland squad face March 2021

Craigieboy86

On 16/02/2021 at 10:21, Stellaboz said:

What? Just because you're deaf doesn't mean you're not able to type properly. 

You don't know anything about sign language, do you?

Probably not the thread for it, but written English is a second language for deaf people with an entirely different sentence structure to learn to sign language. If you were taking the piss out of a non-native English speaker who made errors on here because they were from a different country this would be recognised as a completely dickish thing to do - it's the same thing.

Anyway, if it's a 29 man squad:

Marshall, Gordon, McLaughlin

McTominay, Gallagher, Tierney, O'Donnell, Robertson, McKenna*, Hanley, Cooper, Palmer, Taylor

Jack, McGregor, McGinn, Christie, Armstrong, Fraser, McLean, Gilmour, Turnbull, Gauld*, Forrest*

Dykes, Griffiths, Shankland, Nisbet, Burke

Obviously dependent on the fitness of McKenna and Forrest, if McKenna's back by then he'll be in but it could be too soon for Forrest even if he's getting some games for Celtic by that point. As Covid regulations currently stand there's no exemption for elite athletes travelling from Portugal, so Gauld wouldn't be allowed to travel unless that changes as well.

There are also question marks on Gallagher and Nisbet if their attempts to force transfers are continuing to backfire and they aren't playing again yet, but you'd think the lack of game time is more likely to become an issue for the summer if they're still sitting on the bench or in the stand for the rest of the season. Although while I wouldn't pick him, I'd expect Clarke to persist with McBurnie so Nisbet is the most likely to make way for him anyway.

Aside from McBurnie, the players I've not selected there who were included in the last two windows are McCrorie, Considine, Porteous, Hanlon, Fleck and Paterson. You'd think Fleck is next in line in midfield and only injuries would get the rest in, but Clarke does seem to have a thing for Paterson.

Barring someone like Hickey breaking through, John Souttar both getting fit much earlier than expected and playing well enough for a call up despite playing in the Championship or someone emerging from nowhere, that's pretty much the whole pool of options for this window and for the summer.

34 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

McTominay, Gallagher, Tierney, O'Donnell, Robertson, McKenna*, Hanley, Cooper, Palmer, Taylor

Jack, McGregor, McGinn, Christie, Armstrong, Fraser, McLean, Gilmour, Turnbull, Gauld*, Forrest*

I'd drop Taylor for Hickey and I'm not sure Gilmour will be picked by Clarke, but I pretty much agree with everything you've said. Cutting that down to 23 for the Euros becomes tricky but those midfield options...

Image result for vince mcmahon gif

I just don’t really see many if any new names getting into the final euro squad. With it being smaller than the regular squads I think if anything it’ll be more who to leave out rather than bringing anyone in.

Hickey and Gilmour aren’t playing currently and I can’t see Gauld forcing his way in. I think Shankland is more likely to get called up than Nisbet just because he’s been in the squad before but I can easily see both missing out. Turnbull probably has the best chance of making it but I think it might even take injuries before he gets a chance.

With there being three games in March there’s more chance of people getting an opportunity but I think it would take something pretty special for someone new to force their way in for the summer.

Edited by Rodhull

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

On what basis is Shankland better than Nisbet?

IMO hes better at holding the ball up, better link play, better 1v1, better finisher, better lone striker.

Nisbet is very good, probably the best non-OF striker in the top flight apart from Shankland. Theyd probably work well together tbh.

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

IMO hes better at holding the ball up, better link play, better 1v1, better finisher, better lone striker.

Nisbet is very good, probably the best non-OF striker in the top flight apart from Shankland. Theyd probably work well together tbh.

Nisbet has currently more goals and assists as Shankland just now though

If Shankland played in that Hibs side his stats would be different with chances they make

I like both of them to myself the more I watch Nisbett the more I like him he is a very clever intelligent player something a bit different 

Goal against Celtic were he stopped at a stand still and scored was something you can't teach that comes national 

Same with Shankland and his goal from outside the box all down to great awareness and always being on the move great goal to

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I'd drop Taylor for Hickey and I'm not sure Gilmour will be picked by Clarke, but I pretty much agree with everything you've said. Cutting that down to 23 for the Euros becomes tricky but those midfield options...

Image result for vince mcmahon gif

Aye, having so many midfield options is why I don't really see much chance of Gilmour, Turnbull or Gauld making the 23 for the summer, but you never know if one of them gets a chance this window and does something to make themselves a serious contender while I don't see any options better than them in a 29.

Worthy of a different topic and really a discussion for after this window when we've seen what the squad is and how players have performed, but assuming everyone's fit and off-field issues aren't in the way of Gallagher I think the bolded of those 29 are definites in a 23.

McTominay, Gallagher, Tierney, O'Donnell, Robertson, McKenna, Hanley, Cooper, Palmer, Taylor

Jack, McGregor, McGinn, Christie, Armstrong, Fraser, McLean, Gilmour, Turnbull, Gauld, Forrest

That's 16 so 7 places remaining. You can debate whether we should have two or three covering at centre back. You'd normally say two is enough if all our first choices were natural centre backs and having six in a 23 man squad would be crazy, but taking three would ensure we've always got enough options to allow Tierney to cover on the left or McTominay to cover in midfield than having inferior options for covering those positions.

Say you've only got McKenna and Cooper as covering centre backs behind your first choices of - McTominay - Gallagher - Tierney then we have both Gallagher and Robertson missing a game meaning you want to move Tierney to left wing back, you'll be wishing you had a third option in case something happens during that game so all three of McKenna, Cooper and Hanley for me - I'd rather have one of them coming in a at centre back tha  Taylor in at wing back.

With enough options at centre back to always allow Tierney to to cover Robertson I'd leave Taylor out. I'd also leave Palmer out with Forrest as cover for O'Donnell.

That would leave you needing to whittle down Gilmour, McLean, Turnbull, Gauld, Griffiths, Shankland, Nisbet and Burke to four. You take two of the strikers to cover Dykes - Griffiths and Shankland for me at the moment. That leaves two places for McLean, Gilmour, Turnbull and Gauld.

If the starting midfield and attack are Jack, McGregor, McGinn, Fraser and Dykes, you've already got Christie, Armstrong and Forrest as cover with McTominay moving into midfield also an option. You obviously need at least one player to provide cover to Jack and McGregor, arguably two of them. Clarke is obviously going to pick McLean, so that leaves one place between Gilmour, Turnbull and Gauld.

Do you want Gilmour as another option to cover Jack and McGregor, in addition to McLean and McTominay? Armstrong and Christie could replace McGinn and Fraser while Forrest has also played in that Fraser role for Scotland before, so do you really need one of Turnbull or Gauld as well? Or do you have none of them and play it safe by deciding to take Palmer as well?

I'd go with Gilmour if it was being picked now, but this is probably academic because I imagine Clarke would have Paterson, McBurnie or Palmer taking the last spot over any of those three - possibly all three of them will go with no Shankland and one less centre back.

8 minutes ago, Tartan Tammy 1297 said:

Nisbet has currently more goals and assists as Shankland just now though

If Shankland played in that Hibs side his stats would be different with chances they make

I like both of them to myself the more I watch Nisbett the more I like him he is a very clever intelligent player something a bit different 

Goal against Celtic were he stopped at a stand still and scored was something you can't teach that comes national 

Same with Shankland and his goal from outside the box all down to great awareness and always being on the move great goal to

Shankland is both more clinical than Nisbet this season, and creating just less than double the amount of chances Nisbet is.

Not his fault he's in a dross side with shite team mates who miss chances/don't create any.

14 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Aye, having so many midfield options is why I don't really see much chance of Gilmour, Turnbull or Gauld making the 23 for the summer, but you never know if one of them gets a chance this window and does something to make themselves a serious contender while I don't see any options better than them in a 29.

Worthy of a different topic and really a discussion for after this window when we've seen what the squad is and how players have performed, but assuming everyone's fit and off-field issues aren't in the way of Gallagher I think the bolded of those 29 are definites in a 23.

McTominay, Gallagher, Tierney, O'Donnell, Robertson, McKenna, Hanley, Cooper, Palmer, Taylor

Jack, McGregor, McGinn, Christie, Armstrong, Fraser, McLean, Gilmour, Turnbull, Gauld, Forrest

That's 16 so 7 places remaining. You can debate whether we should have two or three covering at centre back. You'd normally say two is enough if all our first choices were natural centre backs and having six in a 23 man squad would be crazy, but taking three would ensure we've always got enough options to allow Tierney to cover on the left or McTominay to cover in midfield than having inferior options for covering those positions.

Say you've only got McKenna and Cooper as covering centre backs behind your first choices of - McTominay - Gallagher - Tierney then we have both Gallagher and Robertson missing a game meaning you want to move Tierney to left wing back, you'll be wishing you had a third option in case something happens during that game so all three of McKenna, Cooper and Hanley for me - I'd rather have one of them coming in a at centre back tha  Taylor in at wing back.

With enough options at centre back to always allow Tierney to to cover Robertson I'd leave Taylor out. I'd also leave Palmer out with Forrest as cover for O'Donnell.

That would leave you needing to whittle down Gilmour, McLean, Turnbull, Gauld, Griffiths, Shankland, Nisbet and Burke to four. You take two of the strikers to cover Dykes - Griffiths and Shankland for me at the moment. That leaves two places for McLean, Gilmour, Turnbull and Gauld.

If the starting midfield and attack are Jack, McGregor, McGinn, Fraser and Dykes, you've already got Christie, Armstrong and Forrest as cover with McTominay moving into midfield also an option. You obviously need at least one player to provide cover to Jack and McGregor, arguably two of them. Clarke is obviously going to pick McLean, so that leaves one place between Gilmour, Turnbull and Gauld.

Do you want Gilmour as another option to cover Jack and McGregor, in addition to McLean and McTominay? Armstrong and Christie could replace McGinn and Fraser while Forrest has also played in that Fraser role for Scotland before, so do you really need one of Turnbull or Gauld as well? Or do you have none of them and play it safe by deciding to take Palmer as well?

I'd go with Gilmour if it was being picked now, but this is probably academic because I imagine Clarke would have Paterson, McBurnie or Palmer taking the last spot over any of those three - possibly all three of them will go with no Shankland and one less centre back.

Really outlines how difficult Clarke's job is for a 23 man squad. Are we certain he'll take Forrest? He apparently only started full training on Monday, it could be argued the likes of Turnbull or Gauld are more deserving of a place given their form and fitness. I think if it was my choice, I'd go with the following 23 men at the moment:

McTominay, Gallagher, Tierney, O'Donnell, Robertson, Hanley, Cooper, Palmer

Jack, McGregor, McGinn, Christie, Armstrong, Fraser, McLean, Turnbull, Gauld, 

Dykes, Griffiths, Shankland

Is a major tournament the time to introduce Nisbet into the national side? I personally think he's better than Shankland (That might well be down to unconcious bias) but I'd go with Shankland on the basis that he's worked with the squad and more settled. I don't think there's enough of a difference to justify it.

Edited by Ludo*1

9 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Is a major tournament the time to introduce Nisbet into the national side? I personally think he's better than Shankland (That might well be down to unconcious bias) but I'd go with Shankland on the basis that he's worked with the squad and more settled. I don't think there's enough of a difference to justify it.

There's games before to give Nisbet, and indeed Shankland, a chance.

I'd rather have them both as options rather than dross like Paterson, McBurnie and Burke.

Goalkeeper - Marshall, Gordon, McLaughlin

Back 3 - McTominay, Tierney, Gallagher, Cooper, McKenna

R W Back - O'Donnell, Fraser 

L W Back - Robertson, Taylor

Centre Mid - Jack, McGinn, McGregor, Gilmour

Attacking Mid - Armstrong, Gauld, McLean, Christie 

Striker - Dykes, Shankland, Nisbet

4 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Obviously dependent on the fitness of McKenna and Forrest, if McKenna's back by then he'll be in but it could be too soon for Forrest even if he's getting some games for Celtic by that point. As Covid regulations currently stand there's no exemption for elite athletes travelling from Portugal, so Gauld wouldn't be allowed to travel unless that changes as well.

There are also question marks on Gallagher and Nisbet if their attempts to force transfers are continuing to backfire and they aren't playing again yet, but you'd think the lack of game time is more likely to become an issue for the summer if they're still sitting on the bench or in the stand for the rest of the season. Although while I wouldn't pick him, I'd expect Clarke to persist with McBurnie so Nisbet is the most likely to make way for him anyway.

Aside from McBurnie, the players I've not selected there who were included in the last two windows are McCrorie, Considine, Porteous, Hanlon, Fleck and Paterson. You'd think Fleck is next in line in midfield and only injuries would get the rest in, but Clarke does seem to have a thing for Paterson.

Barring someone like Hickey breaking through, John Souttar both getting fit much earlier than expected and playing well enough for a call up despite playing in the Championship or someone emerging from nowhere, that's pretty much the whole pool of options for this window and for the summer.

Jack Hendry should be in the squad , especially if Gallagher is going to be out